Code:
Originally Posted by **NguyenKimPhat** [forums.catholic-questions.org/images/buttons_khaki/viewpost.gif](http://forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?p=6368095#post6368095)
*Do you guys know any couple who has practiced NFP for the purpose of decreasing the number of pregnancies and thereby actually did in the end have a SMALLER family with less children? In other words, have you guys seen with your own eyes any time when NFP has actually helped to decrease the number of children?*
Sure-- there are a couple of moms here on CAF with health issues that preclude either getting pregnant or having any additional children. They use NFP and seem to plan to do so indefinitely, given their situations. And IRL I have a friend who was told to stop after her first baby because of serious complications. She
decided (not a whoopsie!) to have a second so her son wouldn’t be an only, but then really did stop (using NFP) because more would have been too dangerous. I have another friend who has stopped at three, also an NFP user, and while I don’t want to pry, my sense is that there are tensions in her marriage due to some major personality issues on her husband’s part that having another baby would not be prudent.
I can’t quite understand why you view my having a large family as evidence that it doesn’t actually “work.” There have been several episodes in my life when I needed, for reasons of health or sanity, to
not get pregnant for a period of time. Those have ranged from periods of just a few months to over a year. NFP worked exactly as it was supposed to. My husband and I are
extremely fertile people. If we hadn’t deliberately put in some space a few times there, we’d likely have 11 or 12 children by now. Whether you find it shocking by modern standards or not, that is a reduction in the number of children.
And, frankly, I’ll need to assess again after this pregnancy if I can continue having more babies. This one has been much more physically difficult than any of the previous ones, thanks to some issues with my hip and pelvic joints. I’m in weekly physical therapy until delivery just so I can walk. I’ll certainly need to not get pregnant for a good chunk of time afterwards, as I’ll need to continue physical therapy and get put back together again like Humpty Dumpty.

So whether that turns out to be another temporary break or a permanent one, I will again need to rely on NFP for that…
Best,
Margaret
ETA: Oh, and yes, we got married
hoping for 6-10 children. And 10 wasn’t necessarily a firm cap, either. When we were buying our van several years ago, a 12-seater, (i.e. holds mom + dad + 10 kids) my husband asked me in all seriousness, “But what if we have eleven??” I told him we’d cross that bridge when we got to it…
