NAB study notes question. MATT 17:7

  • Thread starter Thread starter cubemonkey
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cubemonkey

Guest
Hey there. I have been reading the NAB. (Which I guess alot of Catholics don’t like, they prefer the RSV. I actually like both, But I really like the translation style of the NAB).

OK, looking at Matt 17:7:
7: But Jesus came and touched them. “Get up,” he said. “Don’t be afraid.”

The study notes says "probably a Mattian (sp) addition from Dan 10:10

10 A hand touched me and set me trembling on my hands and knees. 11 He said, “Daniel, you who are highly esteemed, consider carefully the words I am about to speak to you, and stand up, for I have now been sent to you.” And when he said this to me, I stood up trembling.

My question is does this note indicate that Matthew just added this from Daniel, maybe because it was the same kind of situation? (vs. Dan 10:10 was an angel representing Christ, so now Christ would have the same behavior here)?

Just looking for some clarification on this. Maybe these are just “liberal” study notes.
Thats fine, I just want to be sure I understand correctly.

thanks!
Jay
 
I think what the notes mean by a ‘Matthean addition’, is the Matthew is the only Gospel that has the disciples falling down and prostrating themselves in fear. The notes are not saying that Matthew made this up, Matthew probably had another witness that the other Gospel writers did not have. The 'cf ’ reference to Daniel probably just alerts the reader to a similiar situation in another Bible book. Thats my take on it.
 
Thank you. I would not think a gospel writer would be (humor) just pulling something from
daniel or any OT verse that might match the situation. “ok, we have a deadline to meet!”. 🙂

You may know of all the theories on why matt and luke have so much of mark. When I
saw that “matthian addition” i though of the writers of luke and Matt just lifting stuff. Like
some having to get their school report done. 🙂 no, that is not the case. I am sure there
are scholars that prove thats the case.

The study notes in the NAB take a different (more formal?) take than your average protestant study bible. More textual criticism. I think, if thats the term for it.

Jay
 
I guess there is someone who really has some issues with the NAB:

pugiofidei.com/NAB.htm#1

Whoa big fella! 🙂

I knew i smelled modernism with that study note. However, I do like the translation. Yes, it has inclusive language ect. I wouldn’t use it as a study bible, although alot of the study notes have some interesting history things behind some of the sayings ect.

It’s too bad we can’t have one magic translation, one family of actual manuscripts .
That is not in Gods plan, but it would greatly assist us anal retentive people. 🙂
Actually, the different families of manuscripts, make absolutely no difference. I don’t want anyone to think there are actual conflicts between ms familes, like Vatacanus, Byz ms, Alexandrus ect. I am getting off point here, but wanted to say that.

j
 
Ode to a knucklehead:

God wrote the bible, as he inspired (God breathed). But, the human author who aspired life in his writing, is he the author of the footnotes?

Does not the Devil himself quote scripture and say “Scripture has it…” and “turn these stones into bread?”

What then, does scripture really mean that God is interested in making Rocks in the desert into something to fill the belly? (The belly is their God, vile beasts.) The manna fell from heaven, and hail it was not. Does that bug you, (??!it was not a honey dew list from SSSatan!?? but a gift from God! giving life to the world, not to those who died in eating wrongly. )

But speak of the devil, It’s folly not to notice that in Jesus’ temptation the devil was speaking to one from the “house of bread”, BethLEHEM, whom is a chip off the rock of Abraham (cf. Isaiah). Jesus, son of nun, Look to Abraham from whom you are Hewn, and to Sarah the quarry from which you are dug; o the House of Bread will come to be, and not from Jordan’s muddy banks are the rocks of the foundation but from those dipped into its waters who were not God’s people, but who now are. God can make children to Abraham from these Rocks for God saves not just God starts from nothing again; Knucklehead. He doesn’t need you, Pharisee, with a polish not to his specification.

What then of the article from a “Catholic” with no impramateur, no nihil Obstat; Much he says is true, to be sure – for he quotes scripture and pope.
Whoa slick fella. The real article speaks for itself.

Why are you trying to kill me?

–Peace, I leave with you, will you return it to me? Sabbath your soul in God.

( I don’t mind reading a bit, but a several page scholarly article with subtle points was a bit much cut and paste to my taste… ) Whoa Haaaus!
 
Hey there. I have been reading the NAB. (Which I guess alot of Catholics don’t like, they prefer the RSV. I actually like both, But I really like the translation style of the NAB).

OK, looking at Matt 17:7:
7: But Jesus came and touched them. “Get up,” he said. “Don’t be afraid.”

The study notes says "probably a Mattian (sp) addition from Dan 10:10

10 A hand touched me and set me trembling on my hands and knees. 11 He said, “Daniel, you who are highly esteemed, consider carefully the words I am about to speak to you, and stand up, for I have now been sent to you.” And when he said this to me, I stood up trembling.

My question is does this note indicate that Matthew just added this from Daniel, maybe because it was the same kind of situation? (vs. Dan 10:10 was an angel representing Christ, so now Christ would have the same behavior here)?

thanks!
Jay
Hi Jay, GREAT QUESTION!

Here is Haydock’s commentary on the verses:

Ver. 6
. And were very much afraid. There were two causes that might produce this fear in the apostles, the cloud that overshadowed them, or the voice of God the Father, which they heard. Their human weakness could not bear such refulgent beams of glory, and trembling in every limb, they fall prostrate on the ground. (St. Jerome) — The Almighty, it seems, was pleased to fulfil the wish of Peter, thereby to shew that Himself is the tent or pavilion, under the shade of which the blessed shall live for ever, and to sanction the public and explicit confession of Peter relative to the divinity of Jesus Christ, by his own no less public and explicit confession, joined with an express command to hear and obey him. St. Chrysostom very justly remarks, that this voice was not heard till after the departure of Moses and Elias, that no possible doubt might exist to whom it was referred, and that it was to Christ only and to no other. — Hear ye Him: i.e. as the law and the prophets are fulfilled and verified in Jesus Christ, your new legislator and prophet, you are to hear and obey Him in preference to either Moses or Elias, or any other teacher. (Haydock)

Ver. 7. And Jesus came and touched. The terrified disciples were still prostrate on the ground, and unable to rise, when Jesus, with his usual benevolence, approaches, touches them, expels their fear, and restores them to the use of their limbs.

***Jay, I would take it as a factual occurence; being in th ivine Presence of the Almighty, this sems a normal responce, and likely what was told to Matthew, who is simply recounting it

I rather doubt that the “DAN” verse played into it al all.***.
 
No, God is not the author of footnotes. But it is interesting to me much like textual criticism is interesting to other people. NOTHING to do with the Holy Word of God.

I think CAL and PJM answered my question. I greatly appreciate it:

Ver. 7. And Jesus came and touched. The terrified disciples were still prostrate on the ground, and unable to rise, when Jesus, with his usual benevolence, approaches, touches them, expels their fear, and restores them to the use of their limbs.

Jay, I would take it as a factual occurence; being in th ivine Presence of the Almighty, this sems a normal responce, and likely what was told to Matthew, who is simply recounting it
…
I think what the notes mean by a ‘Matthean addition’, is the Matthew is the only Gospel that has the disciples falling down and prostrating themselves in fear. The notes are not saying that Matthew made this up, Matthew probably had another witness that the other Gospel writers did not have. The 'cf ’ reference to Daniel probably just alerts the reader to a similiar situation in another Bible book. Thats my take on it.
…

Did some checking, some other bibles have that cross reference in their study notes.

Thank you! forums.catholic-questions.org/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

jay
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top