F
FlyersFan123
Guest
Hello - first off, i’m new here…so thanks for having me! I searched a bit for an answer to my question…but didn’t have much luck.
So, long story (somewhat) short - I was baptized (roman catholic) as a child and received all sacraments through confirmation. My beliefs has since changed, so I formally notified my priest that i now consider myself an atheist, after which he told me that he marked my baptismal record and told me to talk to him again if i wish to come back to the church. I believe that means I formally ‘defected’ from the church.
So to the point of this post…I’ve been dating a lovely catholic girl for a while now and we’re talking about the idea of marriage in our future…but we both are a bit stumped. I know catholics can marry un-baptized people if they receive a dispensation, and they can marry also marry a baptized non-catholic w/ permission…but what the heck do i qualify as?
Does the church still consider me a baptized catholic? If so…what does that mean in terms of a catholic (sacramental) marriage? Do i need to regain ‘good standing’ before that could happen?
Or, since i formally defected, am I considered a baptized non-catholic?
Any insight on this situation would be greatly appreciated, as it obviously has some big implications. Thanks!
So, long story (somewhat) short - I was baptized (roman catholic) as a child and received all sacraments through confirmation. My beliefs has since changed, so I formally notified my priest that i now consider myself an atheist, after which he told me that he marked my baptismal record and told me to talk to him again if i wish to come back to the church. I believe that means I formally ‘defected’ from the church.
So to the point of this post…I’ve been dating a lovely catholic girl for a while now and we’re talking about the idea of marriage in our future…but we both are a bit stumped. I know catholics can marry un-baptized people if they receive a dispensation, and they can marry also marry a baptized non-catholic w/ permission…but what the heck do i qualify as?
Does the church still consider me a baptized catholic? If so…what does that mean in terms of a catholic (sacramental) marriage? Do i need to regain ‘good standing’ before that could happen?
Or, since i formally defected, am I considered a baptized non-catholic?
Any insight on this situation would be greatly appreciated, as it obviously has some big implications. Thanks!