Need help finding a quote

  • Thread starter Thread starter ohsnapitslennon
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

ohsnapitslennon

Guest
Hi! I’m talking to someone about the Bible and they admitted they cherry pick. It reminded me of a quote I once saw.

It goes something like:

“If you reject certain parts of the Bible and accept othersyou are not a Christian, you created a religion of your subconscious”

Or some thing like that. Can you help me find out the author/the full quote?

Any quotes about cherrypicking the Bible would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Lennon
 
Sounds a lot like St. Augustine:

“if you believe what you like of the Gospel, and reject what you don’t like, it’s not the Gospel you believe, but yourself.”

I can’t remember which particular work he wrote that in. But I know for a fact it was him.
 
sounds a lot like st. Augustine:

“if you believe what you like of the gospel, and reject what you don’t like, it’s not the gospel you believe, but yourself.”

i can’t remember which particular work he wrote that in. But i know for a fact it was him.
bingoooo thank you sooooo much!!! :):d:):d:):d:)
 
Sounds a lot like St. Augustine:

“if you believe what you like of the Gospel, and reject what you don’t like, it’s not the Gospel you believe, but yourself.”

I can’t remember which particular work he wrote that in. But I know for a fact it was him.
Don’t feel bad. The reason most people can’t find the source of that quote, is because what’s generally quoted is a paraphrase.

the actual quote (properly referenced)

“Tell us straight out that you do not believe in the Gospel of Christ; for you believe what you want in the Gospel and disbelieve what you want. You believe in yourself rather than in the Gospel.” Against Faustus, Book 17, 3, .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top