Natural Family Planning Classes- too expensive!

  • Thread starter Thread starter ac_claire
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I had no idea that this such program exsisted. Does the “Planning” refer to as in how the finance and structure of roles in the family should be or the what I fear; that the marriage should plan out when to have children?
The latter, The previous poster is a good example of the sum of this whole discussion.
Neither.

Natural Family Planning classes usually only discuss bodily functions of the woman’s fertility.

The nature of WHY or WHEN it should be used is not written in stone, however the Church teaches (although as some may find - certain parishes or programs may not pass on this teaching properly) that it should be PRAYERFULLY discerned for just/serious/grave reasons.
 
Wow, I had no idea that this such program exsisted. Does the “Planning” refer to as in how the finance and structure of roles in the family should be or the what I fear; that the marriage should plan out when to have children?
I find it hard to believe you have never heard of any natural methods to plan out when to have children. People have been using different methods for spacing their children since cave man days, the only difference is that the science has gotten more refined and more accurate in predicting when a woman will be fertile. Before NFP people would just use extended breastfeeding or complete abstinence to plan out when to have children.
 
As Catholics, we have a responsibility (once we learn) to teach others the teachings of the Church, in all matters. I call it ‘‘planting seeds.’’ It is up to God, to do the rest, to move the person/persons to change, to accepting the teachings, and living them out. That is NOT up to any of us. It is not up to us to tell another…’‘I don’t think you have grave enough reasons for spacing your kids.’’ It’s just not. We plant seeds, and we have to trust that those seeds will grow, through God. Perhaps, people who point that finger think they are doing the person a great service, but in the end, you appear self righteous. “Look at me, and the choices I have made, and YOU should be living like this, too.” We’re not called to do that, whatsoever. We’re called as Catholics to teach the faith, and help those who are struggling in understanding. Not try to interpret who is has grave reasons and who doesn’t…that’s God’s job. Ours is to teach, and support…not judge.
 
*As Catholics, we have a responsibility (once we learn) to teach others the teachings of the Church, in all matters. I call it ‘‘planting seeds.’’ It is up to God, to do the rest, to move the person/persons to change, to accepting the teachings, and living them out. That is NOT up to any of us. It is not up to us to tell another…’‘I don’t think you have grave enough reasons for spacing your kids.’’ It’s just not. We plant seeds, and we have to trust that those seeds will grow, through God. Perhaps, people who point that finger think they are doing the person a great service, but in the end, you appear self righteous. “Look at me, and the choices *I have made, and YOU should be living like this, too.” We’re not called to do that, whatsoever. We’re called as Catholics to teach the faith, and help those who are struggling in understanding. Not try to interpret who is has grave reasons and who doesn’t…that’s God’s job. Ours is to teach, and support…not judge.
Wonderful words! I think that perhaps why they don’t go into the specifics in marriage prep. as to what constitutes a grave reason is because it can get so tricky and we as outsiders really can’t be the ones to judge if they are using a contraceptive mindset or not. We don’t know all of the facts, but that doesn’t mean that NFP can’t be abused. I think that what needs to be done is that we need to promote praying for guidance in a marriage whether or not they should space their children out for a while, even go to adoration about it, communicate as a couple the issues that they are facing, and bring it up with a solid priest.

I agree that many people may in fact be using NFP for the wrong reasons at times, but that is not a reason for not practicing NFP. That’s a reason for improving MARRIAGE PREPARATION. The priest or whoever is leading it should teach NFP as it was meant to be taught, IN THE TRUE SPIRIT OF NFP.

Sure, a married couple abstaining strictly because they want a lot of material goods would be abusing NFP, but a couple abstaining for other financial reasons such as how very low of a salerie one or both spouses are making, one or both in very much debt, getting laid off of a job (inspecially in this economy today) would definitely be factors to consider for using NFP at the discretion of God, the couple, and a solid priest giving the couple direction. There is no quota in the Church for how many children a couple is required to have. Some saints came from big families and others from small ones. For some people, having a big family would leave them backrupt on the streets. Catechists are not known for making that much money, and if two catechists were to say get married and have fifteen kids they would be in big trouble (unless other people supported them as well. Most families probably wouldn’t want to beg for loads of money though.)

NFP is definitely not the same as using contraception. Jason Evert, orthodox chastity speaker and apologist for Catholic Ansers, recently wrote a book called “Pure Intimacy” which is about NFP and the benefits of it. Here are some links from his site regarding some of the common misconceptions of NFP.

chastity.com/node/209

chastity.com/node/210

That’s all I have to say about the matter.

Ave Maria and Pax Christi.
 
One thing that really strikes me with the question of discerning when it is appropriate to use NFP is the question of the “spiritual advisor.” I know this is something some Catholics have, though I have noticed it seems more common among the Orthodox. Often this person is not the same as the parish priest or confessor, and may not be a priest at all. A monastic for example, or very faithful, educated and experienced lay person.

This, I think, is the kind of person who should be assisting individual couples in making decisions about NFP. He or she would have a much more intimate knowledge of the people and circumstances involved, and so could give good recommendations and help the couple explore their fears/difficulties/etc. It is always hard to look at one’s own situation really objectivly.
 
One thing that really strikes me with the question of discerning when it is appropriate to use NFP is the question of the “spiritual advisor.” I know this is something some Catholics have, though I have noticed it seems more common among the Orthodox. Often this person is not the same as the parish priest or confessor, and may not be a priest at all. A monastic for example, or very faithful, educated and experienced lay person.

This, I think, is the kind of person who should be assisting individual couples in making decisions about NFP. He or she would have a much more intimate knowledge of the people and circumstances involved, and so could give good recommendations and help the couple explore their fears/difficulties/etc. It is always hard to look at one’s own situation really objectivly.
Or even better if you have time to consult with a spiritual advisor you might be able to squeeze in more children.
 
NFP International, founded by the Kippleys, have a free online NFP manual which covers all the fertility signs and eco-breastfeeding for spacing births plus Church teaching. It is available at www.NFPandmore.org. One can learn NFP through their Home Study Course as a requirement for marriage preparation. A course certificate is given after completion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top