J
Jonathan_Cid
Guest
I’m an Old Catholic, and based on my Old Catholic beliefs I tend to be very “conservative” on a great deal of issues and in my attitude towards my faith and the world, but more “liberal” on other issues (or rather, details within other issues… details, details…). Some would outright categorize me as “liberal”, however. [If I had to, I would still personalize call myself conservative so that might explain the below]
Anyhow, I had heard that the National Catholic Reporter was a liberal Catholic newspaper. So I read an article online about a nun who had been thrown out of her diocese and I though maybe it’s not so bad. Just in case, I requested a sample issue of the National Catholic Reporter. Let’s just say it’s not quite what I expected. I was very disappointed. I felt like I had just read a New Age newspaper rather than a Catholic one. I felt as if these “liberal Catholics” had thrown the baby out with the bathwater, throwing out all the rich beauty of Catholic spirituality for a “hugs and kisses” bland spirituality. Yes, I have some liberal views, but that doesn’t mean I throw out all that makes me Catholic. If I wanted to do that, I wouldn’t even call myself Catholic!
How conservative is the National Catholic Register? Is it objective, or designed to argue from a conservative point of view on all issues? Even if it was, I have a feeling I would probably still prefer the National Catholic Register to the National Catholic Reporter.
Your own thoughts, opinions, on comparing these two?
Anyhow, I had heard that the National Catholic Reporter was a liberal Catholic newspaper. So I read an article online about a nun who had been thrown out of her diocese and I though maybe it’s not so bad. Just in case, I requested a sample issue of the National Catholic Reporter. Let’s just say it’s not quite what I expected. I was very disappointed. I felt like I had just read a New Age newspaper rather than a Catholic one. I felt as if these “liberal Catholics” had thrown the baby out with the bathwater, throwing out all the rich beauty of Catholic spirituality for a “hugs and kisses” bland spirituality. Yes, I have some liberal views, but that doesn’t mean I throw out all that makes me Catholic. If I wanted to do that, I wouldn’t even call myself Catholic!
How conservative is the National Catholic Register? Is it objective, or designed to argue from a conservative point of view on all issues? Even if it was, I have a feeling I would probably still prefer the National Catholic Register to the National Catholic Reporter.
Your own thoughts, opinions, on comparing these two?