Need some help

  • Thread starter Thread starter kardon777
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kardon777

Guest
Hi, I’m new here and and need help trying to figure something out.

I know Ignatius used the word ‘catholic’ as meaning universal. What I don’t understand is that other similar words like ‘cathedra’ (chair) for example means something totally different and seems to have no connection to the meaning of catholic. I feel there has to be some connection by the root cath.

Thanks for any help and I hope I didn’t confuse you all. lol
 
Well, “catholic” comes from Greek, while “cathedra” comes from Latin…
 
Well, “catholic” comes from Greek, while “cathedra” comes from Latin…
Yep. Catholic in the Bible (YES it IS in the Bible) is actually two words: Kata and holay (pardon what are probably incorrect phonetics) that together change to *katholay *that simply mean “the whole” as in the “the whole church.”
 
Thanks, scottgun, I knew about that too, but what I still don’t understand is, is there any connection to ‘chair’ (cath-edra) in Ignatius’ use of the “cath” part in the word “catholic” ?

Sorry I’m not explaining myself very well.
 
Hi Kardon,

Both “catholic” and “cathedra” are of Greek origin.

The “Kath” part comes is the Greek preposition “Kata”, which has several meanings, depending partly on what case (nominative, genitive etc.) it is used with.

Catholikos comes from the adverb *Katholou *(viewed as a whole, universally) and means universal.

*Cathedra *comes from the verb kathezomai, to sit down. and means “seat”. Ex cathedra means “from the seat” (of authority).

Verbum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top