NFP and medication use

  • Thread starter Thread starter taye
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

taye

Guest
I understand that if one needs to use medications which carry a significant risk to the unborn (miscarriage/birth defects), the couple should practice NFP. However, when one is using a medication which may or may not cause m/c, what should that person do? Does this person need to use NFP indefinitely or until the meds are stopped?

Also, if one is prescribed strong medication which would likely cause miscarriage, and one has recently ovulated and may be pregnant, should this person wait out a few days to be “safe”? Even if this should put the person in danger of death if they do not use them?

I’m sorry if my worry-ness came out in my post. I’m needing to start medications which may have caused a m/c in the past and it scares me. I still have trouble forgiving myself for continuing their use during pregnancy (when I clearly shouldn’t have). If you don’t mind saying a prayer for me, I’d appreciate it!! Scruples…
 
any of those situations is a legit reason to practice NFP. you might also simply trust in God, do what you must for your own health, and let the fate of any children be in his hands. neither choice is sinful. What you cannot do of course is artificially prevent conception or terminate a pregnancy for any reason. You know that or you would not be asking. May I suggest for such questions, which border on medical advice, you consult your doctor, a pro-life doctor, and your priest. When you go to Judie Brown’s mailbox on EWTN she has a referral to such a doctor who has been very helpful, and a search of her FAQs may even turn up a past answer to your questions

If you are or may be pg your doctor has to know that it is critical that you communicate this concern, and his choice of treatment should take it into account.
 
I just want to make sure I understand this right… You can take any kind of medication, including one that may put a baby at risk while seeking pregnancy? And if you were to become pregnant, you’d have to see your doctor to determine what to do next?
 
I just want to make sure I understand this right… You can take any kind of medication, including one that may put a baby at risk while seeking pregnancy? And if you were to become pregnant, you’d have to see your doctor to determine what to do next?
You can NEVER take Pregnancy Category “X” medications. Those are ALWAYS harmful, many are lethal, to the baby and cannot be justified.

Pregnancy Category “C” or “D” medications can be justified, as they may or may not affect the unborn baby (it’s just a possibility), via Puzzleannie’s reasoning. Choose either to leave it in God’s hands, or use NFP. 🙂

Pregnancy Category “A” and “B” are almost always safe for baby, with only minor side effects if any. There’s no problem here.

You can find the drug’s category on Wikipedia and a handful of other sites.
 
Taking medications for a serious health concern you have, that still carry risks for an unborn child, is a far cry from intentionally destroying him. But no one on CAF is allowed to give medical advice, so always talk to your doctor about that.
 
I just want to clarify a few things… My health problems aren’t serious, but I do realize that if I leave them untreated, I could be compromising my long-term health. The drugs aren’t abortifacents or anything, but there is very little info about the effects on the unborn.
 
Please talk with your priest and a medical health professional. Medical questions can not be asked nor answered on CAF.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top