New Covenant & Ten Commandments (for Jews, not Christians)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter havana1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

havana1

Guest
Has anyone heard the view that we’re not obligated to follow the Ten Commandments because they were rules given to the Jews, not to Christians, and we’re now under the New Covenant - or something like that, if I understand the objection correctly. OTOH, Catholics “changed” the Ten Commandments just like how some the books of the Bible were “added,” yet OTOH, the Ten Commandments don’t really “matter” because of the whole OSAS and observing the Ten Commandments is tantamount is trying to “earn” or “work for” your salvation. I seriously wish I could understand these non-Catholic views the next time I encounter them. Anyone? 🤷
 
vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2.htm

Reading Jesus’ words in the Bible clears up those issues.

Regarding the Commandments, Jesus definitely applies them to His followers, the first Christians…and as we know, He commanded His disciples to go into the whole world and teach what He taught.

The Catechism quotes Matthew 19:16-19. 2052 “Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?” To the young man who asked this question, Jesus answers first by invoking the necessity to recognize God as the “One there is who is good,” as the supreme Good and the source of all good. Then Jesus tells him: "If you would enter life, keep the commandments." And he cites for his questioner the precepts that concern love of neighbor: “You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.” Finally Jesus sums up these commandments positively: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."1

Regarding 'earning your salvation…I’ll get you the texts to answer such comments…and by the way, the Catholic Church didn’t 'add the books, the Protestants left them out 🙂
 
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who **does **the will of my Father who is in heaven will enter” [Matthew 7, 21]

Faith increases as a result of our obedience to the will of God, and obedience is achieved by doing good works and trying hard not to neglect them. [2 Corinthians 10,15].

“Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption; but he who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not grow weary in well-doing, for in due season we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.” [Galatians 6:7-9]

"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Phil 2:12-13

Take the case, my brothers of someone who has never done a single good act but claims that he has faith. Will that faith save him? If one of the brothers or one of the sisters is in need of clothes and has not enough food to live on, and one of you says to them, ‘I wish you well; keep yourself warm and eat plenty’, without giving them these bare necessities of life, then what good is that?: if good works do not go with it, it is quite dead.

This is the way to talk to people of that kind:'You say you have faith and I have good deeds; I will prove to you that I have faith by showing you my good deeds–now you prove to me that you have faith without any good deeds to show.


You believe in one God–that is creditable enough, but the demons have the same belief, and they tremble with fear. Do realize, you senseless man, that faith without works is useless. You surely know that Abraham our Father was justified by his deed, because he offered Isaac on the altar? There you see it; faith and good deeds were working together; his faith became perfect by what he did. This is what scripture really means when it says:

Abraham put his faith in God, and this was counted as making him justified; and that is why he was called the friend of God. You see now that it is by doing something good, and not only by believing, that a man is justified." [James 2: 14-24]
 
I hope these sources, and other similar ones help you to answer these erroneous objections.
God bless you.
Actually, to reiterate what I stated in my original message, I am trying to answer anti-Catholic objections that the Ten Commandments are for Jews, not Christians, and that the Ten Commandments means we “work” for our salvation, and that the “New Covenant”/OSAS thing is supposed to take care of our salvation. Why is it so difficult to find Catholic answers for the very pervasive anti-Catholic beliefs like this peculiar “anti-Ten Commandments” belief that it’s only for Jews, not for Christians? (It’s still nearly impossible to find Constantine-oriented apologetics, but that for another thread.) Aren’t there Bible verses that show EVERYONE is obliged to observe the Ten Commandments? When someone tries to lecture me about the ‘New Covenant’ and “Silly Catholics, the Ten Commandments are for Jews, not you!,” I would like to be able to respond with accurate Catholic answers. It’s probably not the wisest thing to answer an anti-Catholic allegation with the Vatican web site - I’m looking for supporting scripture. I hope that clarifies what I’m asking.
 
If you read what I’ve posted you will find I have posted scripture, and that the Catechism is based on scripture…however, I heavily quoted scriptures that a person can use for the purpose you seek.

If you don’t find it helpful to read others’ quotes from the Bible, for instance, those given in each of my posts, you may find it helpful to make a close study of the Bible yourself, and read all that Jesus says.
Jesus made it clear that His words, as quoted above from the Bible, were intended and directed towards all people, not simply the Jews,

*“When the Advocate comes, whom I shall send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who issues from the Father, He will be my witness. And you too will be my witnesses.” *[John 15: 26-27] *“When He comes, He will show the world how wrong it was, about sin…and about judgement” and “about who was in the right: proved by my going to the Father…proved by the prince of this world already being condemned.” *
Jesus promised, “I still have many things to say to you but they would be too much for you now. But when the Spirit comes He will lead you to the complete truth…All He tells you will be taken from what is mine.” “You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and then you will be my witnesses not only in Jerusalem but indeed…to the ends of the earth.” [John 16:8-9, 12-13, 15]

Before His ascension, Jesus said,* “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore, make disciples of all the nations; baptise them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teach them to observe all the commands I gave you. And know that I am with you always, yes even to the end of time.” *[Matthew 28:17-20]

“This mystery [of Christ] that has now been revealed through the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets was unknown to anyone in past generations; it means that pagans now share the same inheritance, that they are parts of the same body, and the same promise has been made to them, in Christ Jesus, through the gospel.” [Ephesians 3:4-7]

If you read even just the quotes I gave in my posts you have the truth, but you will surely find careful study of the New Testament of great assistance to the questions you are facing. Jesus stated clearly that we must obey the commandments, and this is part of the whole teaching Jesus mandated the disciples to teach to all nations.

I hope you find your answers soon, for your peace of mind, and the benefit of those whom you seek to enlighten.
God bless you
 
To put these two things together,

Matthew 19: 16-19

16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?” 17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”
18 “Which ones?” he inquired.
Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony,****19 honor your father and mother,’c] and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’

Luke 18:20
Jesus said, " You know the commandments: ‘You shall not commit adultery, you shall not murder, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.’a]”

Note that Jesus said “you know the Commandments”…and every Jew listening to Him knew the ten commandments and exactly what Jesus meant.
Jesus told them to teach the truths He had taught them to all nations. Not just to Jews, but to all.

**Jesus said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore, **make disciples of all the nations; baptize them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teach them to observe all the commands I gave you. And know that I am with you always, yes even to the end of time.” [Matthew 28:17-20]

I don’t see how Jesus could have made His intention more clear?
 
I guess what I find confusing is why you’re the only person who responded to what I asked (and for that, I am thankful.) Is there nobody else out there who can explain the “Evangelical Christian” notion of the ‘New Covenant’ and why we are not - according to erroneous this view - obligated to observe the Ten Commandments? There’s barely two paragraphs in James Akin’s book “The Salvation Controversy” when I looked up “Ten Commandments” in the index - maybe he needs a revised edition?

It’s not a sexy and sensational thread topic, but there are anti-Catholic types who really do believe this, so I’m more than a little confused as to why only one person could shed any light on it. Color me puzzled. 🤷
 
Hi,
I am new to the forums and have many protestant friends, so maybe I can be helpful.

I think that many protestants are referring to abolishing to law with the new covenant, which
gets rid of the 621 laws the old covenant required of Israel. See Leviticus. My protestant friends still believe they most follow the 10 commandments but because they cannot possible keep from sinning, they will fall, but that doesn’t affect their salvation. I believe they think it is if they ignore the commandments, that through their actions, they are not really walking with Christ, and therefore are not really believers.

I found a great article (because I am always trying to talk to my protestant friends) by Peter Kreeft on the Protestant Reformation patheos.com/community/returntorome/2010/10/31/reformation-day-2010-is-the-reformation-over/

or google Peter Kreeft The Journey home and that should take you to the site.

Hope this helps,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top