Need a church in downtown Minneapolis

  • Thread starter Thread starter twk001
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

twk001

Guest
i am traveling to minneapolis this weekend and will land at 8:30am. i would like to find a mass to attend that would be near downtown. i will be checking my baggage at the hotel first, so i’m guessing that i probably can’t make a mass until 10:30 or 11 at the earliest. any suggestions???
 
I don’t know where your hotel is but you could go to the Basilica.
mary.org/. They have Mass at 7:30, 9:30, and 11:30am. Pretty church, though I have never actually been to Mass there, and they might be a little happy clappy (but they do amazing work in the community down town). Otherwise you could catch the train/light rail and go over to Saint Paul’s Cathedral. It is a shrine. 👍
 
ooh jilly thanks!!! i think i’ll try to hit the basilica for the 930 if at all possible…what a beautiful church!
 
I lived in Minnesota for awhile and while it was a terrible experience, my parish was awesome. St. Charles Borromeo. It’s not downtown, but it’s not too far away either.

stchb.org

Very old school.
 
I don’t know where your hotel is but you could go to the Basilica.
mary.org/. They have Mass at 7:30, 9:30, and 11:30am. Pretty church, though I have never actually been to Mass there, and they might be a little happy clappy (but they do amazing work in the community down town). Otherwise you could catch the train/light rail and go over to Saint Paul’s Cathedral. It is a shrine. 👍
I recently attended Sunday Mass at the Basilica while visiting Minneapolis, and it was very nice. Some Gregorian chant before Mass, even! 🙂
 
You might want to check out Our Lady of Lourdes. It’s the oldest parish in Mpls, as I recall. The Mass is done rather quickly there, but they don’t leave out anything and they do it correctly with decent music–at least the last time we attended it was like that. Also, the statuary is beautiful in an historic church building.
 
The Basilica is incredible. I go to daily mass there. It’s the kind of place, if you are like me, where you can spend literally hours. If, however, you can make it over to St Paul (probably only 20 minutes drive) go to the Cathedral. IT IS WELL WORTH IT!
 
You could go to either the Basilica or the Cathedral.
Either one are incredibly beautiful.
%between%

Steph
 
I second (third?) the bascilica. I went there during a Memorial Day weekend away a couple of years back and it was very convenient to downtown. I don’t remember the music being one way or another, though.
 
I recently attended Sunday Mass at the Basilica while visiting Minneapolis, and it was very nice. Some Gregorian chant before Mass, even! 🙂
That is awesome! Funny story about the Basilica, there was a proposal to put the new vikings stadium near the church, Well the monsignor came out publicly against it and not another word was ever said about that proposed site. We were wondering what kind of clout monsignor has. :hmmm:😛
(The Basilica received millions of dollars of damages from the construction and ongoing use of the freeway I494, that goes right by it. They ended up suing the state for the damages and won, which explains why the Church opposed the site and why they had enough influence to stop it).

I hope your trip to MN is fun twk001!
 
i am traveling to minneapolis this weekend and will land at 8:30am. i would like to find a mass to attend that would be near downtown. i will be checking my baggage at the hotel first, so i’m guessing that i probably can’t make a mass until 10:30 or 11 at the earliest. any suggestions???
There is also St Olaf, which is basically “in” downtown. They have a noon Mass. I go frequently. Even though I belong to another parish, I love the Pastor and his delivery style. And deacon is fabulous if you’re lucky enough to catch one of his homilies!!! He is a regular contributor on Relavant Radio.
 
I definitely third the Basilica recommendation. Easily one of the most beautiful Basilicas in the nation!
 
It should be mentioned that the Cathedral of St. Paul is now also the National Shrine of the Apostle Paul.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top