Name It, Claim It

  • Thread starter Thread starter FCEGM
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FCEGM

Guest
Does anyone know of a good critique from the Catholic pov of the “Prosperity Gospel” (aka “Name it and claim it”)? I did a search for an appropriate article in THIS ROCK, but was unable to locate one.

Thank you.
 
I think those people need to take a good look at the real world, first of all, and notice that there are a lot of devoutly faithful Christian people who are very poor, and they should also read the Book of Ecclesiastes, which comments on this reality.

A close reading of the New Testament would reveal the same thing - if St. Paul believed in a “name it and claim it” Gospel, then he would not have submitted to spending so much time homeless and in jail.
 
I think those people need to take a good look at the real world, first of all, and notice that there are a lot of devoutly faithful Christian people who are very poor, and they should also read the Book of Ecclesiastes, which comments on this reality.

A close reading of the New Testament would reveal the same thing - if St. Paul believed in a “name it and claim it” Gospel, then he would not have submitted to spending so much time homeless and in jail.
I agree, Judith. Unfortunately, this movement seems to be “invading” the charismatics at my parish 😦 , which is why I’m looking for a good critique to send along to the leader of the group.
 
I agree, Judith. Unfortunately, this movement seems to be “invading” the charismatics at my parish 😦 , which is why I’m looking for a good critique to send along to the leader of the group.
Need look no further than the example of Christ himself - where were the wealth, health, good times and prosperity that the Son of God himself surely should have had above all people??
 
I just quickly checked if the link in www.envoymagazine.com edition 4.2 worked and I could not get it to work. ITs too bad because it was a great article. Unfortunately the best articles I found are from Hank Hennegraff, those are very good but he is not Catholic. I spent almost 10 years listening to Copeland, Hagin, Dollar, Savelle etc., It was listening to Hank that got me to doubting the Prosperity Gospel which eventually led me Home.

I am curious as to why you have interest in this topic as I rarely meet catholics who do. Does it have to do with the fact you live in North Carolina?
 
Eden blew this heresy to shreds on a thread I started a way back on Mega Churches, I dont know how to copy it here or I would. She blew it to shreds I say.👍
 
I just quickly checked if the link in www.envoymagazine.com edition 4.2 worked and I could not get it to work. ITs too bad because it was a great article. Unfortunately the best articles I found are from Hank Hennegraff, those are very good but he is not Catholic. I spent almost 10 years listening to Copeland, Hagin, Dollar, Savelle etc., It was listening to Hank that got me to doubting the Prosperity Gospel which eventually led me Home.

I am curious as to why you have interest in this topic as I rarely meet catholics who do. Does it have to do with the fact you live in North Carolina?
I don’t know if it has anything to do with North Carolina ;), but I first encountered it in a book club at my parish where the book chosen for the month was by Joyce Meyer :eek:. Fortunately, my complaints and those of others brought about the dissolution of the club. Now I see this ugly head popping up again among the charismatics at the same parish.

I saw the same article at Envoy, and had the same result in trying to access it, but I did find something similar by the same author - perhaps the same article - here:

paulthigpen.com/apologetics/designerunderwear.html
 
I’ll pray for your parish and the wayward Charasmatics in it. God Lord, when will it end? how far will it go?:confused:
 
I’ll pray for your parish and the wayward Charasmatics in it. God Lord, when will it end? how far will it go?:confused:
Thank you, Damascus! It’s such things as this that makes the prayer of Advent, “Come, Lord Jesus!”, even more compelling.
 
Does anyone know of a good critique from the Catholic pov of the “Prosperity Gospel” (aka “Name it and claim it”)? I did a search for an appropriate article in THIS ROCK, but was unable to locate one.

Thank you.
This is another thing I dislike about what I perceive to be characteristic of the charismatic movement (my perception could be wrong). The movement seems to be “me” centered.

But what do I know. Pope JPII and Fr. Groeschel are ok with it.
 
I asked about North Carolina because I used to be in Amway/Quixtar for a couple of years and I got introduced to the prosperity gospel by a bunch of people living in North Carolina.
 
This is another thing I dislike about what I perceive to be characteristic of the charismatic movement (my perception could be wrong). The movement seems to be “me” centered.

But what do I know. Pope JPII and Fr. Groeschel are ok with it.
You are seriously confusing the Word of Faith Movement with the Charismatic movement. Two totally different things. See if you can delete your post as I would not want people thinking JPII was a name it and claim it Pope.
 
I want to eradicate heresy, and have all the means and resources available to do so,

But Lily M’s idea sounds good if it includes a self cleaning feature.
Or a staff of cleaners for the inside and gardeners for the outdoors 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top