New St. Benedict Douay-Rheims

  • Thread starter Thread starter johnbres2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnbres2

Guest
I was thrilled to have just discovered there is a new reasonably priced line of Douay-Rheims bibles put out by St. Benedict Press. Anyone have one?
 
I purchased the “ultra soft cover” version, quite a while back when they were released. I am VERY pleased with the product. I had been looking for something like this for quite some time, and I must say, St. Benedict Press has outdone themselves. In my opinion, they are now the go to company for quality Catholic Bibles. I also want to get a copy their RSV-CE in the “real leather” version as my current one is getting a bit worn.

Highly recommended.
 
I have one of the leather Douays. It is by far my favorite Bible to use. The print is really easy to read - I have one from Loreto that for some reason is just hard on my eyes. 🙂
 
I purchased the “ultra soft cover” version, quite a while back when they were released. I am VERY pleased with the product. I had been looking for something like this for quite some time, and I must say, St. Benedict Press has outdone themselves. In my opinion, they are now the go to company for quality Catholic Bibles. I also want to get a copy their RSV-CE in the “real leather” version as my current one is getting a bit worn.

Highly recommended.
If you want to get the RSV-CE, then you should wait until Scott Hahn publishes his copy which includes his own commentary on the Bible.

Should be very enlightening.

Archistrage
 
thanks for the (name removed by moderator)ut! I just ordered the large print black leather edition of the new St. Benedict DR and am very excited for it. This was indeed a long time coming.
 
I do not believe you will be disappointed…I have both paperback and leather copies of their Douay, and love them. (I plan at some point getting their RSV-CE as well).
 
If you want to get the RSV-CE, then you should wait until Scott Hahn publishes his copy which includes his own commentary on the Bible.

Should be very enlightening.

Archistrage
Dumb question, but will this be published by St. Benedict Press as well? I would definitely hold off for that. I truly feel the quality of their Bibles is beyond pretty much anything I have found for Catholics.
 
Dumb question, but will this be published by St. Benedict Press as well? I would definitely hold off for that. I truly feel the quality of their Bibles is beyond pretty much anything I have found for Catholics.
Sorry, Ignatius Press. Does the one saint really make that much of a difference 😃

Archistrage
 
I was gifted with one for my Confirmation, the soft leather version, and I LOVE it! It even has a neat little description and explanation of the St. Benedict medal in there. Plus I like the fact that it’s soft and bendy, which to me just makes it feel like it’s a Bible that’s been well used, and not like a stiff hardback one that’s like cracking open a college textbook. But that’s just my personal opinion. There are also a few really beautiful pictures in the back of some paintings. 👍
 
thanks for the (name removed by moderator)ut! I just ordered the large print black leather edition of the new St. Benedict DR and am very excited for it. This was indeed a long time coming.
I just ordered the large print burgundy leather D-R and should get it any day!
 
I was thrilled to have just discovered there is a new reasonably priced line of Douay-Rheims bibles put out by St. Benedict Press. Anyone have one?
My wife got me one for our anniversary, “burnished leather.” It’s the first DR I’ve ever owned, definitely a quality product.

DaveBj
 
Hi,
I would be interested in purchasing a RSV CE from here. Does anyone have one? Is there room to write in the margins? Are the footnotes at the bottom of the page or at the back of the OT/NT testaments?

thanks
Jeanne
 
We sent the large print soft cover to my mother-in-law and she absolutely LOVES it. 🙂
 
We sent the large print soft cover to my mother-in-law and she absolutely LOVES it. 🙂
Thanks. Can you ask her if there is room in the margins for notes?

I have an Ignatius RSV CE and the printing is to tight in the page you can hardly read the words that are near the binding and there is no room for notes.

We are in NY and have family in VA.

Looking forward to what your MIL has to say. Thanks a million.
Jeanne

Thats just what I need another bible:D
 
LOL…you sound like me with bibles and rosaries. I have the Pocket Ignatius RSV (have to wear glasses for that). I will check with the ML when we call her. She’s in Oregon.

For the time being this website gives you a look inside it if you click on the image. Hope it helps:

christianbook.com/rheims-bible-hardcover-genuine-leather-black/9781905574384/pd/574384#curr
Just to be clear,this is the one from Baronius *not *the St. Benedict Press one that this thread is about.
.
 
Just to be clear,this is the one from Baronius *not *the St. Benedict Press one that this thread is about.
.
You’re absolutely right. I should have looked closer. I bought the St Benedict Press bible from Amazon but there were no inside photos to show. Guess I got a little “excited” that I found one without checking the product. :o
 
LOL…you sound like me with bibles and rosaries. I have the Pocket Ignatius RSV (have to wear glasses for that). I will check with the ML when we call her. She’s in Oregon.

For the time being this website gives you a look inside it if you click on the image. Hope it helps:

christianbook.com/rheims-bible-hardcover-genuine-leather-black/9781905574384/pd/574384#curr
No. the site doesn’t help me. It doesn’t show how close the printing is to the spine of the book.

I’ll wait til you talk to you MIL
Thanks
 
Interesting; I never heard of the Saint Benedict Press version of the Douay Rheims Catholic Bible. Guess I’m a little confused by reading some of the posts here.
Am I mistaken that this New Douay Rheims is re-translated into a RSV CE.?
If so it’s not a true Douay Rheims by Bishop Richard Challoner AD 1749-1752 or any other Douay Rheims version there before since AD 1609.

Can anybody clarify this. I have the Tan Books Published Douay Rheims.

Peace
Chris
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top