New Catholic Church/Protestant Design

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnDeP
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JohnDeP

Our parish is building a new church (they call it a chapel but it will be huge) several miles down the road from the existing one. I have been in email contact with the diocesan construction administrator for over a year about making sure there will be kneelers and it will look like a Catholic church (the current one has no crucifix, uses theatre-in-the-round seating, no kneelers, etc.). I was assured that it was a diocesan rule that all new church should have kneelers. Last month I got a bomb-shell email from him stating that the bishop leaves it up to the individual pastor about whether to have kneelers or not (guess what our pastor chose). My question is if I have any options? Specifically, do I have any standing? Thank you very much for your time and consideration. Sincerely,

-JohnDeP

If possible, kneelers should be provided for the comfort of the congregation which is required to kneel, according to liturgical law:

“In the dioceses of the United States of America, they should kneel beginning after the singing or recitation of the *Sanctus *until after the *Amen *of the Eucharistic Prayer, except when prevented on occasion by reasons of health, lack of space, the large number of people present, or some other good reason” (General Instruction of the Roman Missal #43).

“Moreover, benches or chairs should be arranged, especially in newly built churches, in such a way that the people can easily take up the postures required for the different parts of the celebration and can easily come forward to receive Holy Communion” (General Instruction of the Roman Missal #311).

The posture required for the consecration is kneeling, so the question now is how comfortable the pastor wants to make the parishioners while they kneel in accordance with liturgical law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back