Newly Baptized Christian Considering Conversion to Catholicism

• Thread starter Thread starter dalonia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dalonia

Would my baptism from the U.C.C.
be “valid”/ “transferred” to the Catholic Church??
Or- would I have to take classes to get confirmed,
since I am not a “cradle Catholic”??

Sorry if this has been posted before-
I’m new here and couldn’t find a similiar
question.
Thanks!
D 🙂

Was your Baptism in the U.C.C. Trinitarian, in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit? Were you Baptized with water while the words were spoken. With the intent to incorporate you into the Mystical Body of Christ?

If so then yes, your Baptism would probably be valid. You would attend a series of catechetical sessions in preparation for Confirmation, and Holy Communion.

Br. Rich SFO:
Was your Baptism in the U.C.C. Trinitarian, in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit?

Were you Baptized with water while the words were spoken. With the intent to incorporate you into the Mystical Body of Christ?

If so then yes, your Baptism would probably be valid. You would attend a series of catechetical sessions in preparation for Confirmation, and Holy Communion.
Yes to both questions-
thank you very much for your reply! 🙂

Welcome D! Hope everything else works out. Let us know if you have any more questions. When I converted to Catholicism I was surprised to find out that not only would my previous Baptism be accepted, but that it precluded being “re-baptised”, which is what I had expected to happen. If for some reason your previous Church would not confirm your baptism to the Parish then they would only in effect perform a ceremony that was meant to baptise you in case you weren’t baptised previously. No matter what we are only baptised once.

40.png
dalonia:
Would my baptism from the U.C.C.
be “valid”/ “transferred” to the Catholic Church??
Or- would I have to take classes to get confirmed,
since I am not a “cradle Catholic”??
The sacrament of confirmation is a separate issue from baptism. The eastern rite churches confer the sacrament of confirmation at the time of baptism, but in the Latin rite, the sacrament of Confirmation occurs at a time after the age of reason that is determined by the local ordinary (diocesan bishop). Any Trinitarian baptism is valid. The Church holds that the sacraments baptism and matrimony can be valid in when conducted by Protestants. These two sacraments do not absolutely require a priest. Any baptism is valid if it is done in the correct form.

Thank you very much to all for your guidance.
I have started watching EWTN and am learning to
pray the rosary- and my well-being is becoming amazingly
calm and contented.
I truly feel that I am being led towards the path of Catholicism.
Peace Be with all of you 🙂

40.png
dalonia:
calm and contented.
What fantastic news! Please keep us updated on your progress. Enjoy the Rosary. Have you been told that there are now five Luminous Mysteries in addition to the Mysteries that I was taught when I became Catholic nine years ago?

40.png
Charles:
What fantastic news! Please keep us updated on your progress. Enjoy the Rosary. Have you been told that there are now five Luminous Mysteries in addition to the Mysteries that I was taught when I became Catholic nine years ago?
No I haven’t!
Please do share this news with me! 😃
Peace be with you and with all.
Dalonia :bible1:

The five Luminous Mysteries, which you reflect on in the same way as you do the other three, are:
  1. Christ’s Baptism in the Jordan River.
  2. Christ’s self-manifestation at the wedding of Cana
  3. Christ’s proclamation of the kingdom of God, with his call to Conversion (Following Matt 3:17, Mk 1:14-15, and Lk 4:14-22)
  4. Christ’s transfiguration on Mt. Tabor
  5. Christ’s institution of the Most Holy Eucharist as the Sacramental Expression of the Paschal Mystery - His Passion, Death and Resurrection.
These were introduced by Pope John Paul II in 2002 in the Apostolic Letter entitled Rosarium Virginis Mariae (The Rosary of the Virgin Mary).

Welcome Home Dalona! Yippiedoodles! Congratulations! Ain’t it grand?

If you keep coming here and utlizing not only this Forum, but the parent website of Catholic Answers, you will become a wonderful Catholic in no time flat. 👍

May the Lord bless you and keep you;
May He show His face to you and have mercy on you;
May He look upon you with kindness and grant you His peace.

The best thing you could possibly do to help you grow in faith is pray your Rosary. Read your Bible and pray always. I’m a convert too and I think one prayer that was particularly helpful was simply this one: “Lord, I do beleive, heal my unbelief.”

Peace and all good,

Thomas2

40.png
Thomas2:
Welcome Home Dalona! Yippiedoodles! Congratulations! Ain’t it grand?

If you keep coming here and utlizing not only this Forum, but the parent website of Catholic Answers, you will become a wonderful Catholic in no time flat. 👍

May the Lord bless you and keep you;
May He show His face to you and have mercy on you;
May He look upon you with kindness and grant you His peace.

The best thing you could possibly do to help you grow in faith is pray your Rosary. Read your Bible and pray always. I’m a convert too and I think one prayer that was particularly helpful was simply this one: “Lord, I do beleive, heal my unbelief.”

Peace and all good,

Thomas2
Thank you very much for all of your
encouragement and advice…
I feel that I am at a definite crossroads of sorts in my life…
I genuinely do enjoy hearing Mother Angelica and the nuns
pray the Holy Rosary on EWTN-
and to my utter amazement I find such peace-
and find the ritual of meditating on the Mysteries
induces a deep trance-like mind state.
As well I then feel better-prepared
to hear the beautiful Mass that usually follows.
This is a private thing for me at present time;
but I pray that Our Lord shall grant me the courage to
“go public” soon.
Peace be with all.
Humbly,
“D” 🙂

I will keep you in my prayers, and particularly offer your intentions when I pray the Rosary. God bless you as you make the journey home! Since you watch EWTN, you may want to watch a show hosted by Marcus Grodi called The Journey Home…it’s on Monday nights at 8:00 p.m., EDT and repeated on Saturday nights at 11:00 p.m. go to www.ewtn.com for your local time listings.

Peace,

40.png
dalonia:
Thank you very much for all of your
encouragement and advice…
I feel that I am at a definite crossroads of sorts in my life…
I genuinely do enjoy hearing Mother Angelica and the nuns
pray the Holy Rosary on EWTN-
and to my utter amazement I find such peace-
and find the ritual of meditating on the Mysteries
induces a deep trance-like mind state.
As well I then feel better-prepared
to hear the beautiful Mass that usually follows.
This is a private thing for me at present time;
but I pray that Our Lord shall grant me the courage to
“go public” soon.
Peace be with all.
Humbly,
“D” 🙂
Phatmass.com has a convert anonymous board for people thinking about converting or who just converted. Come for a visit.

40.png
dalonia:
calm and contented.
Keep on praying the Rosary, the devil hates it, Saint Padre Pio said the “The Rosary is the weapon” :blessyou: on your journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back