Netflix Original Series: Borgia?

  • Thread starter Thread starter eyesopening
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eyesopening

Guest
Anybody know if the Netflix Original Series “Borgia” is anti-catholic? Obviously I want to avoid if so. Thanks.
 
Anybody know if the Netflix Original Series “Borgia” is anti-catholic? Obviously I want to avoid if so. Thanks.
True? As true as historical fiction generally is.

Anti-Catholic? Perhaps. I haven’t seen it, but it sounds like it runs that risk.
 
I don’t know about it being anti-Catholic, but there is a lot of immoral and corruptible material in it. The Borgias were pretty bad generally, but no more so than any of the other rich and to-do families of the era. The show is more about the family and relationships and not so much about the Church, though the Church does figure heavily into the show due to Pope Alexander VI being a Borgia, etc.

There is always an element of truth to all stories, and this is no different. This show is dramatized and actual events were either changed, invented, or omitted all together to make for better TV aimed at generating ratings.

If you can separate that from our Faith and understand that our Church has had its dark moments due to our weak humanity (because as I mentioned earlier, there is an element of truth to the story), then watch it with that understanding. Otherwise I might recommend steering clear of it all together.
 
The IMDb parent’s guide says it has lots of full frontal nudity and graphic sex (9 out of 10 on the scale). I’d stay far away from it on those grounds alone.
 
Let us just say… it is for mature audiences (like 35 and above (^_^) ) only that are secure in their faith and able to allow it to be a story and not a cometary on the times, and the nudity to be artistic expression and not a lust instilling graphic.
 
Thanks for the replies, all. Looks like I’ll be skipping this one. I appreciate the help.
 
Anybody know if the Netflix Original Series “Borgia” is anti-catholic? Obviously I want to avoid if so. Thanks.
I have seen some episodes and it is full of sex. They also have the Showtime version on Netflix with Jeremy Irons. I usually fast forward through the sex scenes or cover my eyes. HAHA. I have problems with lust and purity so it is a must for me.
 
I have seen some episodes and it is full of sex. They also have the Showtime version on Netflix with Jeremy Irons. I usually **fast forward through the sex scenes **or cover my eyes. HAHA. I have problems with lust and purity so it is a must for me.
I did the same - mainly out of embarrassment. Perhaps this is strange, but after following this Showtime series I developed a greater appreciation for how Christ upholds His Bride, even though the people within stumble into sin (and wallow there!). Although I understand the series focused on certain sins that attract ratings, it may depict the general culture at that time with at least some degree of accuracy. With society in such turmoil it is no wonder a monk’s attempt to change some practices of the church blew up into the Reformation with all its religious and political consequences.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top