New Year's Eve Plans?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lada
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re havubg a barbecue at our place. After all, it is a yearly tradition! Our family and friends bring their own meat and drinks and we have the rest prepared for them. Every year we do something different to pass the time after supper - this year we’ll be doing party games, like Twister, Pictionary…

I don’t want to derail the thread, but what do you tell people when they tell you that you should drink when you can’t/don’t want to? I’m sick of having to explain my reasons…
 
Taye, have you tried telling them it’s a personal choice? if they are “friends”, they will support your decision.
 
I don’t want to derail the thread, but what do you tell people when they tell you that you should drink when you can’t/don’t want to? I’m sick of having to explain my reasons…
I just tell them that I’m so square that I was once the designated driver for my parents. That always gets a laugh. 🙂
 
Taye, have you tried telling them it’s a personal choice? if they are “friends”, they will support your decision.
Either I try brushing them off or I gave them my litany of reasons, which annoys the heck out of them:). I’m just tired of having to defend myself and having people indirectly tell me that I’m uptight because I don’t drink.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll be using that line, and if that’s not good enough, I may need to leave the room…

Sorry for derailing the thread guys!!
 
Oh, I am with you there! Bless his heart, it’s great to see that he still has the vim and vigor to want to go on and do the show, but it’s gotten really uncomfortable to watch! :o
Nothing against Dick Clark personally, of course! The music has just been rotten these past few years, at least in my humble (and aging) opinion.
 
Nothing against Dick Clark personally, of course! The music has just been rotten these past few years, at least in my humble (and aging) opinion.
Well, yes, the music is horrible. But, I will say I don’t like watching Dick personally. He looks like a mannequin!

And, as for the drinking thing, it’s no one’s business. I never get questioned too much about it.
 
Same old thing each year. Watch the ball drop by myself since I have no friends to do anything with. 😦 My husband will be sleeping. I am so depressed.
Oh, I am sorry you feel that way…Why don’t all of us with sleeping spouses or nobody nearby or just plain old alone----all get together and meet here at CAF just before midnight? 🙂
We can all be alone but not alone!
 
Well my oh has now decided that we will be first footing with a dram in hand on hogmaney(new years eve) then on the 1st at night we will be having family and friends over to have a few drams and a sing song as we have just bought lips for the xbox. This is a kariokie through the game console. Should be good. Will keep us occupied. Happy new year to all when it comes.👍
 
My wife and I will enjoy a feast of finger foodie type/ appetizer stuff. We’ll watch the New Years Eve special edition of the Royal Canadian Air Farce on TV. Then we’ll watch a romantic movie together.

At midnight, I will play the song ‘Millenium Prayer’ by Cliff Richard (its the Our Father sung to the worlds of Auld Lang Syne) as I look up at the night sky and thank God for another year of life and pray for a good 2010

Then it will be up the next morning to cantor at 10 AM Mass!

God bless you!

Tony
 
I will be spending New Years Eve with some of my close friends. We are going into NYC to a formal party that has dancing, food, and an open bar. We usually buy tickets to attend a party/reception like this every year at a new place in NYC, so I am hoping for another good time.

There is plenty of public transportation so none of us have to drive and the event is a formal one so much of the ‘amateur night’ aspect of NYE is removed. Most of the people there should be in their late 20s to early 40s. I am looking forward to it.
That sounds just wonderful (except I couldn’t care less about the open bar, as I don’t drink…)

If dh had New Year’s Eve off we might have done something involving dancing and good food, but it’s sure not New York!
 
I’m hanging out with the association of Italians in my country. Which means I have a whole half of a day to develop my l33t Italian skillz!
 
New Year is the biggest holiday of the year in Japan. We are spending it with my husband’s family as usual. We will probably watch TV tonight till around 11.30pm then visit the local Buddhist temple where they will ring the bell 109 times. Tomorrow, we will get up early to see the first sunrise of the New Year, I’ll go to Mass (it’s a holy day here), my in-laws will go to a Shinto shrine, we’ll eat lots of mochi with anko (pounded rice cakes with sweet bean paste), oseiichi (fancy lacquered obento boxes with lots of traditional foods) and spend the rest of the day recovering from lack of sleep and eating too much!
Gearoidin
 
Same old thing each year. Watch the ball drop by myself since I have no friends to do anything with. 😦 My husband will be sleeping. I am so depressed.
Laura, I hope you can cheer up…plan something fun to do at home. My husband and I usually have our children & grandchildren over New Year’s Day…we write “predictions” of what we think/hope the coming year will bring. Then we seal them all up in an envelope I keep in my Bible, to be read the following New Year’s Day. Sometimes they are very funny!

You could do that by yourself if you want to…or do it early in the evening with your husband before he goes to bed. Start a new tradition!
 
My husband and I are spending a quiet evening at home. He has to work early the next morning. This is our first New Years Eve as a married coupld so it should be fun!
 
Decided to go ahead and go to the church function. It’s a Baptist Church so it’s no drinking event but we’ll play volleyball among other things. I’m kind of party’ed out and don’t feel like doing the bar scene.
 
Baby to bed by 8:30 pm

Us to bed by 10:00 pm

Say “Happy New Years” in the morning.
 
Just asked a friend of mine this question. She’ll be ringing in the new year in prayer, before the Blessed Sacrament. 👍
 
Just asked a friend of mine this question. She’ll be ringing in the new year in prayer, before the Blessed Sacrament. 👍
Brilliant! 👍

Our plan is to get some Chinese food in, have ginger ale in the fancy champagne glasses, and pass out in front of a movie. If we happen to be awake at midnight, we’ll watch the count-down on TV and toast the new year in. If I can find the party crackers from last year, we’ll pull a couple of them, and tell the jokes that come with them. :rolleyes: 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top