New Roman Missal music changes

  • Thread starter Thread starter Don9of11
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still partial to Proulx’s Community Mass, which is probably the only current English setting that I will miss. Agreed that the Latin-sung ordinaries will work well in OF; translations will never change. Last Sunday I chanted the Agnus Dei from Orbis Factor (Mass XI), and will start introducing other parts gradually to get the congregation used to hearing them.
That is the one Mass setting that I will mourn. Maybe Proulx can rework the music to fit the text. I sure hope so. I would have one Proulx setting than 1000 Haugen pieces.
 
How many parishes have even implemented Jubilate Deo, which was given to us free by Pope Paul VI? We’d be well served if everyone knew at least that.
Good point.
In April 1974 Pope Paul VI sent to every bishop in the world a booklet of some of the simplest selections of Gregorian Chant, much of it drawn from the Graduale Romanum. This booklet, called Jubilate Deo, was intended as a “minimum repertoire of Gregorian chant”. It is, in other words, an official Latin “core repertoire” for the Roman Rite. It was prepared, the Pope said, in order “to make it easier for Christians to achieve unity and spiritual harmony with their brothers and with the living tradition of the past. Hence it is that those who are trying to improve the quality of congregational singing cannot refuse Gregorian chant the place which is due to it” (Voluntati Obsequens).
Pope Paul VI gave permission for the selections in Jubilate Deo to be freely reprinted. The booklet was accompanied by a letter in which the Holy Father made this request of the bishops:
Code:
“Would you therefore, in collaboration with the competent diocesan and national agencies for the liturgy, sacred music and catechetics, decide on the best ways of teaching the faithful the Latin chants of Jubilate Deo and of having them sing them…. You will thus be performing a new service for the Church in the domain of liturgical renewal” (Voluntati Obsequens).
Jubilate Deo contains simple chant settings in Latin of the parts of the Ordinary of the Mass: Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, Memorial Acclamation, Agnus Dei. It also provides musical settings for the dialogues between priest and people, such as before the Preface, and the Ite Missa est, the response to the Prayer of the Faithful, and others.
An, expanded edition of Jubilate Deo was later issued by the Congregation for Divine Worship in 1987.
Unfortunately, the faithful were not taught these chants, and it is rare to hear any music from this collection sung in parishes today.
Its Latin selections, since they form a minimum repertoire of Gregorian chant, would allow us to finally fulfill the provision of the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, Sacrosanctum Concilium, which said that “steps should be taken enabling the faithful to say or to sing together in Latin those parts of the Ordinary of the Mass belonging to them” (§54).
adoremus.org/JubilateDeo.html
 
There are many talented Catholic composers who were given the new texts to work on composing new mass parts long before the possible changes were being widely discussed. My choir sang some “works in progress” for our music director to hear a live choir singing variations of the parts so long ago that I can’t remember if it was fall of 2008 or early 2009. There will be some that are beautiful and some likely as awful as the ones currently dissed by so many here. They had to send them to Rome for approval on a certain timeline from what I was told, so I think we will see some approved music in plenty of time for whatever date they give us for the official transition to begin. I’ll try to remember to ask him this weekend if he has heard anything lately about where we are in the process.
 
This was not intended as a liturgical work, and it’s WAYYYY too hard for the average parish choir, anyway.
Bishop Basil:

Au Contrare -
Advent Sunday at St. John’s Detroit - Intro to Kyrie
Advent Sunday at St. John’s Detroit - Sursum Corda, Sanctus & Benedictus
And, These settings are in the Hymnal -
Sacred Music America - The Anglican Music Tradition (these are the OTHER GUYS)
And, Please don’t tell that to our Choir Director or to our Schola Cantorum - They don’t know this stuff (Including the Bach Cantatas they sing as Communion Hymns) is supposed to be impossible… And, Please don’t show this post to your Choir Director either, with all of the Polyphony and the difficult music you do in the East.

Maybe part of the reason we’ve been stuck with such boring & banal liturgies and liturgical music in the West is because we’ve expected so little of our congregations and our choirs.

Your Brother & Servant in Christ, Michael
 
Does anyone know when the New Roman Missal for the Ordinary Form is slated to be implemented. My fiancée and I are to be married in July 2011 and I REALLY hope the translation is ready. We currently attend the Extraordinary Form (when I’m not deployed like now 😦 ), but she does not have the same attraction that I do to it, and our families equally do not have familiarity with the EF. For that reason I begrudgingly agreed to an OF Nuptial Mass. The updated translation eases my anxiety over the OF and wondered if there is an official date for implementation? I hear rumours of Advent 2010 or Lent 2011… any truth?

Thanks,

Anthony
 
Does anyone know when the New Roman Missal for the Ordinary Form is slated to be implemented. My fiancée and I are to be married in July 2011 and I REALLY hope the translation is ready. We currently attend the Extraordinary Form (when I’m not deployed like now 😦 ), but she does not have the same attraction that I do to it, and our families equally do not have familiarity with the EF. For that reason I begrudgingly agreed to an OF Nuptial Mass. The updated translation eases my anxiety over the OF and wondered if there is an official date for implementation? I hear rumours of Advent 2010 or Lent 2011… any truth?

Thanks,

Anthony
A recent letter from our bishop, who was part of the translation team, said that it’s slated for Advent (November) 2011. The last books still need to be accepted by Rome and that’s expected by mid 2010. Then they expect a year or so for formatting and printing and getting the new Roman Missal into the hands of parishes.

One can only hope they are already preparing teaching materials so that preparation of the faithful can start ASAP after Rome’s approval is received.

I know it took more than a year after Canada’s new Sunday Lectionary was approved by Rome to get it into use. Approval was in March 2008, implementation was scheduled for the 1st Sunday of Advent of that same year but was delayed until May 2009. We were only dealing with a small country then, now we’ll be dealing with multiple publishers and multiple countries and Conferences.
 
😦 . . . ohhh booo. Well if it is not in place yet I can work with the parish Priest to celebrate the OF in a meaningful and traditional way.
 
😦 . . . ohhh booo. Well if it is not in place yet I can work with the parish Priest to celebrate the OF in a meaningful and traditional way.
I think that as long as you have a priest who “says the black and does the red”, even an Ordinary Form Nuptial Mass will be beautiful! Maybe he’ll be open to celebrating the Holy Mass ad orientem, perhaps with some Latin (the more the better IMHO!)🙂

For your part, you and your fiancee can largely direct the tone of the ceremony - especially through the music you choose.
 
Bishop Basil:

Au Contrare -
Advent Sunday at St. John’s Detroit - Intro to Kyrie
Advent Sunday at St. John’s Detroit - Sursum Corda, Sanctus & Benedictus
And, These settings are in the Hymnal -
Sacred Music America - The Anglican Music Tradition (these are the OTHER GUYS)
And, Please don’t tell that to our Choir Director or to our Schola Cantorum - They don’t know this stuff (Including the Bach Cantatas they sing as Communion Hymns) is supposed to be impossible… And, Please don’t show this post to your Choir Director either, with all of the Polyphony and the difficult music you do in the East.

Maybe part of the reason we’ve been stuck with such boring & banal liturgies and liturgical music in the West is because we’ve expected so little of our congregations and our choirs.

Your Brother & Servant in Christ, Michael
I’m saying nothing against the music of Bach. I was an oboe and organ major, and the best repertoire for both instruments lies in the Baroque.

I AM saying that Bach’s B-Minor mass was NOT intended to be used liturgically, and that most parishes don’t have choirs, much less choirs capable of performing them.

I’m intimately familiar with music of the Byzantine tradition, much more so on a practical level than you are. Much of Russian music is too difficult for many small parish choirs, too.

FWIW, the Melkite Church I attend sings monodic Melkite-Byzantine Chant adapted to English texts.
 
How many parishes have even implemented Jubilate Deo, which was given to us free by Pope Paul VI? We’d be well served if everyone knew at least that.
Those are the common Mass settings in our parish. We use the Kyrie, Sanctus, Gloria and Pater regularly.
 
Those are the common Mass settings in our parish. We use the Kyrie, Sanctus, Gloria and Pater regularly.
You’re lucky. In the 12 years I’ve been here the Sanctus & Agnus Dei were done once in Latin by a Maltese priest who was here replacing for 3 weeks. He sang them by himself because the choir didn’t know any Latin settings.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top