M
Mrs_Sally
Guest
I am praying for you OP. It can be very hard to live with someone like that. I have family members who were hoarders and they ended up living a very sad life. I pray that your wife gets the help she needs.
Joe, **it’s your real estate **and you need to do something about it. Your kids are just that, kids/children and if they are not taught they will follow in the adults path of being one big mess.However their rooms are a nightmare of messiness because kids their age can’t possibly be expected to organize so much stuff in the space they have.
Any mold infested glasses or items are a danger to ones health and the air you breathe. Mold spores are in your air space and this is going into you lungs & her lungs & your kids lungs. Not a good thing.She has a few old soda glasses laying around near her side of the bed with mold from sitting there so long but that’s about it.
Keep the lines of communication open. Use a neutral, non-judgemental tone.
Honor the dignity of the person living in squalor. It has taken enough of a beating already.
Offer to help, not to take charge.
Hi there Joes12345.
Your house is a **BIG fire trap **and God forbid if something may be a defect in your electrical system, the house will go up in flames a lot quicker than you can ever imagine.
I keep an eye out for hazards. Once I found papers on the floor pushed up against the water heater near where the pilot light is. I went balistic and said some very un-christian things. Sadly, I wouldn’t be surprised if a demon or two were applauding me for that one. Now she keeps the piles on the floor away from the water heater. That’s as good as it gets here.
Joe, it’s your real estate and you need to do something about it. Your kids are just that, kids/children and if they are not taught they will follow in the adults path of being one big mess.
**I know, I know, but what? I can’t even mention the subject of cleaning without a major argument breaking out. Sometimes I’ll suck it up and argue, but to what end? She’ll say; “OK let’s clean tomorrow.” But then tomorrow comes and she finds some nonsense reason not to do it, or tell me she’s going out for an hour and then not come home until early evening. What can I do? Block the door to prevent her leaving? **
Joe, start with one room at a time. Get a big garbage bag and attack the paper mess first.
Have a laundry basket(s) ready and put clothes in them, … yes… yes… the wife doesn’t agree with you, but regardless, it must be done.
You say the kids are clean, etc… but how do they know what is a clean shirt or pants to wear if their clothes are not put away in drawers. How do they know the dirty clothes from the clean clothes. And since your wife is not using laundry baskets, how does she know what’s clean for the kids.
**You’d be amazed how well differentiated the piles of stuff are here. It’s nuts. She’ll wash clothes the kids need for the next day and put them on the dining room table or the bed.
We do have laundry baskets. We must have over 30 in the house. When people come over she stuffs them with clutter and shoves them into the closets and attic, never to be seen again. Our attic is the worst nightmare ever. But then they’re not around when I need them for routine laundry. When I do laundry I find one that’s buried and dump it out and use it. What I was referring to and should have explained better was we fought about setting up locations for laundry baskets so the kids and us can organize/ spearate the clothing in preparation for washing-like normal people.**
The kids rooms need to be cleaned up. If they have too much stuff and no where to put it, well then get rid of it.
Amen buddy. But it’s like talking to a wall. I can only do so much without cooperation. She’s been outside in the garbage a few times looking for nonsense stuff that I threw away. Now I make sure I throw things out the morning the garbage men come so she has no opportunity to go bring it back in. She’ll yell at me for throwing some old toy out like it was a family heirlom.
What about the kids bedding? Are their sheets/blankets washed once a week?
Think about bed bugs, think about all of the billion of mites in your house, think about the mold spores and fungus … Joe… just because you can’t see these microscopic things doesn’t mean they don’t exist. None of this is good for any of you.
**OK, you got me on that. Our bedsheets need cleaning much more often. But the kids always wear clean clothes and are well bathed. **
I wish you well and take charge of your property & real estate & set rules that all must abide to, even the little ones.
**How do I enforce those rules when she’s stubborn as a mule? My latest idea is telling her I refuse to clean for company unless she cleans and gets organized. She absolutely refuses to change. Thank you for the well wishes. I truly appreciate it. **
Yes, this is almost definitely OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and needs the treatment of a Psychiatrist and a Therapist both. Try to find one that specializes in OCD.There’s documentaries on TV about this, your wife likely has OCD and can’t help herself.
You can’t argue her out of having a mental illness, she needs professional help to stop hoarding.
Wow, next to cleaning finances are the biggest problem in our lives. I won’t even get into the arguments we have over credit card bills and lack of financial planning. Thank you for the web site link..
Physical squalor or “hoarding” is usually partnered by financial squalor where people are overwhelmed by finances and ignore financial issues. If you don’t already know about all your wife’s financial decisions make sure that there are no more “surprises” in store. Maybe a credit report would be a good idea.
This looks like it could be the turning point for your marriage and may God bless you as you look for help and resolution. Please keep us posted on this situation.
Hi, Joe! Welcome to CAF & bless you for your concern & trying to calm down & control your anger. Please don’t be ashamed that you asked for help when others are in truly dire circumstances… It’s natural to feel that way, but it’s like not asking for treatment for a broken leg because someone else suffered from an amputation. Your broken leg still needs attention! Many people in this situation would not pray about it & seek help here, so good for you.When I read of the serious emotional and physical pain so many others on this forum have experienced I am still ashamed I asked for help. But I’m glad I got to vent and received your prayers. It has truly helped me and I still believe and await help from our Lord and saviour.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU



God bless you all.If there is ever a fire in your house, you will never be able to safely rescue your kids because all of the paper and clothes you have all over the place will be the obstacle because they will be on flames.
Me too!!! Well I love a cup of tea while reading before bed (or surfing on here) and when I get up in the morning the only thing on my mind is getting ready for work not transporting dishware. Sometimes I drag coffee into the bedroom on a Saturday morning too… but the cup never makes its way back to the kitchen. At first my husband hated it - he just couldn’t comprehend me not walking back to the kitchen with the cup. BUT then adopted the bad habit too!!! I did this in college and my room mate thought it was the craziest habit every. Anyways, I am quite messy about certain things. I struggle with a certain type of laziness where I am ambitious about the “big picture” in life but let little things fall by the wayside (i.e I am reading something and it is life changing, my mind is zipping around, who can stop to put a cup in the sink?). Hard to explain. I am also very neat and organized about my appearance so when I mention to people that I am sloppy at home they refuse to believe it. Thinking about it, this may speak something about my personality, maybe my priority is outside appearance that others will see and not the interior home life. Food for thought (but hopefully not the hoarded, moldy type).*Wait a minute…I leave glasses sitting on our nightstand…and some have had mold growing in them. My dh used to take them downstairs, and then he stopped…and just shakes his head. I didn’t think it was that big of a deal, but reading your words here joe, maybe it is.
Then again, no one is perfect. lol
That is weird though, that your wife does that, and so do I.*