New York City's Catholic Evidence Guild

• Thread starter Thread starter pat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pat

I want to introduce myself as a speaker for the Catholic Evidence Guild New York Chapter. We’ve been out twice in May in Washington Square Park to share the faith with the public.
We’re part-time apologists and full-time Catholics. Next outdoor meeting is Sat June 5, 2004.

For our mission statement and contact info see catholicevidence.org/

In the years we’ve been doing this we’ve handed out hundreds of Pillar of Fire/Pillar of Truth and Catholic Answers tracts.

Patrick Sweeney

For those who may not be aware of it, the Catholic Evidence Guild was begun in London. Frank Sheed, whom I consider to be the greatest Catholic apologist of the twentieth century, was the president of the Guild beginning in the 1920s.

The Guild’s most influential publication (put out by Sheed & Ward publishers) was “Catholic Evidence Training Outlines,” which is available through Catholic Answers. (Go to the store at our main site.)

In the 1950s the Guild virtually disappeared. It still has a chapter in London, I think, and in recent years chapters were formed in New York and Ann Arbor.

Sheed was a good Catholic, but I think he drifted a bit too much into quasi-Modernism towards the end of his career. Have you ever read his Is It the Same Church?

I know that the publishing house he founded, Sheed & Ward, toay publishes some very heterodox material.

Pat, I live in Long Island. Let me know what I can do to help.

40.png
DominvsVobiscvm:
Sheed was a good Catholic, but I think he drifted a bit too much into quasi-Modernism towards the end of his career. Have you ever read his Is It the Same Church?

I know that the publishing house he founded, Sheed & Ward, toay publishes some very heterodox material.
Sheed foolishly (as he is said to have admitted later) sold his publishing house to a left-wing outfit that proceeded to publish things he never would have touched and not to publish things that he had brought to print.

Rule of thumb: Buy Sheed & Ward books published before 1970 or so.

What about Sheed’s own books Is It the Same Church?, which calls into question teachings like the Church’s ban on artificial contraception.

40.png
DominvsVobiscvm:
What about Sheed’s own books Is It the Same Church?, which calls into question teachings like the Church’s ban on artificial contraception.
Sometimes, when people get older, they lose their mental keenness.

Apparently.

I was really heart-broken to have read it, though, and made me very fearful for the salvation of Sheed’s soul.

Sort of like reading William M. Miller’s Canticle for Leibowitz, and then reading the sequel, Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman.

(Raise your hands, anyone, if you got that last one!)

I want to emphasize the Guild in New York is active this week (this month, etc.) and doing what it always has done: to share the truths of the Catholic and answer sometimes outrageous questions with charity and clarity.

The long history of the Guild is interesting but that’s not we’re about. We were restarted by the work of Fr. Benedict Groeschel CFR and other fine priests and lay volunteers in the 90’s. We have a training progam and spiritual activities as well as the outdoor sessions.

Pat,

Thanks for your work to bring souls home!

Perhaps someday we can get more chapters up and going?:yup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back