F
Frozen
Guest
I’m 40 years old. I’ve been married for 12 years. This is my second marriage. I have one child (age 16) from my first marriage and 2 from the current marriage (ages 6 and 4).
My husband has not held a full-time job for over 6 years. He currently has a part-time job – about 12 hours a week at minimum wage. He stays at home with the 4 year old, but she ends up sitting in front of the TV most of the day. The house is a wreck. I work full-time and can’t keep up with the housework on my own. I’ve reached a point where I really need to get out of this situation. He can’t help support our family, he can’t/won’t help around the house. We don’t talk, we don’t share a bedroom. I feel like I have an overgrown teenager living with me. Only, he’s never going to grow up and move out.
He has epilepsy, and it seems that he has some brain damage from seizures. He’s had neuropsych evals done that show his cognitive processing is impaired. His processing speed is in the 4th percentile. They also tell us that he has executive dysfunction – which means that he has trouble prioritizing tasks. All this makes it difficult for him to communicate, since he can’t organize his thoughts very well. He has a master’s degree in Chemistry, and has experience working with fancy analytical machines, but he can’t get past the interview process.
I feel like he could take care of himself if he had to. The problem is, as long as he’s living with me – he doesn’t really have to.
I want to reclaim my home and my life, and get him out. I’m angry that I am expected to be a wife, when I don’ t have a husband.
I do feel guilty, since at least part of his problem is from a brain injury. But I don’t know how much longer I can deal with this.
I’m an Episcopalian. I’ve tried talking to my priest, but he doesn’t want to frame anything in terms of right or wrong. The closest he’ll get is psychologically healthy or unhealthy.
My husband has not held a full-time job for over 6 years. He currently has a part-time job – about 12 hours a week at minimum wage. He stays at home with the 4 year old, but she ends up sitting in front of the TV most of the day. The house is a wreck. I work full-time and can’t keep up with the housework on my own. I’ve reached a point where I really need to get out of this situation. He can’t help support our family, he can’t/won’t help around the house. We don’t talk, we don’t share a bedroom. I feel like I have an overgrown teenager living with me. Only, he’s never going to grow up and move out.
He has epilepsy, and it seems that he has some brain damage from seizures. He’s had neuropsych evals done that show his cognitive processing is impaired. His processing speed is in the 4th percentile. They also tell us that he has executive dysfunction – which means that he has trouble prioritizing tasks. All this makes it difficult for him to communicate, since he can’t organize his thoughts very well. He has a master’s degree in Chemistry, and has experience working with fancy analytical machines, but he can’t get past the interview process.
I feel like he could take care of himself if he had to. The problem is, as long as he’s living with me – he doesn’t really have to.
I want to reclaim my home and my life, and get him out. I’m angry that I am expected to be a wife, when I don’ t have a husband.
I do feel guilty, since at least part of his problem is from a brain injury. But I don’t know how much longer I can deal with this.
I’m an Episcopalian. I’ve tried talking to my priest, but he doesn’t want to frame anything in terms of right or wrong. The closest he’ll get is psychologically healthy or unhealthy.