Night Shift - Saturday or Sunday off?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pierre_caron
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pierre_caron

Guest
Just looking for opinion between two options. I am looking for perspectives.

I am looking into beginning to work night shifts for this summer (I am a student). On Sunday, I would be sleeping from around 7:30 AM to 3:30PM and attending Saturday Vigil Mass the night before. To honour the day of rest, would it make more sense to refrain from working:
  1. Saturday 10:30PM- Sunday 7:00AM or,
  2. Sunday 10:30PM- Monday 7:00AM?
I am trying to decide which period of time I should dedicate as the day of rest. If this could be considered Saturday evening to Sunday evening, it would probably make most sense to go with Option 1. Option 2 would mean starting work a few hours after Mass (all night), then sleeping, then spending all of Sunday night as a day of rest until the sun rises Monday morning. Seems like quite the stretch. Just wanted to hear some imput. Thanks.
 
What is your schedule the rest of the week after working that night shift? For me that would figure in as well, though from my past experience I would likely also go with the Saturday work option.
 
Hello.

What sort of work will you be doing? I work every other weekend, at night, I’m a nurse, and I’m completely exhausted at the end of my shift. Some other lines of work aren’t that intense and others are even more stressful. Something to take into consideration.
 
If you can skip the Saturday into Sunday shift, go for it!
(Plus it will free up your weekend more).
That’s awesome if your boss will allow it…
 
I would say it depends on the rest of your schedule. If you can take Monday off, than the sat-to-sunday makes the most sense. Try to give yourself the biggest chunk of consecutive time off possible.
 
  1. Saturday 10:30PM- Sunday 7:00AM or,
  2. Sunday 10:30PM- Monday 7:00AM?
In terms of complying with the Sunday observance requirement, it makes no difference. Do what fits in best with your weekday schedule. @crenfro has given you good advice.
What sort of work will you be doing? I work every other weekend, at night, I’m a nurse, and I’m completely exhausted at the end of my shift. Some other lines of work aren’t that intense and others are even more stressful. Something to take into consideration.
 
Last edited:
I’m an RN as well. I’ve also been an Air Force K9 handler. Both have required 12 hour shifts at some point, day and night. As a cop I’ve even worked rotating shifts (which is as close to hell on earth as I’d care to get).

I don’t think the type of work has much to do with it. We’re not designed for a flopped sleep schedule, so it doesn’t matter if you’re an RN or working the overnight shift at Walmart organizing clothing racks and checking out customers. Night shift work is exhausting regardless (even those who think it’s their jam, and I’m actually one of them, research says we’re not built for it). I’ve come home nearly as tired from a very slow night as I have a night where I literally didn’t visit the potty for 12 hours because I didn’t get a chance.

Being a night watchman can be as exhausting as running around for 12 hours.

Xanthippe is on target with giving yourself the longest “off” you have, which is why I asked what the rest of the week looks like.
 
Last edited:
As someone who worked full time nights for 4 years, I’d say work Sunday night. You will be thankful for a decent weekend with your friends/family who have normal M-F 9-5 schedules after awhile!
 
Last edited:
It somewhat depends on what the mass times available in your area are as well, and your personal abilities. Personally, I found that I was unable to go to sleep immediately after going home, and the latest local vigil Mass was at 4:30pm. But we had a lot of early morning Mass options, so it was easier to go after work.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top