Need Scripture Verses to back up not by faith alone

  • Thread starter Thread starter marci
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marci

Guest
I have a protestant friend who is constantly telling me that works do not save and that catholics rely on works for salvation. I need Bible verses that “prove” that one will be judged according to their works. I know I have read many on the forums but I would like to print them out so I can back up my assersions when I speak about this point with her.
So if any of you out there are so inclinded I would appriciate your imput and advise.

Thanks, Marci

P.S. Is the Douay-Rheims considered a good translation. I read something a while back that it may not be. This is the Bible I use for myself, I also use The New American with my kids, because the language is easier. What do you think?
 
Tell your friend to prayerfully and open-mindedly to read the book of James.

And also tell your friend that Catholics don’t believe in “works salvation” either. We believe both faith and good works are the evidence of the grace of God working in our lives. Both are important since no one who does not live out his faith will be saved. It’s both/and, not either/or.
 
I have a protestant friend who is constantly telling me that works do not save and that catholics rely on works for salvation. I need Bible verses that “prove” that one will be judged according to their works. I know I have read many on the forums but I would like to print them out so I can back up my assersions when I speak about this point with her.
So if any of you out there are so inclinded I would appriciate your imput and advise.

Thanks, Marci

P.S. Is the Douay-Rheims considered a good translation. I read something a while back that it may not be. This is the Bible I use for myself, I also use The New American with my kids, because the language is easier. What do you think?
I don’t think the translation matters much for your question. I like the Jerusalem Bible, but that is just taste.

Why don’t you start with James 2:14-26 and go from there.
 
I have a protestant friend who is constantly telling me that works do not save and that catholics rely on works for salvation. I need Bible verses that “prove” that one will be judged according to their works. I know I have read many on the forums but I would like to print them out so I can back up my assersions when I speak about this point with her.
So if any of you out there are so inclinded I would appriciate your imput and advise.

Thanks, Marci

P.S. Is the Douay-Rheims considered a good translation. I read something a while back that it may not be. This is the Bible I use for myself, I also use The New American with my kids, because the language is easier. What do you think?
this article contains scriptural references pertaining to works and salvation:
catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9402vbv.asp

As a former evangelical, I can tell you to be prepared to have any verses that mention works as part of salvation being explained away by saying that works are the automatic result of “saving faith,” so the verses don’t “prove” the need for works for salvation. It can be very hard to get Protestants to “see” the plain meaning of a text because they’ve been conditioned to read into particular verses their own meaning and understanding. I personally experienced this when a Church of Christ friend of mine tried to show me the necessity of water baptism for salvation (which I, as a Presbyterian, didn’t believe in). She showed me verse after verse that was plain as day, but I could only see them through the Presbyterian “lens” and wasn’t convinced. Don’t get frustrated --just pray for your friend that God will open her eyes (He did for me, eventually:) )

I’ve heard the Douay-Rheims is a good translation, and I’ve heard the RSV (NOT the NRSV) is very good as well.

God bless!
 
I don’t think the translation matters much for your question. I like the Jerusalem Bible, but that is just taste.

Why don’t you start with James 2:14-26 and go from there.
Here it is right here:
14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day,
16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well,” but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it?
17 So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 Indeed someone might say, “You have faith and I have works.” Demonstrate your faith to me without works, and I will demonstrate my faith to you from my works.
19 You believe that God is one. You do well. Even the demons believe that and tremble.
20 Do you want proof, you ignoramus, that faith without works is useless?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar?
22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by the works.
23 Thus the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called “the friend of God.”
24 See how a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.
25 And in the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she welcomed the messengers and sent them out by a different route?
26 For just as a body without a spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.
How much more Catholic can you get?😉
 
Tell your friend to prayerfully and open-mindedly to read the book of James.

And also tell your friend that Catholics don’t believe in “works salvation” either. We believe both faith and good works are the evidence of the grace of God working in our lives. Both are important since no one who does not live out his faith will be saved. It’s both/and, not either/or.
Thanks for your reply. I have told her that catholics don’t believe in works alone, and that that’s why the sacraments are so important because they give one the grace to live a life that is obediant and pleasing to God. However, like a good Bible Christian she wants to see proof in the Bible. I have tried not to rely to heavily on scripture to talk to her about this, but I am not doing to well on the reasoning side. I will recommend your suggestion about James. She believes the “once saved, always saved” thing as well, which is very difficult for me to understand. But, I will keep trying and praying. She is always the one to bring up religious topics and I try to be as loving and kind as I can, although at times it can be hard because she is somewhat anti-catholic and has said things that have been hurtful. However, I do think that maybe there is something inside her that yearns for answers, for it is always she that initiates the conversations.
 
Thanks to all for your replies. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Pray for me, that the Holy Spirit will guide me in my discussions with her about The Faith.
 
I have a protestant friend who is constantly telling me that works do not save and that catholics rely on works for salvation. I need Bible verses that “prove” that one will be judged according to their works.
Thanks, Marci

P.S. Is the Douay-Rheims considered a good translation. I read something a while back that it may not be. This is the Bible I use for myself, I also use The New American with my kids, because the language is easier. What do you think?
Hi Marci,

I know I’m late with this, but I hope you can also use these verse to prove that our works are judged, not our faith. Our faith allows us to get to the point of having our works judged. Also, I’ve never had a Protestant able to explain these verses to me when they get into the age old Purgatory debate.:
From the Douay-Rheims: 1Co 3:13 Every man’s work shall be manifest. For the day of the Lord shall declare it, because it shall be revealed in fire. And the fire shall try every man’s work, of what sort it is. 14 If any man’s work abide, which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15 If any mans work burn, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire.
With love,
George
 
I have a protestant friend who is constantly telling me that works do not save and that catholics rely on works for salvation. I need Bible verses that “prove” that one will be judged according to their works. I know I have read many on the forums but I would like to print them out so I can back up my assersions when I speak about this point with her.
So if any of you out there are so inclinded I would appriciate your imput and advise.

Thanks, Marci

P.S. Is the Douay-Rheims considered a good translation. I read something a while back that it may not be. This is the Bible I use for myself, I also use The New American with my kids, because the language is easier. What do you think?
scripturecatholic.com/justification.html
 
I have a protestant friend who is constantly telling me that works do not save and that catholics rely on works for salvation. I need Bible verses that “prove” that one will be judged according to their works. I know I have read many on the forums but I would like to print them out so I can back up my assersions when I speak about this point with her.
So if any of you out there are so inclinded I would appriciate your imput and advise.

Thanks, Marci

P.S. Is the Douay-Rheims considered a good translation. I read something a while back that it may not be. This is the Bible I use for myself, I also use The New American with my kids, because the language is easier. What do you think?
Read my tag line…and i gaurantee that you will find plent of gospel to back it up 😉 …

peace of the Lord be with you
 
What The Bible Says You Must Do To Be Saved
1. Ask for God’s help:
Rom. 10:13 “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
2. Believe in Jesus: Acts 16:30-31 “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” [Paul & Silas] replied, “Believe in Lord Jesus, and you will be saved.”
3. Confess Jesus as your Lord: Rom. 10:9 If you confess with mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
4. Repent of your sins: 2 Cor 7:10 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation.
5. Be baptized: Acts 2:38 Repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ that your sins may be forgiven. Mk. 16:16 (Jesus said) Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved.
6. Love God & love neighbor: Luke 10:25-28 An expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” “What is written in the law?” Jesus asked, “How do you read it?” He answered: “’Love the Lord your God with all your heart’; and ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied, “Do this and you will live.”
**7. Keep the Ten Commandments: *Mt. 19:17 [Jesus said], “If you want to enter life, obey the commandments.”
8. Receive Holy Communion: John 6:51-58 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.” Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever.”
9. Pursue holiness: Heb. 12:14 Make every effort to…be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. James 1:21 Get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent, and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you. Rom. 6:22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.
10. Do God’s will: p Matt. 7:21 [Jesus said], “Not everyone who says to me ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father which is in heaven.” 1 John 2:17 The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever. Matt. 12:50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.
11. Obey Christ: Heb. 5:9 [Jesus is] the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him. Acts 3:23 Anyone who does not listen to him will be complete cut off.
12. Do good works: Rom. 2:6-7 [On the day of judgment] God will give to each person according to what he has done. To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. James 2:14 What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?…Faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action is dead…You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone. (also, Matt. 25:31-46)
13. Share in Christ’s suffering: Rom. 8:17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
14. Die in a state of grace: Heb. 6:4-6 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away,
to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again ad subjecting him to public disgrace. Note: To fall away, in the Greek language of the New Testament, expresses the idea of irrevocably turning one’s back on the gospel.
 
I have a protestant friend who is constantly telling me that works do not save and that catholics rely on works for salvation. I need Bible verses that “prove” that one will be judged according to their works. I know I have read many on the forums but I would like to print them out so I can back up my assertions when I speak about this point with her.
So if any of you out there are so inclined I would appreciate your (name removed by moderator)ut and advise.

Bible I use for myself, I also use The New American with my kids, because the language is easier. What do you think?
I wouldn’t worry too much about saving her soul as she is that concerned about yours and wrong ignore her. It is not your job to make people believe the Faith of the Church it is the Holy Spirits. But if you want to try and help her that is cool. But remember, she defined the debate saying that Catholics believe we are saved by works alone.

That is not the the Catholic faith, we are saved by grace through faith and faith without works is dead. So to be saved by faith, one must do works. James Chapter 2:

*15 If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day,
16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well,” but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it?
17 So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 Indeed someone might say, “You have faith and I have works.” Demonstrate your faith to me without works, and I will demonstrate my faith to you from my works.
19 You believe that God is one. You do well. Even the demons believe that and tremble.
20 Do you want proof, you ignoramus, that faith without works is useless?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar?
22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by the works.
23 Thus the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called “the friend of God.”
24 See how a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.
25 And in the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she welcomed the messengers and sent them out by a different route?
26 For just as a body without a spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead *
 
I would also suggest Acts 26:20 where Paul tells King Agrippa:
On the contrary, first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem and throughout the whole country of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached the need to repent and turn to God, and to do works giving evidence of repentance.
 
I have a protestant friend who is constantly telling me that works do not save and that catholics rely on works for salvation. I need Bible verses that “prove” that one will be judged according to their works. I know I have read many on the forums but I would like to print them out so I can back up my assersions when I speak about this point with her.
So if any of you out there are so inclinded I would appriciate your imput and advise.

Thanks, Marci

P.S. Is the Douay-Rheims considered a good translation. I read something a while back that it may not be. This is the Bible I use for myself, I also use The New American with my kids, because the language is easier. What do you think?
Go to John Martignoni’s web site, www.biblechristiansociety.com and find his talk and a debate on this subject. Outstanding!
 
They need verses on sola scripture. Not by scripture alone but tradition too, as the RCC teaches. Ask them where in the Bible does it say by scripture alone. And it is a double edged sword for them. If they only believe what is in scripture, then where in scripture does it say by scripture alone.

Then ask where Jesus told anyone to write anything down and put together a bible. He said to preach the Gospel. The Holy spirit though the Church validated the scripture and put it together, now the reformers claim that we are wrong by scripture as they claim it for themselves.
 
Hello marci,

Please visit
Jesus, What Must I Do To Share In Everlasting Life?
NAB JOH 5:27

“The Father has given over to him power to pass judgment because he is Son of Man; no need for you to be surprised at this, for an hour is coming in which all those in their tombs shall hear his voice and come forth. Those who have done right shall rise to live; the evildoers shall rise to be damned.” NAB LUK 10:25

On one occasion a lawyer stood up to pose him this problem: “Teacher, what must I do to inherit everlasting life?” Jesus answered him: "What is written in the law? How do you read it?" He replied:
"You shall love the Lord your God
with all your heart,
with all your soul,
with all your strength,
and with all your mind;
and your neighbor as yourself."
Jesus said,
“You have answered correctly. Do this and you shall live.” NAB LUK 18:18

"Good teacher, **what must I do to share in everlasting life? **"Jesus said to him, “Why call me ‘good’? None is good but God alone. You know the commandments:
‘You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not kill.
You shall not steal.
You shall not bear dishonest witness.
Honor your father and your mother.’”

NAB ROM 2:4
Do you not know that God’s kindness is an invitation to you to repent? In spite of this, your hard and impenitent heart is storing up retribution for that day of wrath when the just judgment of God will be revealed, when he will repay every man for what he has done: eternal life to those who strive for glory, honor, and immortality by patiently doing right; wrath and fury to those who selfishly disobey the truth and obey wickedness. Yes, affliction and anguish will come upon every man who has done evil, the Jew first, then the Greek. But there will be glory, honor and peace for everyone who has done good, likewise the Jew first, then the Greek. With God there is no favoritism.
NAB REV 22:12
“Remember, I am coming soon! I bring with me the reward that will be given to each man as his conduct deserves. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End! **Happy are they who wash their robes so as to have free access to the tree of life **and enter the city through its gates Outside are the dogs and sorcerers, the fornicators and murderers, the idol-worshipers and all who love falsehood.” NAB MAT 25:31

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the king will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’ Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’ And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’ Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.’ Then they will answer and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?’ He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’ And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top