No Confiteor?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fieldsparrow
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fieldsparrow

Guest
Today at Mass there was no Confiteor. Did someone just forget, or are there certain Sundays where it is not said?
 
Today at Mass there was no Confiteor. Did someone just forget, or are there certain Sundays where it is not said?
There are three options for the Penitential Rite, of which the Confiteor is one. The priest is free to use the one he wants.
 
What are the others? (I am new to this, obviously.) The Confiteor has been in each of the Masses I’ve attended at this parish so I was expecting it, but we are having Parish Mission week so perhaps they are using different options?
 
Today at Mass there was no Confiteor. Did someone just forget, or are there certain Sundays where it is not said?
In the US, the Penitential Rite can use one of 3 forms.
The Confiteor (I confess to almighty God.…), followed by the Kyrie (Lord have mercy) is only one form.

Form # 2
"Lord, we have sinned against you:Lord have mercy.
R: Lord have mercy
"Lord, show your mercy and love.
R: And grant us your salvation
May almightly God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life.
R: Amen

Form # 3 (*has even a little more leeway as it says the celebrant makes the following **or other *invocations)-

Lord Jesus, you came to gather the nations into the peace of God’s kingdom:Lord have mercy.
R: Lord have mercy
You come in word and sacrament to strengthen us in holiness: Christ have mercy.
R: Christ have mercy
You will come in glory with salvation for your people: Lord have mercy.
R; Lord have mercy
May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life.
R: Amen.

So as long as one of these formulas, or as noted in form #3, some other similar words were spoken, not saying the confiteor is a valid option that is left up to the priest.
 
A priest can also use the rite of blessing the congregation with holy water, which takes the place of the Penitential Rite.
 
Ah! I think we had form #2. Thank you.
Really? I don’t think I’ve ever heard form #2 before (I was at a Mass in French where I think that was what was being said, but not even knowing how it goes in English I was totally lost).
 
There are some Parishes out there where the ‘standard’ Confiteor is almost never used. I know of at least one where Form #3, with various ‘other invocations’ thrown in instead of the written ones, is used almost every week.

Personally, I love the traditional Confiteor (and love the upcoming revised English translation even more). I always feel like something is ‘missing’ from the Mass when it isn’t there, or if I am running a couple minutes late and miss it. In either of these cases I try to say it silently to myself when there is a quiet, prayerful moment later in the Mass.

At my home Parish, it’s a weekly fixture that is only omitted on some special occasions (like the Easter Vigil) where the sprinkling with Holy Water is used instead.

Congratulations on your candidacy! I’m an RCIA ‘graduate’ myself 👍
 
I’m very grateful to hear the Confiteor option more these days.

I can recall that for long stretches in the 1980s and 1990s that it was virtually never used. Option #3 where the priest got to say his own prayer was far more common. (Not, of course, that I am implying this option is wrong or inferior.)

Same thing with Eucharistic Prayers. It used to be that one heard Prayer II (coincidentally :Dthe shortest of the 4 ‘main’ options) nearly always, Prayer III for the ‘bigger’ feasts like Christmas and Easter, and Prayer I (the Roman Canon) only if it happened to be some huge thing like an ordination or was particularly requested for a wedding.

Did I mention how much I’m looking forward to the new ICEL translations this coming November?😃
 
Today at Mass there was no Confiteor. Did someone just forget, or are there certain Sundays where it is not said?
It may depend on the priest. In our parish it is seldom said unless a visiting priest says Mass. In my opinion, it should always be said.
 
I like the traditional Confiteor also.

Can I guess those of you who do not hear this often anymore, are suffering from the effects of that “creative” liturgist in your parish?
 
It may depend on the priest. In our parish it is seldom said unless a visiting priest says Mass. In my opinion, it should always be said.
It’s funny, because it seemed to be the opposite for us today; I am used to hearing the traditional Confiteor and today, with a visiting priest, we used a different option! I like the Confiteor myself. It feels very meaningful.
 
I like the traditional Confiteor also.

Can I guess those of you who do not hear this often anymore, are suffering from the effects of that ***“creative” liturgist ***in your parish?
:rotfl:😃

I had to laugh when I read this because this is part of the problem, I believe, in my community. But it has more to do with trimming the Mass down to the “bare essentials” so that everyone will be out in 55 minutes! 😉
God forbid, Mass is longer than 1 hour!! :eek:

I have noticed the Confiteor option being used more frequently in the past few months during the Sunday liturgy, and it is used everyday at the parish where I usually attend daily Mass.

It will be interesting to see if it will be continued to be used once the new translation goes into to effect. The one critcism that seems to be the loudest in my area is that of the truer
“through my fault, through my fault, through my most grieveous fault…”
Most of the people I talk to have very strong negative feelings about this, I won’t even begin to specualte why? :confused: :rolleyes:
 
At my parish we tend to use Option 3. I think it’s because there are a fair number of musical settings for cantor and choir. If the priest or deacon has a nice voice he can act as the cantor. If not, a lay cantor can lead.

I suppose there are song/chant versions of the Confiteor too but I don’t know any.
 
We use all three forms, and there is no particular reason why that I can see. Depends on who’s saying Mass and what he chooses that day. Last week we said it, today we didn’t.🤷

I don’t have a preference, except that when we say it and get to the part that says “and I ask you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God” it reminds me that it isn’t just something to say, I actually need to pray for those people I am attending Mass with. So I try to say a prayer for everyone at Mass.
 
Personally, for Sundays and Feasts, I would prefer to hear the confeitor, then a chanted/polyphonic Kyrie, but that is only a reality at one church that I know. I’ve never seen it anywhere else.
 
I’m very grateful to hear the Confiteor option more these days. I can recall that for long stretches in the 1980s and 1990s that it was virtually never used. Option #3 where the priest got to say his own prayer was far more common. (Not, of course, that I am implying this option is wrong or inferior.)
I also prefer option 1 (Confitor followed by the Kyrie) over option 3 – I don’t recall ever attending a Mass where option 2 was used. In my experience, if a deacon is serving the Mass, we’ll get option 3 with the deacon proclaiming the invocations. I don’t think that deacons are actually authorized to lead the penitential rite (didn’t see instructions either way in the GIRM – maybe I missed it) but that hasn’t stopped many parishes from regularly using a deacon-led option 3 as the “let’s give the deacon something to do here” option.
 
at our parish it’s only said mainly during lent though i wish it was more as i personally prefer it
 
I also prefer option 1 (Confitor followed by the Kyrie) over option 3 – I don’t recall ever attending a Mass where option 2 was used. In my experience, if a deacon is serving the Mass, we’ll get option 3 with the deacon proclaiming the invocations. I don’t think that deacons are actually authorized to lead the penitential rite (didn’t see instructions either way in the GIRM – maybe I missed it) but that hasn’t stopped many parishes from regularly using a deacon-led option 3 as the “let’s give the deacon something to do here” option.
Technically, anyone can lead the invocations for option 3 (even a lay cantor), as long as the priest is saying the absolution at the end.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top