Nashville churches

• Thread starter Thread starter PKinsale
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PKinsale

I’m going to Nashville for a conference later this month, staying near Opryland. Any recommendations on good traditional (TLM or NO, the former prefered) parishes?

Although not without caveats, I suggest perhaps going to one Mass at the Nashville Dominicans’. They are NO, Eng. Mass, but the singing (probably only on Sundays?) is supposed to be lovely, and the community orthodox. However, a friend told me that they use EMHCs, which is somewhat depressing.

I’m going to Nashville for a conference later this month, staying near Opryland. Any recommendations on good traditional (TLM or NO, the former prefered) parishes?
As a resident of Nashville, and one who has been to several parishes within the diocese of Nashville, I’d recommend St. Mary’s if you are interested in the TLM. The TLM mass is celebrated on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month at 9am. The Church is about 20 to 30 minutes away from Opryland and is in the downtown area at: 330 5th Ave North. The phone number is: 615-256-1704. If you’re a history buff, it may be interesting to know that St. Mary’s is the oldest Church in Nashville (1847). Notice I said “Church” and not specifically Catholic Church. Most people are surprised to find out that in the Bible belt city of Nashville, the oldest standing Church in the city is Catholic. 👍

Unfortunately, I don’t believe that there are any really close-by Catholic Churches to the Opryland area. The closest N.O. mass can be found at Holy Rosary parish or my parish, St. Joseph (both are about 15 minutes from Opryland). You might also like the Cathedral but again, it’s located in the downtown area (20-30 minutes away). God bless.

Tietjen, I’m in Nashville as well and was under the impression that the “Latin Mass” (I put it in quotes because that’s how it’s referred to on the diocesan website) at St Mary’s is actually a Novus Ordo with parts in Latin.

I’ve been to it before…has that changed? I’m hoping so…

I believe you are right about that. I was not able to attend anyway because of my schedule and had to attend … gasp! … a Life Teen Mass Sunday night. Must be a rule here in the Archdiocese of St. Louis that all Sunday evening Masses are surrendered over to that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back