New translation for the Roman Rite

  • Thread starter Thread starter ziapueblo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ziapueblo

Guest
Are there any good resources out there?

Thanks and God bless,
ZP
 
The new translation is meant to more closely follow the Traditional Latin Mass. Here’s a site I had bookmarked that has a good comparison between the two forms:
catholictraditional.50megs.com/comparemass.html

Note 1: This is simply a comparison of the two forms, but it gives an idea of some of the possible changes.

Note 2: You may want to ignore the introduction and scroll right down to:
A COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TEXTS OF THE TRADITIONAL
(TRIDENTINE) MISSAL AND THE NOVUS ORDO MISSAL
Should I find a more relevant web site I’ll post it here.

Reggie
 
The new translation is meant to more closely follow the Traditional Latin Mass. Here’s a site I had bookmarked that has a good comparison between the two forms:
catholictraditional.50megs.com/comparemass.html

Note 1: This is simply a comparison of the two forms, but it gives an idea of some of the possible changes.

Note 2: You may want to ignore the introduction and scroll right down to:

Should I find a more relevant web site I’ll post it here.

Reggie
I mean no offense, yet the introduction is dangerous to my standards.
 
One of our CAF members wrote a book called Praying the Mass. It is an excellent resource on the new translations. Part II should be coming out soon.
 
I thought it was the Missal of 2002 whose English and music were going to be revised.
It is the translation of the 2002 Third Editio Typica of the Roman Missal that we are waiting for – original translation rather than revision. The website that was in that post is a comparison between the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms rather than a comparison between today’s translation and the new one.
 
I have no intention of disrespect or otherwise but I have to ask what exactly will be omitted or abridged when the American and Canadian Council of Bishops get a hold of the (“Original”) translation of the Third Editio Typica of the Roman Missal from Rome which I understand Bishops in both countries presently have copies of. Typically what ever text is omitted or abridged from the (Original Text) handed down by Rome will have to meet Vatican approval.

I must admit that I myself as well as numerous Canadian priests have always preferred the American Roman Missal (Sacramentary) over the Roman Missal that is presently in use amongst most Canadian Catholic Dioceses. There is promise that the new Missal will be more exact in translation with latin than is seen today with inclusive language use.
At least that is my hope.
 
I have no intention of disrespect or otherwise but I have to ask what exactly will be omitted or abridged when the American and Canadian Council of Bishops get a hold of the (“Original”) translation of the Third Editio Typica of the Roman Missal from Rome which I understand Bishops in both countries presently have copies of. Typically what ever text is omitted or abridged from the (Original Text) handed down by Rome will have to meet Vatican approval.

I must admit that I myself as well as numerous Canadian priests have always preferred the American Roman Missal (Sacramentary) over the Roman Missal that is presently in use amongst most Canadian Catholic Dioceses.

There is promise that the new Missal will be more exact in translation with latin than is seen today with inclusive language use.
At least that is my hope.
Are there great differences between the Canadian and American Sacramentaries? The only one I’ve really noticed, and only because I went looking for it, is that the American one doesn’t have a different introduction for each of the acclamations of the Mysterium Fide.

Have you not seen the new translation? Check the USCCB website, it’s there. I know there has been no mention of this on the CCCB website so far.
usccb.org/romanmissal/OrdoMissaeWhiteBook.pdf
 
I’ve got a book about it (see my signature). I’m working on the second volume, which deals with the prayers of the priest. It’ll be done sometime this year…
 
I thought it was the Missal of 2002 whose English and music were going to be revised.
Pope John Paul II issued a revision to the Missal of Paul VI in 2000. It’s still the Missal of Paul VI, but a new edition of it (the third one since originally promulgated).

It’s not a question of revising the Missal for English, but getting an approved translation of it for those who use the English language.
 
Pope John Paul II issued a revision to the Missal of Paul VI in 2000. It’s still the Missal of Paul VI, but a new edition of it (the third one since originally promulgated).
You’re right, my mistake. According to the 2007 Summorum Pontificum he distinguished between the Mass of Pope Paul VI (OF) and the Mass of Blessed Pope John XXIII (EF). So technically it would be the Mass of 1970 whose English is being changed.
Art. 2. In Masses celebrated without the people, each Catholic priest of the Latin rite, whether secular or regular, may use the Roman Missal published by Bl. Pope John XXIII in 1962, or the Roman Missal promulgated by Pope Paul VI in 1970, and may do so on any day with the exception of the Easter Triduum. For such celebrations, with either one Missal or the other, the priest has no need for permission from the Apostolic See or from his Ordinary.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top