New Church Advisory Group

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

A group of prominent Catholic business leaders and academics announced yesterday that they have formed a nonprofit organization aimed at professionalizing the governance and administration of the Roman Catholic Church in the United States, which has been reeling from a string of management and financial problems.

The new group called for the church to solicit nominations from clergy and lay people for candidates to be bishops and for bishops to consult parishioners and parish employees before naming new pastors. Also recommended were a broad series of administrative changes, including the appointment of a chief administrative officer for every diocese, publication of annual financial statements that are ''reader-friendly," and the initiation of performance reviews for priests, nuns, auxiliary bishops, and other church employees.

The new organization, called the National Leadership Roundtable on Church Management, says it will aim to gather the expertise of accomplished lay Catholics and use it to transform the nation’s largest religious denomination. The Catholic Church in recent years has faced a clergy abuse scandal attributed in part to poor management, a personnel crisis because of the dwindling number of priests, bankruptcy filings by three dioceses, and a raft of parish and school closings.

The founder of the round table, former Boston College chairman Geoffrey T. Boisi, said that together, the nation’s dioceses employ more than 1 million people and have annual operating budgets of almost $100 billion. Boisi, who is also a retired executive of Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan Chase, cited diminishing attendance at Mass, a deterioration in financial support, and an increasing reliance on lay ministers with variable levels of training as major challenges facing the church.

''Many of these issues have been brewing for a while, but the scandal has brought them to the fore, and one key thing that has to be done is the reestablishment of a relationship of trust and cooperation through communication and transparency and systems of accountability," Boisi said. ''We’re hoping people are going to view this [new group] as a catalyst, and as an important step in the assembling of lay and religious leaders to creatively focus our collective skills on addressing some of the important and urgent management issues facing the church."

Signaling a willingness by some church leaders to consider the recommendations, two bishops from small dioceses appeared at a Washington, D.C., news conference announcing the round table. Members of the agenda-setting body of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, the administrative committee, invited Boisi and other round-table leaders to join them for lunch today in Washington. Boisi said the round table has also met individually with several bishops and has been collaborating with a number of organizations representing church workers.

A spokesman for the bishops, Monsignor Francis J. Maniscalco, offered a noncommittal response to the formation of the group. ''We have many independent groups in the church," he said. ''They will go about their business, and it will up to the bishops to consider what they recommend."

boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/03/15/nonprofit_aims_to_aid_us_diocese_governance/

Sounds like a really bad idea. I can see the sneaky left further infiltrating. The article really shows it is an attempt to further secularize the Church.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
The new group called for the church to solicit nominations from clergy and lay people for candidates to be bishops and for bishops to consult parishioners and parish employees before naming new pastors. Also recommended were a broad series of administrative changes, including the appointment of a chief administrative officer for every diocese, publication of annual financial statements that are ''reader-friendly," and the initiation of performance reviews for priests, nuns, auxiliary bishops, and other church employees.
The Church is not a democracy.

The laity do not hire the bishop and pastors.

I am not against asking the laity for their opinions but who are they to pick?

What degree in theology do the majority of laity have? How will they pick bishops and pastors? Most likely it will be a popularity contest and they will end up picking those who preach what they want to hear, not what they need to hear.

And who is a “chief administrative officer” and where do they get the authority to do performance reviews of bishops, priests, and religious?

This is just another group like VOTF who want to enforce their views upon the Church.

Just another bad idea.

Another anti-Catholic group trying to get the entire Church in the United States to become anti-Catholic along with them…so nice. 😦

Why don’t they just form another Church?

40.png
ByzCath:
I am not against asking the laity for their opinions but who are they to pick?
My very thought as I read it was and just WHO appointed you? Isn’t it amazing how so many get the “call” to lead and so few to just pray and follow? It seems to me that we have TOO many groups now trying to “run” the Church.

The laity are no longer the pray, pay and obey crowd - we have let our various bishops know what we think about certain issues - but I don’t think we need another “large organized group” to “take charge”. Talk about redundancy.

40.png
TPJCatholic:
Another anti-Catholic group trying to get the entire Church in the United States to become anti-Catholic along with them…so nice. 😦

Why don’t they just form another Church?
Becuase then the self promoters would not have the mantle of legitimacy. It is all about them and changing the moral law, especially as it teaches on sexuality. It is that simple.

I am reminded of Acts 19:13-17
Then some itinerant Jewish exorcists tried to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those with evil spirits, saying, “I adjure you by the Jesus whom Paul preaches.” 14 When the seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish high priest, tried to do this, 15 the evil spirit said to them in reply, “Jesus I recognize, Paul I know, but who are you?” 16 The person with the evil spirit then sprang at them and subdued them all. He so overpowered them that they fled naked and wounded from that house. 17 When this became known to all the Jews and Greeks who lived in Ephesus, fear fell upon them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was held in great esteem.
It tends to make one cautious. 😉

40.png
HagiaSophia:
A group of prominent Catholic business leaders and academics announced yesterday that they have formed a nonprofit organization aimed at professionalizing the governance and administration of the Roman Catholic Church in the United States, which has been reeling from a string of management and financial problems.
Right. The Church is just another big business that will be set straight when good old capitalist principles are put into place.

BTW, what’s a “prominent Catholic business leader”? Wasn’t the late John Gotti prominent, a Catholic, and a leader of a certain form of business?

40.png
Richardols:
Right. The Church is just another big business that will be set straight when good old capitalist principles are put into place.

BTW, what’s a “prominent Catholic business leader”? Wasn’t the late John Gotti prominent, a Catholic, and a leader of a certain form of business?
I don’t care who they are, I am simply tired of the “self appointed” grasping for power in the church. Who is it they think they represent? Who asked’em? Who wants’em?

Having the laity involved in the picking of bishops is hardly a new idea in the Church. It is part of our history. Perhps there is a reason it is part of our history and no longer followed?

But given certani issues in the Chruch - gay clergy, for example, does the phrase “Physician, heal theyself” ring any bells? Set off any warning buzzers?

Pray, tell me, how do we expect bishops, some of whom have already been “outed”, and presumably others who haven’t, and a college of Cardinals, statistically whom one could presume have gays among their members, to root out the homosexual problem within the clergy? And the last time I checked, bishops were taken from among the clergy, not the laity.

How do we deal with a good ol’ boy network already firmly entrenched, which is the source of the problem? How do we expect them to police themselves?

The program started by Mr. Boisi could be a legitimate, orthodox based group, in spite of the rapidity of some on this thread to judge them another liberal Trojan horse. But the historical problems, coupled with the fact that the aging liberals are still among us in force would caution us from thinking that this has much chance of success.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I don’t think the bishops will condemn it outright; it will just be one of those items that gets studied to death, until the proponents either die, move on to the next forum, or find something else demanding their attention.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
I don’t care who they are, I am simply tired of the “self appointed” grasping for power in the church. Who is it they think they represent? Who asked’em? Who wants’em?
That is their m.o. They foist themselves on others claiming to be the voice of all Catholics. They do not represent me. The laity need to reform themselves as much as the bishops do.

40.png
fix:
That is their m.o. They foist themselves on others claiming to be the voice of all Catholics. They do not represent me. The laity need to reform themselves as much as the bishops do.
Precisely. We have bishops to run dioceses and heaven knows they have enough consultors, committees, synods and advice as it is. And then thre are people like me, the free lancers. 😃

40.png
HagiaSophia:
Precisely. We have bishops to run dioceses and heaven knows they have enough consultors, committees, synods and advice as it is. And then thre are people like me, the free lancers. 😃
The other part of this that is so absurd to me is that the bishops should spend much more time of religious issues like saving souls and catechesis and less on public relations, management issues, finances, etc.

We need spiritual Shepherds not more ceo types.

I’d be more impressed if they offered any expertise they have to their dioceses first before they launched out on a rogue para-church group.

However academics have habit of thinking they know what is best for everyone 😦

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back