S
StickOfRock
Guest
Hi, I’m new to the forums. I did send this to the “ask an Apologist” but my post is either too stupidly long and complicated to answer for someone else, or they haven’t got to it yet. I’ll try to keep this as short as I can… I was Christened as a baby but besides the commercialized holidays I had no religious influence growing up. I never had a sense of “faith”. A couple of years ago I was friends with an atheist. He made a good logical argument against religion (usually during angry rants) and convinced me that there is no God, religion is false and written/made by man and that life only has the purpose that we give it. My mind accepted it because there was no way around his arguments but it made me a very angry person. After a couple weeks I started to no longer fully believe/accept atheism and went back to feeling lost. I have also practiced Wicca but it wasn’t enough for me. I have struggled with depression and frustration about life for a long time. The atheism exacerbated my bad feelings - sadness, hopelessness, feeling lost in life. I have struggled with deep depression for close to four years. Over a year ago I met a new coworker who has a strong Christian faith. I still struggle with the concept of having faith. How do you believe and trust something when you can’t know? I want to believe. If the Bible is the truth then it would be great and I feel that it would help me to recover my happiness. I have been looking into Christianity recently and though I was supposed to be Anglican I was persuaded and now believe Catholicism is the true original form from the Bible. The days that I have been looking into this has made me happier and when I feel I have belief and this (the Bible) could be true it makes things brighter. It’s like my soul feels more healed than it ever has been. The problem I have is my doubt comes back, telling me that life is hopeless, meaningless, I am a waste of space, it is all bad. Telling me that this good thing can’t be true, people are just gullible. I have watched videos and documentaries that say that the Bible was only written by men as a way to control people and that Jesus was not the son of God, that they altered the texts to make it that way to make their religion the important one when others were emerging and disintegrating at that time. If they altered the words or made them up it wouldn’t be true and I don’t want to fall for a lie, how would I know what is true? I think they said they picked and chose texts and left others out that have been found, why? That men got together around 5AD to
“make” the Bible as they wanted it. How do I know if the Bible is true? I want for it to be true so badly, it’s upsetting. I want to believe but can’t force myself wholly to devote myself to something that I don’t know to trust and have usually been told is a lie. This is all about wanting to know the truth about existence and I’m skeptical because of all I heard prior. If it’s true I want to save my soul and change my life. Please help me to believe and have faith. If the bible and Catholicism is true please convince me. I feel awful and lost
sorry for such a long post.
“make” the Bible as they wanted it. How do I know if the Bible is true? I want for it to be true so badly, it’s upsetting. I want to believe but can’t force myself wholly to devote myself to something that I don’t know to trust and have usually been told is a lie. This is all about wanting to know the truth about existence and I’m skeptical because of all I heard prior. If it’s true I want to save my soul and change my life. Please help me to believe and have faith. If the bible and Catholicism is true please convince me. I feel awful and lost
**