HouseArrest, six was the number of surviving children they had I think. It was suggested that was about a nice number of kids to have and that lady was very happy with her family.
Okay that’s different - she was just telling you her experience, not trying to plan your family for you… makes sense now.
They are all grown up and a great source of pride, satisfaction and I suppose help, to her. Yes an exact number would be weird. She was giving us a ballpark figure. In our place in the world a normal number of kids would be two, three-ish is considered almost large, four kids will raise eyebrows or get sympathy. Five will arouse anger from those who feel they are supporting you in some way through tax even though the husband works, etc. Five or more is quite an odd-ball, you-must-be-Catholic or socially irresponsible kind of number.
***Yeah that’s our place in the world as well - but who cares? I get it all - sympathy, eyeballed, anger, etc. when I’m out and about with our seven… certainly that shouldn’t play into deciding the number that is right for us… there are so many areas where we Catholics are counter culture that this is nothing… wait until you have to pull your kids out of health class or try to get to Mass while on vacation with non Catholics…***In fact, that lady, she was the honest one. She said if nature takes its course, to plan for a large family and she was right.
I think there is danger in comparing though. I suspect that some couples that have more “success” with these methods might also just happen to be less fertile. I only need to smile at my wife and we’re expecting. Wish it was transferable to the unlucky couples who want to conceive and can’t.
***Some might, but some might not. I know we didn’t get serious about NFP until we were really ready to be done which is what I think happens most often. So for years we had a baby every 17 months, but magically we didn’t have one over the year my sister got married, and magically we have not had a baby in three years now… it’s not our fertility, it is what we’re doing with it. I would imagine for those with serious health issues during pregnancy fertility doesn’t matter much… still have to be conservative… ***
tapiocapudding, this was my reason for the thread. You tried “a very lax ‘form’ of NFP” and it didn’t work as you’d hoped. No matter how complicated you make it, it all comes down to sperm meeting egg and what day you do it. Why would you expect it to “work” much better next time? Maybe you are just a fertile couple, like us. Depending on what you’re going through, abstinence may be your only real option until you’re sure there’ll be food in the fridge next week. By the time you find the “right” method, you could have ten kids! I’d trust your own track record with it and plan for absinence or even better, more kids. Two isn’t very many, and Baby 2.0 (lol) may just well sleep through from very early. Has happened before.
Every baby isn’t necessarily a user failure… many people do use NFP successfully…
Seems to me that a reversal at some stage would be a very moral act. To confess it and keep it like it is is a bit like a bank robber robbing a bank, confessing it but keeping the money. That’s how I feel about it anyway. I also feel in some ways not quite whole and “neutred” since having it done. Obviously if I can go to confession about it, it can be forgiven? Will go for sure. Thanks!