No Bible Studies On Fridays?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fidelis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fidelis

Guest
I would like to start up a new Bible study at my parish (I’ve put together and led several in the past so I’m not new to this). Previously, I’ve done them during the week (usually on Thursdays) and they’ve worked out well, however since I work 10 hour days, it’s always extremely rushed and stressful for me to go straight from work (off at 6:00 PM) and jump straight into leading a 7:00 PM moderated (by me) Bible study. It’s exhausting and rushed and I don’t feel I’m at my best.

I do have Fridays off, so I can’t help thinking that Friday evenings might be a better alternative. I am constantly told, however, that if there is some kind of class or group study on Friday nights, people won’t come.

Is this true, in your experience? Is this only a Catholic thing, since I can drive past any number of non-denominational churches on Friday nights and see lots of cars? What do you think?.
 
I would be surprised if you were to get a good response on Friday’s, particularly if you are thinking about Friday evening. You would likely get some of the older parishioners but if you are hoping to get any of the younger ones or middle aged ones involved who perhaps have young children or are not married yet you are, in my view, swimming upstream by putting the study on Friday night.

Many people who work all week as you do, who also have children, etc. are simply ready for a night where they don’t have anything planned, nothing to worry about waking up for, nothing to make sure is ready for the next work day or school day, etc. Furthermore, if they do have children, oftentimes there are activities for them on Fridays which certainly will affect the schedule of the parents.

Tues or Wed seems to be the best day for getting people involved with anything in my experience.
 
I would like to start up a new Bible study at my parish (I’ve put together and led several in the past so I’m not new to this). Previously, I’ve done them during the week (usually on Thursdays) and they’ve worked out well, however since I work 10 hour days, it’s always extremely rushed and stressful for me to go straight from work (off at 6:00 PM) and jump straight into leading a 7:00 PM moderated (by me) Bible study. It’s exhausting and rushed and I don’t feel I’m at my best.

I do have Fridays off, so I can’t help thinking that Friday evenings might be a better alternative. I am constantly told, however, that if there is some kind of class or group study on Friday nights, people won’t come.

Is this true, in your experience? Is this only a Catholic thing, since I can drive past any number of non-denominational churches on Friday nights and see lots of cars? What do you think?.
Is it a Catholic thing? No, probably not. People tend to go out on Friday nights or during the summer could be leaving town for the weekend Friday night. Monday-Thursday people generally are not socializing as much or readying for a trip.
 
I am unaware of any “Catholic” reason not to hold a bible study on Friday night. However, I agree with the previous posters that Friday nights are generally reserved by most for relaxing. People seem to want to celebrate the end of the work week on Friday night, whether that be staying at home or going out.
 
I I do have Fridays off, so I can’t help thinking that Friday evenings might be a better alternative. I am constantly told, however, that if there is some kind of class or group study on Friday nights, people won’t come.

Is this true, in your experience? Is this only a Catholic thing, since I can drive past any number of non-denominational churches on Friday nights and see lots of cars? What do you think?.
absolutely me, in or out of football season it is simply true

but don’t let that stop you from at least trying it in your parish
you could also take a survey of those expressing an interest in bible study and ask when is a good time for them, you are after a solid commitment.

in our parish there are two meeting spaces, church hall and school cafe
Monday is baptism classes and boy scouts
Tuesday is Jr. High CCD, parent sacramental meetings, adult confirmation, and cub scouts
Wed is HS CCD and youth group which takes up every available inch of space
Thurs is for parish organizations like CDA, Knights, Altar society, parish socials, rosary makers–they have to duke it out to get on the schedule.

The school schedules all their events on Tuesday which boots everything else out except CCD and sometimes forces the cub scouts to share space with us.

Friday is open but usually there are rehearsals in church, and nobody in SoTex goes anywhere except football on Friday night.
we tried to schedule every event imaginable all year on Friday with no success

Saturday AM is CCD which also uses all available space, plus sacramental parent meetings and RCIA
Sunday morning is RCIA, adult confirmation and sometimes remedial CCD

Sunday afternoon is youth confirmaion program

Our bible study groups however and I think there are 11 in Spanish about 20 in English, meet mostly in homes, or some older parishioners meet weekdays in the parish office conference room.

Thursday is also Holy Hour in Church once a month, and Fridays are rosaries, stations and other devotions seasonally in church. in Lent and Advent there are devotions every night but Friday has the least attendance even by the “regulars”
 
You would be defeated before you started if you tried to have a Bible Study in NE Ohio (and many other areas of the country) on a Friday night during HS football season:)

If there is one night out of the week that people will guard preciously, it’s Friday night. They don’t have to get up the next day, there is usually something sports or family-oriented planned, or they go out of town for the weekend.

For some reason, my parish has Eucharistic Exposition from Friday 9Am to Sat 9AM. They have trouble filing all the spots. I think it’s because of the day of the week they picked.

Now all of this might be sad, but it is what it is, and that’s what you work with.
 
Thank you all for your replies.🙂

I really hadn’t taken the Friday night football factor into consideration. Here in Arizona, that’s also a reality.

As I mentioned, however, I can drive past any number of non-denominational churches on Friday nights and see lots of cars in the parking lots. I wonder how they do it? 🤷
 
Depends whose cars are there. If they are scheduling Friday activities for people who don’t have any other Friday activities, they may be drawing a good number of people.

Years ago, it used to be very common to schedule science fiction shows on Friday nights, because the other slots were already filled and because sf fans were perceived as more likely to stay home on Friday nights. But part of why sf fans were likely to stay home Friday nights or schedule viewing with other fans on Friday nights, was because the networks were always putting sf shows on Friday nights. It was a sort of feedback loop. 🙂
 
Those who are thirsting and searching for God’s truth in His Word will show up on Friday nights. You may get a smaller response on Friday night, but more likely it will be a very dedicated response. You are one of God’s laborers sent in the field that is white unto harvest.

May we remember to pray for you.
 
judging by the fare on TV, people are too busy to watch TV very much, unless it’s a baseball game or something like that.

So, TV probably isn’t a factor. It’s probably the fish fries year-round that get people out or people are out grocery shopping after they cash their paychecks.

You may do well, nevertheless. Some of that is salesmanship on your part.

Have to ask: What is your Bible study like? How much time? what resources do you use, how much of scripture do you cover each time? Do you have prayer? singing?
What background with B-study do your participants have?

Is ther any alternatives for B-study in your parish, by the way?
 
In my parish there is a bible study on Tuesday evenings that is repeated Thursday morning after the daily mass. The Thursday morning study is well attended by retired people and others who don’t work in the morning or who don’t drive after dark. Perhaps you might try a Friday morning bible study and see what happens.
 
The original poster apparently works Monday to Friday, so I’d think somebody else would have to try it.

Maybe you could combine Friday Bible study and Friday potluck dinner. People will listen to anything once their bellies are full. 🙂
 
Have to ask: What is your Bible study like? How much time? what resources do you use, how much of scripture do you cover each time? Do you have prayer? singing?
It varies, study to study. I’ve done Advent/Lent Bible studies, studies on the Sunday readings, and even a 26 week study through Salvation History. I use a broad range of sources: commentaries, study Bibles, and anything that relates to the topic at hand as long as it is from orthodox Catholic sources. Typically we go about two hours, with a break between hours. I always begin and end with a prayer, but have not introduced singing.
What background with B-study do your participants have?
I don’t expect the participants to have any particular background.
Is there any alternatives for B-study in your parish, by the way?
There is a womens Bible study, which meets every two weeks.
 
The original poster apparently works Monday to Friday, so I’d think somebody else would have to try it.

Maybe you could combine Friday Bible study and Friday potluck dinner. People will listen to anything once their bellies are full. 🙂
Actually, I’m off on Fridays, working a four day work-week of 10 hour days. That’s why my preference is Fridays; I have so much more time and energy on that day.

You are right; even modest potlucks are always popular. 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top