S
Son_of_Jonah
Guest
I’m taking part this year in a Theology of the Body study group at the university from which I graduated this spring. ToB has been an interest of mine for some time, so I’m enjoying the opportunity to take part and help “teach” the younger college students coming through the group.
One of the members of our group, a good friend of mine for a few years now, is also a graduate, currently in his second year of med school, and he’s Methodist. Last night the subject of artificial contraception came up, and through my rather intense reading of the boards here, I was able to engage him in the dialogue. On the philosophical/theological differences between using contraception to prevent birth versus using NFP to elicit the same effect I was ok. He still struggles to accept that there is a difference because the means are artificial (and, thus, illicit) and that they therefore thwart the procreative teleology of the sex act, but where he really got hung up was on his insistence that NFP is vastly inferior at actually preventing pregnancy.
He used as an example a couple in which the wife has lupus. He says that, in 75% of cases, a woman with this disorder who gets pregnant will die, as will the child, so the use of artificial contraception should be licit in this case, especially as the chances of getting pregnant are so much lower if the ABC is used properly. I insisted that NFP, used properly is actually more effective, but he - rather heatedly - insisted that this is absolutely medically proven otherwise, that the science behind NFP is VASTLY inferior to ABC. Furthermore, he likened the use of ABC in this case to the use of antibiotics, claiming that God gave us the tools and the knowledge to use medicine in cases such as these, and that as He is the author of medical science, ABC should be licit.
What I’m asking is how I might better approach this topic. Next week the issue of NFP WILL come up again, so I’d like to be prepared to offer him statistics if possible, so if anyone knows where I can find this information, or even has practical advice of their own to give me to help approach this situation, I would be greatly appreciative. My friend is a good man, and genuinely curious about the Faith, though contraceptives are something of a sticking point, so if I can help him at all in this process I would deeply love to do so.
Thanks again.
Simon Peter
One of the members of our group, a good friend of mine for a few years now, is also a graduate, currently in his second year of med school, and he’s Methodist. Last night the subject of artificial contraception came up, and through my rather intense reading of the boards here, I was able to engage him in the dialogue. On the philosophical/theological differences between using contraception to prevent birth versus using NFP to elicit the same effect I was ok. He still struggles to accept that there is a difference because the means are artificial (and, thus, illicit) and that they therefore thwart the procreative teleology of the sex act, but where he really got hung up was on his insistence that NFP is vastly inferior at actually preventing pregnancy.
He used as an example a couple in which the wife has lupus. He says that, in 75% of cases, a woman with this disorder who gets pregnant will die, as will the child, so the use of artificial contraception should be licit in this case, especially as the chances of getting pregnant are so much lower if the ABC is used properly. I insisted that NFP, used properly is actually more effective, but he - rather heatedly - insisted that this is absolutely medically proven otherwise, that the science behind NFP is VASTLY inferior to ABC. Furthermore, he likened the use of ABC in this case to the use of antibiotics, claiming that God gave us the tools and the knowledge to use medicine in cases such as these, and that as He is the author of medical science, ABC should be licit.
What I’m asking is how I might better approach this topic. Next week the issue of NFP WILL come up again, so I’d like to be prepared to offer him statistics if possible, so if anyone knows where I can find this information, or even has practical advice of their own to give me to help approach this situation, I would be greatly appreciative. My friend is a good man, and genuinely curious about the Faith, though contraceptives are something of a sticking point, so if I can help him at all in this process I would deeply love to do so.
Thanks again.
Simon Peter