Need Some Help: Lent

• Thread starter Thread starter S_V7
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

S_V7

Okay well, since I have a horrible habit of complaining, I thought I’d give that up for Lent. Needlesss to say, it was alot harder than I thought and found myself slipping when I tried it. So my question is, would it be sinful to habitually complain during Lent while being unaware? I don’t think it would, but that’s just my opinion. Deliberatly would be a different situation though… I’ve also decided to work on temperance with food, any ideas on how to go about this? Would it be okay, say, to eat a ‘lavish’ dinner as a guest somewhere?

Thanks and God bless:thumbsup:

Lenten penances are NOT binding on pain either of sin or mortal sin. And if you have troubles it’s a good sign that you’ve picked a penance that will really help you.

Just get up again each time you slip back into your old habits, say a prayer of Contrition and resolve to, at least for this day, complain no more! Concentrate on each day as it comes.

I think if you are someone’s guest, you have to take care not to offend your host. Since there is nothing inherently sinful about eating an occasional feast, there is nothing wrong with suspending your abstention for the one occasion. (Of course, if one has a regularly packed social calendar, one might want to consider another way to do penance!)

I find that the best way to succeed at sacrificing is by praying many times a day for special graces to get me through the hard spots. I also make frequent visits to our image of the Blessed Virgin, since it is through her that the Lord chooses to dispense His graces. And don’t neglect to spend time in Eucharistic Adoration if you can!

Blessings to you!

~mary

I’ve also decided to work on temperance with food, any ideas on how to go about this? Would it be okay, say, to eat a ‘lavish’ dinner as a guest somewhere?
There are plenty of ways to practice a spirit of sacrifice about your food without drawing any attention to yourself, even at a “lavish” meal. Eat more of the food you prefer less, and less of your favorites. Leave off the salt, butter, dressing or other condiment. Don’t take seconds.

In your ordinary life (not as someone’s guest, but simply every day), don’t snack between meals. When a platter is passed at a meal, take the smallest/least attractive serving for yourself. I believe it was St. Therese, the Little Flower, who was convinced that her mother just loved the heads of the fish she served for dinner. 😛 Skip dessert.

But above all, remember that these things are done voluntarily, for the love of God, and not under pain of sin. If you fail, just get up and try again without fretting about it. It is not a sin to fail at your lenten resolutions.

Betsy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back