J
johnbres2
Guest
Like many Catholics, I have not given the New American Bible much credence as a legit Catholic Bible. I have looked first to the Douay Rheims, the Confraternity version, or the RSV-SCE. I have been prejudiced against the NAB mainly for three reasons: the inclusive language negatively impacting the psalms, the Luke 1:28 “hail, favored one,” and the footnotes and chapter introductions. These two perceived flaws shone so brightly to me, along with the constant criticisms of so many Catholics, that I have never really given the NAB a fair shake. I had in fact liked the 1970 version more than the new one, but even that one remained near the bottom of my proverbial pile of bibles. My point here is that I find myself going more and more to the NAB, for the quality of its language, and the clarity and readability of its prose. I conducted a “blind” test on my wife recently, reading several passages from both the NAB and the RSV-SCE and had her pick which one she thought sounded better (i.e. more harmonious, clear, etc.). In each instance she picked the NAB reading, and I found myself agreeing with her. The fact is, that despite its imperfections, the NAB seems to have many qualities to it that I have overlooked. I know it is not approved in the lectionary, etc., but perhaps many of us should give it another chance and look at it with fresh eyes.