X
xavierh
Guest
I would appreciate advice on this question.
My brother (raised as Catholic but now atheist) and his wife (no religious affiliation) will be having a naming ceremony for their new-born baby. I understand a Naming Ceremony is a secular humanist version of baptism - the ceremony will be presided over by a civil celebrant who will formally ‘name’ the baby and families and friends of the parents will be inducted as ‘sponsors’ who will pledge to support the upbringing of the child (secular versions of Godparents?).
Is it appropriate for me as a practicing Catholic to attend this ceremony. On the one hand I feel uncomfortable attending this sort of event. On the other hand, I do not want to offend or alienate my brother and sister-in-law - I get on quite well with them.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
My brother (raised as Catholic but now atheist) and his wife (no religious affiliation) will be having a naming ceremony for their new-born baby. I understand a Naming Ceremony is a secular humanist version of baptism - the ceremony will be presided over by a civil celebrant who will formally ‘name’ the baby and families and friends of the parents will be inducted as ‘sponsors’ who will pledge to support the upbringing of the child (secular versions of Godparents?).
Is it appropriate for me as a practicing Catholic to attend this ceremony. On the one hand I feel uncomfortable attending this sort of event. On the other hand, I do not want to offend or alienate my brother and sister-in-law - I get on quite well with them.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.