Nine day mourning period

• Thread starter Thread starter RCF
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RCF

Hello. Of course, the entire Church is in mourning now. However, regarding the “official mourning period” I am confused. The EWTN website clearly states that the 9 days begins upon death of a Pope and indeed includes the day on which the Pope dies. However, other sources (Even Raymond Arroyo on EWTN) seems to say the 9 days begin on the day of the funeral. Does anyone know which it is?

Mostly curious.

God bless.

Mourning the Pope

An official mourning period of nine days, called the Novendiales*, begins when a Pope dies. The day of death is counted as the first day of this period. On each of these nine days the Mass of each Cardinal must be a funeral rite for the Pope. The Missal provides a Mass formula “For a Deceased Pope,” and the Liturgy of the Hours an Office of the Dead, which can be used during this time, if the liturgical season permits. In 2005, since Pope John Paul II died during the Octave of Easter, the initial rites celebrated for him observed the liturgical precedence which the Octave of Easter, the Sundays of Easter and Solemnities which are Holy Days have. However, excluding Sundays, the Mass formula for a deceased Pope, and the Office of the Dead with propers, can be celebrated as of Tuesday 5 April.

Prior to his burial, and following private rites in the Sistine Chapel, the Pope is laid in state in St. Peter’s Basilica, permitting the faithful to pay their respects. In Pope John Paul II’s case, this was preceded by a period of visitation for the Papal Household, Civil Dignitaries and Diplomats, held in the Clementina Hall of the Apostolic Palace.

After the Funeral and Burial the mourning period continues until the nine days are completed.

*novendiales/novemdiales: From novem (nine) and dies (days), meaning lasting nine days. A religious festival of nine days length, or, the ceremonies honoring a deceased, which in ancient Rome ended on the ninth day of death with a funereal feast (novendialis). The English word novena, for nine days of prayer, shares the same root.

ewtn.com/HolySee/Interregnum/mourning.asp

Thanks. I saw this on EWTN also, but everything else seem to contradict it (Even discussions I’ve heard on EWTN itself).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back