New Jerusalem Bible bonded leather binding (is it sewn or glued)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter KShaft
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KShaft

Guest
Im thinking of either buying the Cambridge NRSV reference version in F Moroccan leather or getting the bonded leather edition of the Double Day NJB and having it rebound in either Calf or Goat skin. Can anyone tell me if the DD NJB binding is sewn or glued? if it is glued then Im just gonna pick up the NRSV which right now IS NOT my first choice, not because of its excellent binding, but because of the ridiculous amount of gender neutering.

Im not interested in the RSV-2CE as I have the Ignatious study bible (rebound!) and to be honest I prefer the 1CE to it. I have the CTS bible, its a little too familiar language with that one(but still decent). I like my oxford RSV-CE but I prefer a thicker bible, as its almost a slimline. It is high quality though. I wish they would have leather lined it as opposed to boards. Then I might not even bother… the leather is cowhide on it. Very nice. I know Im picky. This bible will be a casual reading bible. I hate bonded leather, so If I end up with the DD NJB its binding is going to have to go.

So bonded leather version of the NJB, sewn or glued? THAT is the question…

Thanks,
KS
 
I had my DD NJB rebound in goatskin, and while the bindings are sewn the rebinder still felt it necessary to place extra cords for support. So, untrustworthily sewn would be my answer.
 
Thank you for the reply. So how does it feel and read? Is it nice and limp or at least flat for you? How is it holding up considering the binding? One more question if you would, who did the rebinding? Ive had McSpaden and Ace bindery do mine. Both were good with the nod going to McSpaden but neither used leather lining as I would have preferred. I did not specify however.

Thanks again,

KS
 
Thank you for the reply. So how does it feel and read? Is it nice and limp or at least flat for you? How is it holding up considering the binding? One more question if you would, who did the rebinding? Ive had McSpaden and Ace bindery do mine. Both were good with the nod going to McSpaden but neither used leather lining as I would have preferred. I did not specify however.

Thanks again,

KS
I had Leonard’s Book Restoration Station do mine in a nice forest green harmatan goatskin, leather lining (I think?) with three green ribbons. The leather is stiff (which was a big disappointment), but it does lie flat. It’s holding up fine since I rarely use it anymore! I actually prefer my Oxford compact hardcover RSV-CE to anything these days, even my extremely limp Cambridge Wide-Margin ESV.
 
I hear good things about Leonard’s. That isnt good that your Bible didnt turn out the way you wanted. I would have thought Goat=limp and flexible unless you put it on hard boards intentionally. Then again, the ESV3 I have is stiff. I mean it bends bit its not like the Cambridge Concord or the Longprimer I have. No way. Yeah it doesnt seem like goat at all but it might be the boards or liner or both. My NASB is soft but the cover is not at all limp. It opens very flat but not at all flimsy. But here again its definately the boards and lack of leather lining which the goat pitts do not have.

Those Oxfords are underrated. If they would just use leather lining they would really be great binding wise. I have the KJV concord ref in goat. That thing is nice and why I was leaning to a flexible goatskin, or the NRSV FM by Cambridge. Reference anyway. I dont think the standard text ones are up to snuff or even printed or bound in the same place as the reference. Just a guess.

I do wish I liked the ESV. The crossway stuff is nice. Most guys get a Cambridge or Allan(for ESV), but I think the classic ref in calf would work great for me. Thing is, although the RSV-CE is my favorite translation, the ESV for me doesnt read well for me. It is off rhythm or something in certain areas. I really dont understand why, its close to the RSV, but it doesnt flow like it does. It might be the font(type not size), but I think its more than that. Maybe Ill try to find a Cambridge and look at that one. I did like the Wide margain crossway, but that has the cardboardish genuine leather. Definitely not Oxford level genuine leather (which is cowhide on the RSV-CE Im pretty sure, but even their Berkshire or pig is good like on the newer NOABs).

Any way I could get my hands on a Cambridge RSV in FM for around retail price
(with shipping) but its Breviary size, so no bigger than 8pt font. The pitt I have is 6.75 and a bit small for me…if it had a bigger font(the RSV), I would have bought it already.
This same place also has a calfskin reference KJV (im not sure about the size) with DC books. Yes brand spanking new. If I didnt have the Goat Concord, Id get this one too. If you are interested in these, I can tell you where to get them, Im just not going to broadcast it so Id send you an IM.
I also picked up (and its yet to arrive) an Oxford NRSV with DC books in a genuine leather format (so it should be almost exactly the same as my RSV-CE which is very good) for %10 percent of retail. Even though I am considering the Cambridge NRSV, I just couldnt pass it up at that price(and now since I own an NRSV I am more looking toward the NJB). Let me know if your interested in those and Ill just shoot you an IM where to get them since you seem to collect these things too.

Thanks for the prompt replies and all the help.
KS
 
I’m wondering about book rebinding. Which kind of books can be rebound and which can not? I know, “you should contact them” but I’d like a clue before I do:o
Thanks
 
I hear good things about Leonard’s. That isnt good that your Bible didnt turn out the way you wanted. I would have thought Goat=limp and flexible unless you put it on hard boards intentionally. Then again, the ESV3 I have is stiff. I mean it bends bit its not like the Cambridge Concord or the Longprimer I have. No way. Yeah it doesnt seem like goat at all but it might be the boards or liner or both. My NASB is soft but the cover is not at all limp. It opens very flat but not at all flimsy. But here again its definately the boards and lack of leather lining which the goat pitts do not have.

Those Oxfords are underrated. If they would just use leather lining they would really be great binding wise. I have the KJV concord ref in goat. That thing is nice and why I was leaning to a flexible goatskin, or the NRSV FM by Cambridge. Reference anyway. I dont think the standard text ones are up to snuff or even printed or bound in the same place as the reference. Just a guess.

I do wish I liked the ESV. The crossway stuff is nice. Most guys get a Cambridge or Allan(for ESV), but I think the classic ref in calf would work great for me. Thing is, although the RSV-CE is my favorite translation, the ESV for me doesnt read well for me. It is off rhythm or something in certain areas. I really dont understand why, its close to the RSV, but it doesnt flow like it does. It might be the font(type not size), but I think its more than that. Maybe Ill try to find a Cambridge and look at that one. I did like the Wide margain crossway, but that has the cardboardish genuine leather. Definitely not Oxford level genuine leather (which is cowhide on the RSV-CE Im pretty sure, but even their Berkshire or pig is good like on the newer NOABs).

Any way I could get my hands on a Cambridge RSV in FM for around retail price
(with shipping) but its Breviary size, so no bigger than 8pt font. The pitt I have is 6.75 and a bit small for me…if it had a bigger font(the RSV), I would have bought it already.
This same place also has a calfskin reference KJV (im not sure about the size) with DC books. Yes brand spanking new. If I didnt have the Goat Concord, Id get this one too. If you are interested in these, I can tell you where to get them, Im just not going to broadcast it so Id send you an IM.
I also picked up (and its yet to arrive) an Oxford NRSV with DC books in a genuine leather format (so it should be almost exactly the same as my RSV-CE which is very good) for %10 percent of retail. Even though I am considering the Cambridge NRSV, I just couldnt pass it up at that price(and now since I own an NRSV I am more looking toward the NJB). Let me know if your interested in those and Ill just shoot you an IM where to get them since you seem to collect these things too.

Thanks for the prompt replies and all the help.
KS
I had Leonard rebind an RSV-2CE about a year ago. You can follow this link to see some pictures and comments. Overall, I think they did a great job. I just don’t use the RSV-2CE as much as I thought I would. Oh well! But I would go back to them in the future.
 
I hear good things about Leonard’s. That isnt good that your Bible didnt turn out the way you wanted. I would have thought Goat=limp and flexible unless you put it on hard boards intentionally.
Well, the rebinding did look the way I imagined, but yes, I was disappointed that the leather wasn’t as supple as previously believed. It’s still a beautiful Bible. I love the all green aspect of it. (How many green-colored Bibles do you see, seriously?) I see it sitting on my shelf and wish I had more interest in engaging the NJB. So don’t take my criticisms to be concerning the quality of Leonard’s work; rather, I think my disuse has more to do with concerns about the accuracy of the translation than anything, which is odd considering my preference for moderate dynamic equivalence! [As far as translations are concerned, I’m looking forward to the soon-to-be-released NABre even though the prospect of aesthetically pleasing bindings doesn’t hold much promise.]
If you are interested in these, I can tell you where to get them, Im just not going to broadcast it so Id send you an IM.
It’s not so much that I intentionally collect these things as I am just trying to find the perfect fit…which has yet to happen after four years! Given such, I’m having to exercise more discipline and tighten my belt this coming year. Plus, my girlfriend says I spend too much money on Bibles that I don’t read, and she’s right. I’ll probably purchase a compact Oxford NABre this March and the new Oxford Catholic Study Bible this July and call it a year. At that point I’ll just have to pick one (or two) and go with it.
 
I’m wondering about book rebinding. Which kind of books can be rebound and which can not? I know, “you should contact them” but I’d like a clue before I do:o
Thanks
Sewn bindings are the best way to go, they are typically stronger and allow the book to open flat. Some places wont even rebind a book in premium leather unless it has a sewn binding. Some will rebind whatever.

Theres your clue.

Have a good one.
 
Sewn bindings are the best way to go, they are typically stronger and allow the book to open flat. Some places wont even rebind a book in premium leather unless it has a sewn binding. Some will rebind whatever.

Theres your clue.

Have a good one.
As I have mentioned above, Leonard’s offers the option of inserting cords into the binding to strengthen a weak spine for a fee. If the spine is glued, they will automatically insert cords. Even with the cords, a glued spine just won’t be able to endure the same sort of wear’n’tear as a sewn binding.
 
Well, the rebinding did look the way I imagined, but yes, I was disappointed that the leather wasn’t as supple as previously believed. It’s still a beautiful Bible. I love the all green aspect of it. (How many green-colored Bibles do you see, seriously?) I see it sitting on my shelf and wish I had more interest in engaging the NJB. So don’t take my criticisms to be concerning the quality of Leonard’s work; rather, I think my disuse has more to do with concerns about the accuracy of the translation than anything, which is odd considering my preference for moderate dynamic equivalence! [As far as translations are concerned, I’m looking forward to the soon-to-be-released NABre even though the prospect of aesthetically pleasing bindings doesn’t hold much promise.]

It’s not so much that I intentionally collect these things as I am just trying to find the perfect fit…which has yet to happen after four years! Given such, I’m having to exercise more discipline and tighten my belt this coming year. Plus, my girlfriend says I spend too much money on Bibles that I don’t read, and she’s right. I’ll probably purchase a compact Oxford NABre this March and the new Oxford Catholic Study Bible this July and call it a year. At that point I’ll just have to pick one (or two) and go with it.
Unfortunately I dont share your optimism in the NAB. I loathe that thing, and I dont think any revision will help too much. Im glad someones looking forward to it. Sometimes I feel the translators feel very unappreciated cause of all the hatred for that edition.

Yeah I guess were all looking for that perfect version. Perhaps the term should be “close enough” bible.

Im sure Leonards did great work, but I kinda was disapointed too with my Ignatius SB rebind. I mean they did everything I asked and it was a great job, but somehow it just wasnt what I thought it would be.

Have a good one!
KS
 
I had Leonard rebind an RSV-2CE about a year ago. You can follow this link to see some pictures and comments. Overall, I think they did a great job. I just don’t use the RSV-2CE as much as I thought I would. Oh well! But I would go back to them in the future.
I dont think the 2CE is as good as the RSV-CE. It lacks something. Ive been using just the NT, as its with the Ignatius study Bible and for just reading the Oxford I have is better IMHO.

Ive sent emails to 3 or 4 guys and asked them if they would be willing to do everything to my specifics. Namely limp goat with leather liner with good turn around time. This is essential in getting the full limp feel. None of the goat skin bibles I have without leather lining are limp and are stiff. The goatskin on my pitt is soft but its not flexible like the Concord or Longprimer or even my $42 local church publishing Bible which is goatskin lined!!! Its not the leather itself but its support. All the ones that have the leather lining are nice and limp or flexible.

Oh MCcorm, do you have a bona fide review on your site of the Cambridge NRSV? I looked through like 3 years of the blog trying to find it and I couldnt. I found all these side references mentioning that it was your favorite, but no actual review.

Have a blessed day.
 
I dont think the 2CE is as good as the RSV-CE. It lacks something. Ive been using just the NT, as its with the Ignatius study Bible and for just reading the Oxford I have is better IMHO.

Ive sent emails to 3 or 4 guys and asked them if they would be willing to do everything to my specifics. Namely limp goat with leather liner with good turn around time. This is essential in getting the full limp feel. None of the goat skin bibles I have without leather lining are limp and are stiff. The goatskin on my pitt is soft but its not flexible like the Concord or Longprimer or even my $42 local church publishing Bible which is goatskin lined!!! Its not the leather itself but its support. All the ones that have the leather lining are nice and limp or flexible.

Oh MCcorm, do you have a bona fide review on your site of the Cambridge NRSV? I looked through like 3 years of the blog trying to find it and I couldnt. I found all these side references mentioning that it was your favorite, but no actual review.

Have a blessed day.
I actually agree with you about the RSV vs. RSV2CE, even though I don’t particularly care for the archaic language of the RSV. Perhaps it has to do with the truly lack of information that Ignatius Press has released about the Second Edition. Also, renderings like ‘chalice’ instead of ‘cup’ seem forced and unjustified. I also tend to think it will ultimately be a niche translation.

As for the NRSV Cambridge, you are right! I didn’t realize that I never actually did a proper review. Perhaps that was due to referring to it often in other posts. Perhaps I will rectify this! 🙂
 
Im thinking of either buying the Cambridge NRSV reference version in F Moroccan leather or getting the bonded leather edition of the Double Day NJB and having it rebound in either Calf or Goat skin. Can anyone tell me if the DD NJB binding is sewn or glued? if it is glued then Im just gonna pick up the NRSV which right now IS NOT my first choice, not because of its excellent binding, but because of the ridiculous amount of gender neutering.

Im not interested in the RSV-2CE as I have the Ignatious study bible (rebound!) and to be honest I prefer the 1CE to it. I have the CTS bible, its a little too familiar language with that one(but still decent). I like my oxford RSV-CE but I prefer a thicker bible, as its almost a slimline. It is high quality though. I wish they would have leather lined it as opposed to boards. Then I might not even bother… the leather is cowhide on it. Very nice. I know Im picky. This bible will be a casual reading bible. I hate bonded leather, so If I end up with the DD NJB its binding is going to have to go.

So bonded leather version of the NJB, sewn or glued? THAT is the question…

Thanks,
KS
Why don’t you just e-mail the publisher?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top