New book of Indulgences?

  • Thread starter Thread starter awalt
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

awalt

Guest
I am sure I heard on CA Live that one of the guest priests (triglione maybe?) said that the USCCB has justauthoirzed/aprroved (or something) a new book of Indulgences, but I can’t find anything on the topic.

Has anyone heard of this?
 
I have been intending to purchase this myself. Just now, I typed “manual of indulgences” in google.com and got the website page at the US Conference of Bishops that provides online ordering information for this, the indulgence sourcebook. You can order it in English or even in Latin if you wish. You can also call to make an order by calling 800-235-8722 or you can email CustomerService at CSS@usccb.org.
 
I’d love for the Divine Mercy Chaplet to be indulgenced for starters, as the Rosary is 👍
 
That’s the new one, thanks for finding it. I actually checked the USCCB, the key was the name changed from “Handbook…” to “Manual…”
 
My edition of the new “Manual of Indulgences” just arrived today. It is a beautiful English edition of the 1999 Enchirdion Indulgentiarum published by the Holy See.

The English translation was done by the USCCB Secretariat for the Liturgy under the supervision of the Holy See. Some people would be interested to know that this edition does not employ ICEL translation for all the prayers throughout, so every traditional prayer would be that which are familiar to most English-speaking Catholics. Others might like to know that “thy-thou-thee” are used for most of the traditional prayers.

The book is very nicely done by USCCB Publications and would be a benefit to all Catholics.
 
I had recently purchased the Pope Paul VI
Handbook of Indulgences, published by Catholic Book Publishing Company (hardback).

Does this new USCCB edition nullify any of the indulgences in the Pope Paul VI version? I think my copy came off the press around 1998 or 1999.

Jaypeeto3 (aka Jaypeeto4)
 
Indulgences predicate on the authority Christ invested in his Church, and generally, the authority for granting indulgences is reserved to the Holy Father. The acts and prayers for which an indulgence is attached are published by Rome in Latin, and it is the official Latin edition that is normative/valid throughout the world. The current edition is the 4th edition of the Enchiridion Indulgentiarum published in 1999; this replaces the 3rd edition of the 1986 Enchiridion Indulgentiarum.

The Handbook of Indulgences published by Catholic Book Publishing in 1991 is an English translation of the 1986 Enchridion. So technically, this edition has long been superseeded by the 1999 Enchiridion. It is only in 2006 that the new English translation of the Enchridion is made available by USCCB under the title “Manual of Indulgences”.

There are however few substantive differences between the 1999 Enchiridion and the 1986 Enchiridion. The current edition largely rearranges the material in a more user-friendly format while retaining, and sometimes expanding on, the grants of indulgences. There appears to be 1 omission though: removing the partial indulgence for prayers for vocation. So if one consults the “Handbook of Indulgences”, one would still get a fairly accurate list of the indulgences, but would miss some of the more recent grants.

The new “Manual of Indulgences” contains a more accurate translation of many of the prayers in our Catholic tradition, and I would prefer this over ICEL’s paltry texts. It also includes the decree from Rome that attached the plenary indulgence to the celebration of Divine Mercy Sunday.
 
Before I fork out the money for it, I’d like to know if it is very different from the previous book.

Did they add to the list of indulged prayes, such as the Divine Mercy chaplet, or anything like that?

Thank you.
 
I just got my copy in the mail yesterday evening and briefly scanned through it.
The format is different from the older book, cleaner copy and crisper type. Very nice little book.
Most of the prayers ( I’d say 95% ) are the same.
The chaplet isn’t indulgenced, but Divine Mercy Sunday is.
They also added some prayers from the Eastern Churches which are now indulgenced.
It’s worth having.

Jaypeeto3 (aka Jaypeeto4)
 
I just got my copy in the mail yesterday evening and briefly scanned through it.
The format is different from the older book, cleaner copy and crisper type. Very nice little book.
Most of the prayers ( I’d say 95% ) are the same.
The chaplet isn’t indulgenced, but Divine Mercy Sunday is.
They also added some prayers from the Eastern Churches which are now indulgenced.
It’s worth having.

Jaypeeto3 (aka Jaypeeto4)
Thank you!
 
So the only way to get an up-to-date Enchiridion is to shell out $20 for the print version?

Isn’t this the kind of information that the Bishops could (and perhaps should) make available on their website, or otherwise?
 
Yes, the Manual of Indulgences is out of print on the USCCB website. But I’ve found a place that still sells them, and they are on sale!

Hope this helps!
 
But as far as I know, many of the older indulgences don’t apply anymore. Which is kinda sad since there’s a prayer by St. Pius X I prayer after saying the 1962 Breviary, which used to have a 300 day indulgence attached.

Its still a good prayer, I still say it, but now its without partial indulgence.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top