Niger Says They Have No Slavery

• Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gilliam

This is from the BBC. No comment is necessary:

The government of Niger has cancelled at the last minute a special ceremony during which at least 7,000 slaves were to be granted their freedom. A spokesman for the government’s human rights commission, which had helped to organise the event, said this was because slavery did not exist.

hat tip

40.png
gilliam:

The government of Niger has cancelled at the last minute a special ceremony during which at least 7,000 slaves were to be granted their freedom. A spokesman for the government’s human rights commission, which had helped to organise the event, said this was because slavery did not exist.

hat tip
Are they actually slaves? Or are some indentured servants? Don’t forget that indentured servitude is not slavery. So its hard to tell if the word ‘slavery’ is being just as loosely used as ‘racist’ or ‘sexist’ or ‘torture’ is being used in today’s distorted media as word-weapons.

40.png
gilliam:

hat tip
😛

Kevin Walker:
Are they actually slaves? Or are some indentured servants? Don’t forget that indentured servitude is not slavery. So its hard to tell if the word ‘slavery’ is being just as loosely used as ‘racist’ or ‘sexist’ or ‘torture’ is being used in today’s distorted media as word-weapons.
These people seem to be slaves. They can’t “pay off” any servitude.

see:
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/4250709.stm

Niger is one of the most islamic black countries in Africa, and slavery is legal in facts.

40.png
gilliam:
These people seem to be slaves. They can’t “pay off” any servitude.

see:
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/4250709.stm
" ‘Pay Off’ any servitude"? I don’t think you understand the difference between indentured servitude and slavery?

National Geographic did an article on Slavery last year, but most of the examples cited in their magazine were actually examples of indentured servitude in Africa and India, and National Geographic meekly admited this fact.

Indentured Servitude is the process where one learns a skill from a master tradesman and involves living with the master’s family to learn that trade and receives free room and board while contributing labor to the property’s upkeep: indentured servants receive pay, can own property, can attend a church of their choice, can vote, and can leave anytime they want. But indentured servants are usually discouraged from getting married. Families pay a lot of money or wait a long time and are lucky to have a son to be an indentured servant. The unions today in America are directly descended from the custom of indentured servitude.

None of the above exists with slavery, and slavery is inherently evil and malign. But in today’s politically correct hysterical media which confuses a fistfight with a riot, or interrogation with torture, the use of the term ‘slavery’ might also be sheer exaggeration.

nope, that is not what is happening in Niger. Read the second article I cited.

40.png
gilliam:
nope, that is not what is happening in Niger. Read the second article I cited.
Just as I suspected, the article used the term ‘Bonded Servitude’ which is worse than indentured servitude, but it still is not slavery.

Revisionists are trying to claim white slavery existed in the New World because of all the Irish ‘bonded servitude’ in Jamaica and the West Indies. But indentured or bonded servitude are not slavery and is just politically correct hype.

I’m sure slavery does exist in Niger, but not to the extent as reported in that BBC article.

Let’s see, you are traided and sold for life. Your kids are taken away and sold to others for life. There is no chance of excape. There is no contract, nothing. What would you call it if not slavery?

40.png
gilliam:
Let’s see, you are traided and sold for life. Your kids are taken away and sold to others for life. There is no chance of excape. There is no contract, nothing. What would you call it if not slavery?
That is slavery. But the term “bonded labor” was used in that BBC article, and that is not slavery.

In my poor neighborhood of South Boston, we frequently worked in lieu of payment or to work off a debt. In my martial arts training, I was an indentured servant to my Sensei for a few weeks of specialized training, and was very lucky to get it.

Granted that bonded labor is worse than indentured servitude, but it is still not slavery. Typical liberal generalization causing rumor to fester into fact.

So it appears that there is some slavery happeing in Niger getting mixed up with bonded labor.

40.png
gilliam:
If you look at what the people are actually going through in the article: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/4250709.stm

it is slavery
Yes, I read the entire article. The actual slavery was emphasized, but no photographs of bonded labor in practice. Nothing wrong with bonded labor, so why did they exclude it if they’re generalizing it along with slavery.

No doubt there is slavery going on, but not to the extent as reported in the article (or by screaming liberals).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back