B
busyjannyb
Guest
I wanted to ask why Jesus said to the good thief “this day you will be with me in paradise” when He didn’t ascend to the Father until later?
Paradise to the Jews meant Sheol and in it was the place called the Abraham’s Bosom, where the OT righteous where waiting for Jesus to open heaven. I forget the verse where this is located, it is in one of Peter’s epistles. Upon opening heaven, the the righteous were taken there, so with the good thief.I wanted to ask why Jesus said to the good thief “this day you will be with me in paradise” when He didn’t ascend to the Father until later?
Pablope, right, I believe you are correct in your answer .Paradise to the Jews meant Sheol and in it was the place called the Abraham’s Bosom, where the OT righteous where waiting for Jesus to open heaven. I forget the verse where this is located, it is in one of Peter’s epistles. Upon opening heaven, the the righteous were taken there, so with the good thief.
Timothy, Luke 16,23…I’d love the New Testament reference if anyone has it and any further references to paradise being sheol.
Thanks.
D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:I wanted to ask why Jesus said to the good thief “this day you will be with me in paradise” when He didn’t ascend to the Father until later?
Not surprised here. Tradition in the East has him being baptized by the water and the blood that poured out of Jesus after he was pierced. So he could have definitely enterd heaven right there and then.St. Cyril, of Jerusalem, says he entered heaven before all the patriarchs and prophets. St. Chrysostom thinks that paradise was immediately open to him, and that he entered heaven the first mankind. (Tom. v. homil. 32.)
1 Peter 3:18-20 (New King James Version)I’d love the New Testament reference if anyone has it and any further references to paradise being sheol.
Thanks.
I would guess that when dead & from then on just like eternity there are no days!I wanted to ask why Jesus said to the good thief “this day you will be with me in paradise” when He didn’t ascend to the Father until later?
Jesus ascended to heaven. The thief was promised paradise. You are assuming here that heaven and paradise are the same. If they’re not, it clears the difficulty.I wanted to ask why Jesus said to the good thief “this day you will be with me in paradise” when He didn’t ascend to the Father until later?