Neo-Pagan Apologetics

  • Thread starter Thread starter IanCorrigan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
šŸ™‚ Your questions about are all the other religions etc believe the same one God is who we all believe in Our God the Father?these are also on other threads too like Do the Islams believe in the same God? etc If you just put in a word or two you can get to threads that relate to others. desert
 
šŸ™‚ Your questions about are all the other religions etc believe the same one God is who we all believe in Our God the Father?these are also on other threads too like Do the Islams believe in the same God? etc If you just put in a word or two you can get to threads that relate to others. desert
Thanks, I am afraid I am spending too much time on the two threads I am on on this forum already šŸ™‚ no time to get to many other threads as interesting as they may be. You are correct–this was a tangent for this thread. Just something that popped to mind in response to latin rite’s questions. I will let the followers of those other religions speak for themselves.
 
God teaches us forgiveness. By the way is this one of your virtues?

Please clarify how you acknowledge a persons sin against you and then how you proceed the forgiveness process. thanks
Do you feel you ever sin or sin against your many gods or the one you"pray "to ?
This seems like a multi-part question. First, the issue of ā€œsinsā€ against other humans. I think that ā€œoffensesā€ is a more accurate representation of the way I view this. I certainly consider it part of wisdom, perspective and moderation to forgive offenses against me rather than hold a grudge that only posions me.

Do I believe I ā€œsinā€ in this manner, ie do I ever do things which may cause offense to another person, either through omission or commission? Certainly. For those, I need to deal directly with the offended person, as it is a matter of personal responsibility. It is not something I would pray about (other than possibly for an increase in wisdom to avoid such a thing in the future).

Second, sins against the gods. I was taught in the Christian church that the definition of sin was ā€œany want of conformity to or transgression of the law of God.ā€ Well, that rather depends on the specific god to which one is referring. As a polytheist, I believe that which causes offense to one may not be identical to that which causes offense to another. What any particular god desires from his/her followers also varies from what is desired by another. Again, I think the term ā€œoffenseā€ is a more accurate description.

If you are speaking of ā€œoriginal sinā€ that is a doctrine that neither I nor any other Neopagan I know holds to be true.

Someone else raised the question of whether humility was a virtue. Humility certainly has its place and hopefully we will have the wisdom to know that, but no, I do not know of an Hellenic teaching that humility simply for its own sake is highly valued. Certainly we are to avoid hubris (an overwhelming arrogance that sets us up as equal to or superior to the gods), but that doesn’t mean we are to then be meek and humble at all times.

In the end, it falls to personal responsibility and honor.
 
Can a moderator tell me why this thread was moved? It certainly seems to have killed much of the discussion… and particularly in light of what Joe Monaghan said yesterday morning, I’m a little puzzled :

ā€œThis thread is here, rather than in the Non-Catholic Religions forum, because Ian posted originally in response to an article in "This Rockā€. "

Thanks!
 
Can a moderator tell me why this thread was moved, particularly with no notice? It certainly seems to have killed much of the discussion… and especially in light of what Joe Monaghan said yesterday morning, I’m a little puzzled :

ā€œThis thread is here, rather than in the Non-Catholic Religions forum, because Ian posted originally in response to an article in "This Rockā€. "

Thanks!
 
šŸ™‚ In the start of this thread I talked about a girl in wicca at work and now she has gotten fired , not because of wicca but because she called into work a lot and was on the fireing list. But it may have been the best for her she said she wa going to admit herself for help to the hospital and I asked her if she was suicidal and she said no but she has a lot of trouble with depression.😦 I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers and her real name is rebecca, I gave her a word among us and I may never see her again but I will not forget her as she seemed so 😦 also she taught me not to be afraid to speak on this thread.

I pray that Jesus will send a priest advisary to her to the hospital and show her love and forgiveness and I am not trying to be mean to the wicca. I wanted to get this on this thread before it gets closed as that is what seems to happen to them around here. And Jesus says we only have a certain amount of time. Dessert
 
šŸ™‚ In the start of this thread I talked about a girl in wicca at work and now she has gotten fired
It is good that she is seeking the help that she needs. I am glad that you are able to distinguish between her emotional problems and her religion (ie that one is not necessarily the cause of the other). It’s much like folks who would blame Christianity for the priests and ministers who have been involved in sex scandals, financial misdeeds, etc and say that if they weren’t Christians, they wouldn’t have these problems. Every religion is made up of people, and some of those people are going to have emotional problems, or other issues. A sad but true statistical fact.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top