Natural Family Planning Classes- too expensive!

  • Thread starter Thread starter ac_claire
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ac_claire

Guest
Ok so my fiance and I have to take a NFP course-- with certificates to prove we’ve completed it-- before we can get married. We’re looking to do this online for logistical reasons. All I’ve found so far is the Couple to Couple League which is charging $159 for a home course, complete with thermometers and charting calendars, etc. We don’t need all that and we surely can’t afford $159.

Anyone know of any other online courses or ways we can go about getting these certificates that won’t leave us broke?

Thanks for the help! 🙂
 
I’m not sure about online options, but my DH and I (when we were engaged) went to one in person. The diocese waived a great deal of our fees because we are students and money was quite tight. I’d try calling and asking, it never hurts.
 
Do all couples have to take an NFP class prior to marriage? If so, why? I am curious. Thanks.
 
Contact your diocese - sometimes they have classes and can help if they are too expensive… our diocese classes were less than $30.

Also, maybe a good place to start would be nfpandmore.com/nfphowto.shtml
 
Do all couples have to take an NFP class prior to marriage? If so, why? I am curious. Thanks.
That is an excellent question lol.

No, not all couples have to but certain diocese have started requiring it at the behest of the USCCB. Austin happens to be one of them.

NFP classes are not one of the impediments to marriage according to the Church. They techinically can’t refuse us the sacrament because we can’t afford this class. But if possible and if we can find a free or affordable class we’d like to just do it and get it over with instead of fighting it.
 
Honestly, I don’t think $159 is unreasonable, although I’m sure you can find it cheaper. I know Creighton teachers teach on a sliding scale.

Perhaps you have caught me on a bad day, but I just find it sad that people (in general, not you specifically… I don’t know your circumstances) want to complain about having to pay money for NFP classes, for this and for that, but yet will go spend more than that on things that have no eternal benefit.

Your second post talking about “getting it over with” saddens me too. Honestly, it makes me sick.
 
In our area, local Catholic hospitals offer classes which charge around $30 to $50 usually. Also, some parishes offer programs taught by parishioners free of charge. Perhaps you can spend a little time researching this to find out.
 
Ok so my fiance and I have to take a NFP course-- with certificates to prove we’ve completed it-- before we can get married. We’re looking to do this online for logistical reasons. All I’ve found so far is the Couple to Couple League which is charging $159 for a home course, complete with thermometers and charting calendars, etc. We don’t need all that and we surely can’t afford $159.

Anyone know of any other online courses or ways we can go about getting these certificates that won’t leave us broke?

Thanks for the help! 🙂
If you can find an in person class, that would be better. Really $159 isn’t that bad considering how much you’ll be spending on other things that are wedding related. Contact your diocese and see what options they have if it is a financial burden.
 
That is an excellent question lol.

No, not all couples have to but certain diocese have started requiring it at the behest of the USCCB. Austin happens to be one of them.

NFP classes are not one of the impediments to marriage according to the Church. They techinically can’t refuse us the sacrament because we can’t afford this class. But if possible and if we can find a free or affordable class we’d like to just do it and get it over with instead of fighting it.
Are you not planning on using NFP? It’s wonderful if your totally open to whatever children God wishes to give you but there may come a time in your marriage you may need to space your children.
 
What about Billings Method? I see someone has already suggested the WOOMB site since you’re looking to do this online. Personally I think face-to-face instruction is most helpful, although that’s purely my opinion. Any Billings instructors in your area? I remember paying something like $35 for my initial Billings instruction. Not at all expensive.
 
Ok so my fiance and I have to take a NFP course-- with certificates to prove we’ve completed it-- before we can get married. We’re looking to do this online for logistical reasons. All I’ve found so far is the Couple to Couple League which is charging $159 for a home course, complete with thermometers and charting calendars, etc. We don’t need all that and we surely can’t afford $159.

Anyone know of any other online courses or ways we can go about getting these certificates that won’t leave us broke?

Thanks for the help! 🙂
NFP class is NOT required in order to get married. If anyone is telling you it is (especially a priest) you need to speak with another priest or the Bishop.
 
Thanks much for all the suggestions! 🙂 A few replies:
Honestly, I don’t think $159 is unreasonable, although I’m sure you can find it cheaper. I know Creighton teachers teach on a sliding scale.

Perhaps you have caught me on a bad day, but I just find it sad that people (in general, not you specifically… I don’t know your circumstances) want to complain about having to pay money for NFP classes, for this and for that, but yet will go spend more than that on things that have no eternal benefit.

Your second post talking about “getting it over with” saddens me too. Honestly, it makes me sick.
Ok…I have absolutely no idea what “makes you sick” but I’m sorry you feel that way. Anyhow thanks for the suggestion of Creighton, I put it on the list and will look into it as a possibility.

To answer your questions-- Yes, you’re right about our circumstances and $159 is too much for us. We are on an extremely tight budget and aren’t spending all that much on the wedding to start with. We will basically just receive the sacrament in a simple ceremony (with the two of us, the priest and a few witnesses) or in a Nuptial Mass during a regular daily Mass. As far as a wedding gown, wedding ring for me, flowers, photographer, wedding coordinator, music, caterer, fancy reception, etc., etc.-- we will have none of those things.

Now as far as NFP, we have no objection to it…we just don’t need the classes. We already know (I’ve known for years) what it is, how it works and how we will utilize it if necessary. But we must do the classes to get the certificate because of my parish’s requirement.
Are you not planning on using NFP? It’s wonderful if your totally open to whatever children God wishes to give you but there may come a time in your marriage you may need to space your children.
We’re not planning on using NFP, but we do know it’s there if/when we ever need it.
What about Billings Method? I see someone has already suggested the WOOMB site since you’re looking to do this online. Personally I think face-to-face instruction is most helpful, although that’s purely my opinion. Any Billings instructors in your area? I remember paying something like $35 for my initial Billings instruction. Not at all expensive.
Yeah, thanks to the two of you who’ve recommended the Billings Method. 🙂 If I can find an affordable instructor or online course then I’ll ask our priest if this will fulfill the requirement.
NFP class is NOT required in order to get married. If anyone is telling you it is (especially a priest) you need to speak with another priest or the Bishop.
You’re right, it’s not a requirement for the Church, but the USCCB has said that individual parishes can require it now. Even the USCCB ackowledges that this may be against canon law, but that doesn’t seem to bother them lol. So, if we are unable to find a class we can afford we’re definitely going to talk with the priest about it. The Church can never charge for a sacrament, yet this is basically what this NFP requirement amount to.
 
Ok…I have absolutely no idea what “makes you sick” but I’m sorry you feel that way.
I think 1ke understandably, but incorrectly, thought you were saying “get it over with” meant you thought it was a waste of time because you didn’t intend to follow the Church’s teachings (i.e. you’d be contracepting). I thought that too from your first posting, but you’ve since clarified 🙂

BTW, we took the classes in-person in our diocese 3 years ago and I think it was around $40. Best of luck in finding a cheaper alternative!

Don’t be too hard on the Church in the US for requiring it. The rule is there for the 99% of Catholics who want to get married in the Church but have no intention of following her rules - this is a chance to open their eyes. You are a rare exception who, unfortunately, gets caught up in some unneeded classes.
 
You’re right, it’s not a requirement for the Church, but the USCCB has said that individual parishes can require it now. Even the USCCB ackowledges that this may be against canon law, but that doesn’t seem to bother them lol. So, if we are unable to find a class we can afford we’re definitely going to talk with the priest about it. The Church can never charge for a sacrament, yet this is basically what this NFP requirement amount to.
Depending on how you feel about traditional parishs, look for one that is run by the FSSP (Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter) ICTK (Institute of Christ the King) or Saint John Cantius society. If you have been properly formed they will happily marry you and will most definity NOT require you to have NFP classes.

FSSP and ICTK are both independent orders. This just means they don’t report to the local Bishop and hence are not bound these silly NFP rules some diocese are enacting. They report to the superior of their order.
 
This just means they don’t report to the local Bishop and hence are not bound these silly NFP rules some diocese are enacting.
What is silly about asking engaged couples to learn about a legitimate method of family planning when the vast majority of Catholics contracept?
 
What is silly about asking engaged couples to learn about a legitimate method of family planning when the vast majority of Catholics contracept?
It’s more than silly if they try to make these classes a requirement to receive the sacrament of matrimony. And unless you can find a free course, it violates canon law as well since the Church can’t charge for a sacrament.

It’s also disheartening that the standards and expectations are being lowered for everyone because there exist some selfish Cafeteria Catholics who choose willfullness over obedience. Without knowing anything about us the USCCB is assuming that we’d rather live in sin than obey the Church. That’s the opposite of good leadership.

Also, keep in mind that most Catholics who use ABC don’t do so because they lack sufficient knowledge of NFP. They contracept because they want to, period.
 
Depending on how you feel about traditional parishs, look for one that is run by the FSSP (Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter) ICTK (Institute of Christ the King) or Saint John Cantius society. If you have been properly formed they will happily marry you and will most definity NOT require you to have NFP classes.

FSSP and ICTK are both independent orders. This just means they don’t report to the local Bishop and hence are not bound these silly NFP rules some diocese are enacting. They report to the superior of their order.
Jurisdiction? Can’t perform a wedding without jurisdiction. I’m just wondering how a Bishop would grant jurisdiction when the order isn’t following his rules within his diocese.
 
It’s more than silly if they try to make these classes a requirement to receive the sacrament of matrimony. And unless you can find a free course, it violates canon law as well since the Church can’t charge for a sacrament.

It’s also disheartening that the standards and expectations are being lowered for everyone because there exist some selfish Cafeteria Catholics who choose willfullness over obedience. Without knowing anything about us the USCCB is assuming that we’d rather live in sin than obey the Church. That’s the opposite of good leadership.

Also, keep in mind that most Catholics who use ABC don’t do so because they lack sufficient knowledge of NFP. They contracept because they want to, period.
I think it helps if we know the ages of the engaged couple. If we are speaking of a couple in their 50’s, well, yes it would seem a bit silly to require NFP.

But if we are talking about a couple in their 20’s, well, it’ a different story. I have 2 married daughters in their 20’s and I am so glad they were able to learn NFP. When I was first married, we had no idea what it was. What I like about NFP is that it honors the cycles of a woman, and the husband learns how wonderfully and intricately made his wife really is. The husband and wife learn to respect and love each other on a whole new level. Why wouldn’t anyone want that?

I believe NFP is important enough that if I didn’t have the money, I would take on some babysitting to get the $159 needed. Or if your church will cover the cost for you, that’s good, too.

In any event, congrats on your engagement OP.
 
It’s more than silly if they try to make these classes a requirement to receive the sacrament of matrimony. And unless you can find a free course, it violates canon law as well since the Church can’t charge for a sacrament.

It’s also disheartening that the standards and expectations are being lowered for everyone because there exist some selfish Cafeteria Catholics who choose willfullness over obedience. Without knowing anything about us the USCCB is assuming that we’d rather live in sin than obey the Church. That’s the opposite of good leadership.

Also, keep in mind that most Catholics who use ABC don’t do so because they lack sufficient knowledge of NFP. They contracept because they want to, period.
I’m of the opinion that it should be mandatory for all couples prior to marriage, and that it should be provided free of charge AND at your local parish. I would also add the requirement for new members entering the Church who are already married and need their marriage convalidated as well. I believe it would be very much worth the investment for the community. If I was not an “interested and practicing” Catholic I would never have even heard of it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top