New Coldplay Single: Violet Hill

  • Thread starter Thread starter jlr247
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jlr247

Guest
Coldplay released a song for free download from their website coldplay.com until May 5, called Violet hill. I love coldplay; the songs are beautiful and the lyrics are good for a secular band (no God/religion-bashing, no swearing, no smut).

However, with this one, I’m kind of questioning the lyrics:
Was a long and dark December
From the rooftops I remember
There was snow, white snow
Clearly I remember
From the windows they were watching
While we froze down below
When the future’s architectured
By a carnival of idiots on show
You’d better lie low
If you love me
Won’t you let me know?
Was a long and dark December
When the banks became cathedrals
And the fog, became God
Priests clutched onto bibles
Hollowed out to fit their rifles
And the cross was held aloft
Bury me in armor
When I’m dead and hit the ground
My love’s opposed but unfolds
If you love me
Won’t you let me know?
I don’t want to be a soldier
Who the captain of some sinking ship
Would stow, far below
So if you love me
Why’d you let me go?
I took my love down to violet hill
There we sat in the snow
All that time she was silent still
So if you love me
Won’t you let me know?
If you love me,
Won’t you let me know?
So, CAFers, what do you think it means? I for one am not too sure.
 
I haven’t heard it but it sounds depressing.

It sounds like they are trying to make some kind of comment on religious corruption. It seems too ambiguous for me to make a call on though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top