Need a quick answer on dogma/doctrine

  • Thread starter Thread starter bejonama
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
dogma = a settled or established opinion, belief, or principle.

doctrine = a particular principle, position, or policy taught or advocated, as of a religion or government.
 
Ok from that I understand that dogma cannot be changed.

Can Catholic doctrine be changed?
 
I believe one of them can, but I don’t remember which.

The book *Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic *has an entire chapter on this very thing. It is very much worth the read if you have the time. If I can figure out where I left my copy, I’ll look it up for you and get back to you with a more precise answer.
 
Ok from that I understand that dogma cannot be changed.

Can Catholic doctrine be changed?
I don’t think doctrine can be changed. It can, however, be expounded on, I believe. Someone with more knowledge please feel free to chime in. It’s been 6 years since I’ve been exposed to religious teachings. :o
 
OK, in the book I mentioned earlier, David Currie breaks Church information down into five different groups: deposit, dogma, doctrine, discipline and devotion. He defines them as follows:

Deposit–the body of truth originally given to the Apostles, some of which was later written down, while some of it remained in its original form of oral tradition. The goal regarding the deposit is simply to maintain it with no change whatsoever.

Dogma–that body of truth that has been affirmed by the Councils of the Church and the Holy See in Rome. It is the further explanation, development or definition of concepts found within the deposit. Once dogma is declared, it can be further developed but never contradicted by future doctrine or dogma.

Doctrine–the development of truth on the basis of the deposit and dogma. **Doctrine can develop and even contradict itself over time because it is largely the thoughts of people. ** It has not been officially declared true or false by the Church.

Disciplines–those rules that govern the everyday life of faithful Catholics. This area has seen the most change since Vatican II. An example: the change in which days Catholics are required to fast from originally 12 days known as Emberdays, to what is now essentially just Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Devotions–those activities by which an individual Christian may enhance their walk with God. Devotions are never mandatory for a Catholic layman, although they may be approved and are highly recommended. A well-known example: the Rosary.

Anyways, I hope that helps.
 
A dogma is an Infallible Doctrine taught by the Pope. There aren’t many of these (I think at least 3 relate to Mary).

I was walwways taught that doctrine is a truth whose acceptance is necessary for the faithful, whether or not infallibly taught.

So while doctirne is much broader than dogma, we are bound to both. Doctrine gets its infallibility by being part of the magisterium of the Catholic Church, dogma is a specifc poiunt infallibly stated and taught by the Pope.

To clarify another point, discipline are things that can change - when we genuflect is a discipline, for example.
 
A doctrine is a belief / or concise summary of one.
For example, a heretic can have a doctrine which the church does not accept.

The Catechism has teachings, and the creeds are teachings in concise form. A doctrine is, therefore, a general term.

A dogma, however, is a statement which must be believed by the faithful. I believe dogmatic statements are true doctrines.

There have been three infallible statements made by popes excercising their authority to teach infallibly. BUT there are many dogmas besides these three which must be believed by faithful catholics.

🙂

by the way, I think my dogma ate my karma. (no reincarnation for you!) 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top