New Zealand's Ardern wins 2nd term in election landslide

• Thread starter Thread starter ProVobis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of special note,

“ Her popularity soared earlier this year after she led a successful effort to stamp out the coronavirus. There is currently no community spread of the virus in the nation of 5 million and people are no longer required to wear masks or social distance.”

I hope I didn’t jinx her. 🙂

Last edited:
I do not know any of New Zealand politics. What I found interesting in her speech snippet, was that she said the same thing we hear in America. We live in polarized times, people fail to see each others views.

That points to a global problem. People want to blame Trump or the Democrats in America. Sure they have fault in it, but the problem is deeper than that.

If the whole world is acting the same way. Then the problem is the means of communication and information. This is a deep problem.

Now, we Catholics know that this is the work of the devil.

Always twisting words and using antagonistic speech.

She got 49% of the vote

How was the other 51% split up?

Most of the voters seemed to have favored someone else

Thats common in a British parliamentary democracy. She won a majority of seats.

Then again, in 2016 Trump came second in popular votes but won the electoral college. So most democracies have their quirks…

New Zealand has mixed-member proportional representation.
49% of the vote has translated to 64/120 (53%) seats.
Compare that to Canada:
Liberals 33% = 157/338 (46%). The Conservatives won 34% of the vote but 121/338 (36%).
And it was historic because proportional representation doesn’t normally give majority governments. The only way to govern is to negotiate with smaller parties.
I just find the term landslide interesting when she only got 49% of the vote

A matter of perspective I guess
Seats matter. A parliamentary system requires the Prime Minister to have the support of the legislature. Without it, the monarch (or the governor general acting on behalf of the monarch) will be required to call another election or allow another person to build a coalition.
New Zealand doesn’t have a codified constitution like Canada and the UK. The PM isn’t even an office that exists in the written portions of our constitutions. Canada only mentions the term but doesn’t describe what it is and what the powers are. It only exists through unwritten means!

Last edited:
And maybe this is a reason also. Don’t fix something that is not broke.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back