nephilim

  • Thread starter Thread starter The_Cardinal
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The_Cardinal

Guest
I have been asked questions about what I would conisider Christian myth, but does anyone know info on the Nephilim? Anything would be helpful, are they real, are the texts supposed to be taken literally, if they are not how does this differ from Angels.
 
There have been 100 gazillion (or so) threads on this. Type “Nephilim” into the ‘Search’ feature and you’ll get more lengthy threads on this topic than you could possibly ever read in one lifetime.🙂
 
I have been asked questions about what I would conisider Christian myth, but does anyone know info on the Nephilim? Anything would be helpful, are they real, are the texts supposed to be taken literally, if they are not how does this differ from Angels.
mythological.

not the same as angels.
 
They are “Mighty Men.” Probably powerful tribal leaders or warriors or both. If we give them a half blood status. We might as well embrace Greek mythology as truth.👍
 
Nephilim are beings who appear in the Hebrew Bible; specifically mentioned in the Book of Genesis and the Book of Numbers; they are also mentioned in other Biblical texts and in some non-canonical Jewish writings.
 
All Scripture is inspired, not myth.

According to the majority of the Fathers on this topic the Nephilim are the sons of God that is of the lineage of Seth, and the daughters of men are from the line of Cain. The bible lineage gives more concern with the line of Seth, telling their ages, whereas Cain’s ages are omitted. Sons of God in the bible can refer to either angels or righteous men, in this case its the latter.
 
I have been asked questions about what I would conisider Christian myth, but does anyone know info on the Nephilim? Anything would be helpful, are they real, are the texts supposed to be taken literally, if they are not how does this differ from Angels.
From what theories that can be gathered about who they were, they were a race of very tall human beings. There has been some archeological evidence that they originated from Africa and migrated northward and lived in the territories described. They were the ancestors of who we know as the African tribes of the Maasai, Turkana, Samburu and Dinka. They all originated in the Upper Nile area of the Sudan and are quite tall physically, both the men and the women, with an average height of 6 ft or taller.

Knowing that people migrated northward out of Africa, this is a real possibility. The Upper Nile reaches into the Sudan area (Sudan is directly south of Egypt), and there is no reason to doubt that this is what some of those tribes did at one time. And intermingling with the peoples who were also living there seems quite probable. It makes more sense than the whacko theory that they were either spiritual beings (who, by the way, are immaterial and cannot ‘mate’ with human beings) or aliens from another world!
 
All Scripture is inspired, not myth.

According to the majority of the Fathers on this topic the Nephilim are the sons of God that is of the lineage of Seth, and the daughters of men are from the line of Cain. The bible lineage gives more concern with the line of Seth, telling their ages, whereas Cain’s ages are omitted. Sons of God in the bible can refer to either angels or righteous men, in this case its the latter.
Myth as a literary genre is widely recognized as being one of many genres in Scripture (which is of course inspired).
 
mythological.

not the same as angels.
Let’s see if I understand this…

The Bible says there are nephilim but that’s false. They’re mythological.

The Bible says there are angels and that’s true. They exist.

Hmmm. Do you see my problem here? I have a choice. Who do I believe: you or the Bible? Bible wins. Nephelim exist. The Bible is not in error, you are.
 
Let’s see if I understand this…

The Bible says there are nephilim but that’s false. They’re mythological.

The Bible says there are angels and that’s true. They exist.

Hmmm. Do you see my problem here? I have a choice. Who do I believe: you or the Bible? Bible wins. Nephelim exist. The Bible is not in error, you are.
You just don’t “get it”, do you? 🤷
 
Let’s see if I understand this…

The Bible says there are nephilim but that’s false. They’re mythological.

The Bible says there are angels and that’s true. They exist.

Hmmm. Do you see my problem here? I have a choice. Who do I believe: you or the Bible? Bible wins. Nephelim exist. The Bible is not in error, you are.
I’m with you:thumbsup:

And yes, “we do get it…”
 
Anybody ever hear of **Ockham’s Razor **- “entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem”; in other words, “entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity” and the conclusion thereof, that the simplest explanation or strategy tends to be the best one.
What I posted is the simplest and probably the most accurate explanation of what is called the Nephilim:

**From what theories that can be gathered about who they were, they were a race of very tall human beings. There has been some archeological evidence that they originated from Africa and migrated northward and lived in the territories described. They were the ancestors of who we know as the African tribes of the Maasai, Turkana, Samburu and Dinka. They all originated in the Upper Nile area of the Sudan and are quite tall physically, both the men and the women, with an average height of 6 ft or taller.

Knowing that people migrated northward out of Africa, this is a real possibility. The Upper Nile reaches into the Sudan area (Sudan is directly south of Egypt), and there is no reason to doubt that this is what some of those tribes did at one time. And intermingling with the peoples who were also living there seems quite probable. It makes more sense than the whacko theory that they were either spiritual beings (who, by the way, are immaterial and cannot ‘mate’ with human beings) or aliens from another world! **

I’m betting on the above. It makes the most sense.
 
Let’s see if I understand this…

The Bible says there are nephilim but that’s false. They’re mythological.

The Bible says there are angels and that’s true. They exist.

Hmmm. Do you see my problem here? I have a choice. Who do I believe: you or the Bible? Bible wins. Nephelim exist. The Bible is not in error, you are.
I never said anything in the Bible was false. I have no problem with that. Sorry you don’t understand this. I believe Christ and what the Church teaches.

I’m just not into who wins and loses, sorry.
 
All Scripture is inspired, not myth.

According to the majority of the Fathers on this topic the Nephilim are the sons of God that is of the lineage of Seth, and the daughters of men are from the line of Cain. The bible lineage gives more concern with the line of Seth, telling their ages, whereas Cain’s ages are omitted. Sons of God in the bible can refer to either angels or righteous men, in this case its the latter.
I agree.

Here is the reference to **Adam as Son of God **in the New Testament. It is in reference to the genealogy of Christ.

Luke 3:38
the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God. So, Seth’s progeny are called the sons of God.

Isn’t it amazing that all these sons of God (Seth’s progeny) fell away from God until only Noah was left?
 
From what i understand. Nephelim are the hybrid. The product of “sons of God”(fallen angels) and “daughters of men”(women on earth). So they are a breed of fallen angels and earth women which bred these giants…abominations which is why Noah wanted to wipe them out. I believe Goliath was one of the remianing descentants after the flood
 
From what i understand. Nephelim are the hybrid. The product of “sons of God”(fallen angels) and “daughters of men”(women on earth). So they are a breed of fallen angels and earth women which bred these giants…abominations which is why Noah wanted to wipe them out. I believe Goliath was one of the remianing descentants after the flood
No. This theory is incompatible with Catholicism, and by the fact angels are not physical creatures so they cannot have physical offspring.
 
No. This theory is incompatible with Catholicism, and by the fact angels are not physical creatures so they cannot have physical offspring.
As far ans angels not being physical creatures, true, but can they assume a physical from?
I don’t know lets ask Tobias if Raphael had a physical form. 🤷
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top