G
Good_Daughter
Guest
Thanks for sharing your experience with the cervical sign. Even if I were to use it, it would only be as a crosscheck. When I’m trying to avoid pregnancy, I just can’t ignore fertile-type mucus, no matter what my cervical sign might indicate.In my personal experience, I gave up using the cervical sign at all before having children as I could barely (if at all) reach my never-given-birth-before cervix to check its characteristics. Others’ experiences may differ. Later, during highly irregular cycles during the return of fertility after childbirth, I found that use of cervical signs (softness, height, openness) was more useful for determining end of fertile phase than for beginning of fertile phase. I had an unplanned pregnancy due to over-reliance on the cervical sign, putting too little emphasis on hard-to-interpret mucus patterns, and did not get sufficient advance warning of approaching fertility. Again, others’ experience may differ.
As for the lengthy amount of abstinence, as I said before, 23 days seems unnecessarily long to me. The longest my husband and I have ever abstained to postpone pregnancy is three to three and a half weeks, during the special case of return of fertility after childbirth. You may need longer abstinence of six or seven weeks for physical recovery immediately after your first childbirth, fewer weeks after successive births, but that depends on your physical comfort level and not postponing-pregnancy reasons.
If you are taking your temperature as part of the STM method, you should have a good idea when temperature rises are taking place so as to use the Doering rule (again, after sufficient numbers of cycle history) to lengthen phase 1 and reduce abstinence there. And then some women have odd, all-the-time mucus which MAY be ignored under certain conditions. Please DON’T take my word for it. Look up all the conditions and caveats for when that latter approach can be used. And I, too, have heard of “a carrot a day” to help make mucus signs easier to interpret.
Best wishes,
Christine
I have no STM instructors in my area so I rushed to look up the Doering Rule in my CCL manual after reading your first post. I had a short cycle (29 days) about four cycles ago which eliminates Doering for me, unfortunately. I think I would have the same reservations about the rule as I do with cervical sign, though. I can’t be confident of infertility in the presence of fertile-type mucus.
I do own Fertility, Cycles & Nutrition and I am working through Shannon’s suggestions for normalizing cycles. I know my best bet for reducing abstinence is to try and clear up phase one “background mucus” especially since it presents itself as fertile. Until I do, I’ll keep abstaining through most of phase one just to be safe.
Wouldn’t a carrot a day turn your skin a bit orange?