FM, perhaps this is not how you intend to come off, but your posts in this thread are coming off as a little arrogant (“Wake up and smell the sulfur…”, “It’s not my fault you are spiritually blinded”, “
You could think objectively”, etc.). You seem to be implying that those of us who do not think rock music is inherently satanic are somehow irrational and far inferior to your reasoned and objective intellect. It’s off-putting to say the least. If you sincerely believe what you say, you might want to try a different strategy if you hope to change anyone’s mind.
BTW the whole thing about the Church Christianizing Pagan culture goes into a very risque area of reasoning–hinting to gods seducing virgins to make demigods, saints being like lesser gods, and angels being like fairies or some historical deconstructivist bull.
Statements like this do nothing to address the points that I made but it simply dismisses them. The fact is, the Church
does take those parts of cultures that are not contrary to the faith and utilizes them. There is no scandal in that. I’m not sure what that has to do with “gods seducing virgins”.
I thought
my previous post raised three very good points. I did my best to do so in a logical, easy-to-follow manner. And yet, you did not address any of them. Why is that?
I forgot about the sexual slang that is “rock ‘n’ roll”!
Which, again, does not prove anything. Even if it did, would that mean heavy metal and rap are okay as those terms do not have the same origins?
It definitely should not be the sound played for liturgical music. Mass music is not supposed to be entertaining, nor is it to stimulate the base appetites and make you want to boogie-woogie, as the Mass is about Christ’s death and resurrection.
This is a definite red herring. No where on this thread is anyone advocating that rock music be played at Mass (in fact, I would agree that it
should not be played at Mass). But simply because it is not appropriate for Mass does not automatically mean it is “from the devil.” That would be a very large leap in logic.
Folk Rock like Simon and Garfunkel or Peter, Paul and Mary, when not having drug or sex references or innuendo, might be a different story in that they probably don’t stir up base passions.
Right here you admit to the possibility that some rock might not be evil, which seems to suggest that you aren’t fully convinced of your own assertion.
This girl, who was into witchcraft, was a beautiful Catholic soul until the time she was listening to U2.
This generic example does nothing to prove your point. In fact, if anything, it only hurts your argument. Lots of people leave the Catholic Church for many different reasons. First, you have not provided us with nearly enough information to suggest that the
reason she got into witchcraft was
because of U2’s music. Second, even if it
was because of the music, at best you could say that
U2’s music is inherently of the devil. You could not make the assertion that
all rock music is inherently of the devil. Third, if listening to this music had such an effect
in and of it’s nature, I would expect
all (or at least
most) of U2’s fanbase to be into witchcraft. If that is true, I would like to see the statistics to back that up.
So far, you have offered no convincing evidence that rock music is inherently evil. In
my previous post, I raised several counter-arguments which you failed to respond to. If you would like to address them, I’m still waiting.