S
squain
Guest
I am a Catholic university student, and have been trying to engage my Evangelical Protestant friends about scriptural passages… however I am finding this overwhelmingly frustrating.
Even though these same Evangelicals steadfastly claim that scripture cannot and should not be “interpreted” (they claim that scripture needs no interpretation, the meaning of the words of scripture are “self evident”), it seems that every time I talk about a passage, they espouse their own “interpretation” of what that passage means…ie John 6, Matthew 16, etc.
I wonder if they can see how illogical (hypocritical?) they are in claiming that scripture needs no interpretation, yet they (and their pastors, and their thousands of churches) offer endless interpretations of their own… it seems like every discussion just turns into a vicious circle with me simply trying to get them to try to understand what scripture means instead of offering their pastors or their personal interpretations of what scripture means.
Can anyone help?
Even though these same Evangelicals steadfastly claim that scripture cannot and should not be “interpreted” (they claim that scripture needs no interpretation, the meaning of the words of scripture are “self evident”), it seems that every time I talk about a passage, they espouse their own “interpretation” of what that passage means…ie John 6, Matthew 16, etc.
I wonder if they can see how illogical (hypocritical?) they are in claiming that scripture needs no interpretation, yet they (and their pastors, and their thousands of churches) offer endless interpretations of their own… it seems like every discussion just turns into a vicious circle with me simply trying to get them to try to understand what scripture means instead of offering their pastors or their personal interpretations of what scripture means.
Can anyone help?