Nice thing done for our soldiers. Read here

• Thread starter Thread starter legeorge
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

legeorge

My Uncle (Vietnam Vet) e-mailed this to me. I thought everyone would like it. I don’t know much about Denzel’s character, or the usual charities he is involved in, but this is a nice story.
Don’t know whether you heard about this but Denzel was visiting Brooks Army Medical Center (BAMC), in San Antonio,Texas the other day. This is where soldiers that have been evacuated from Germany come to be hospitalized in the States, especially burn victims. They have buildings there called Fisher Houses. The Fisher House is a hotel where soldiers’ families can stay, for little or no charge, while their soldier is staying in the hospital. BAMC has quite a few of these houses on base but as you can imagine, they are almost completely filled most of the time.
While Denzel Washington was visiting BAMC, they gave him a tour of one of the Fisher Houses. He asked how much one of them would cost to build. He took his check book out and wrote a check for the full amount right on the spot. The soldiers overseas were amazed to hear this story and want to get the word out to the American public, because it warmed their hearts to hear it. I hope you will spread this story.

According to Snopes.com which is a clearing house for internet rumors, Washington did make a substantial donation to Fisher House, but it was after the visit, not on the spot.This in no way diminishes his generousity and support for our troops, but I have seen this before, sometimes claiming that he has a son in the military (not true), and I just like to keep the record straight.
I’m waiting to see a refuation of the latest rumor I’ve heard, that the Pope became a Muslim before he died. I understand that it originated in Egypt, so it might take a while to make it’s way over here, but when it does, Snopes will bust it big time.

There were a lot of pictures that went along with the e-mail. If I knew how to get them from e-mail to the forums, I would. He is posing with a lot of the soldiers and doctors and signing things. A check, or autographs? Whatever, it is nice to see these things sometimes. I felt free to pass it along because I never heard of him endorsing things like abortion or gay marriage, so I felt safe to post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back