Hi Am,
Thanks for your comments.
Good observation! I will try to paraphrase John Henry Newman on this:
It’s like there are two ends of the Faith spectrum; Catholicity and Atheism. One’s life journey is aimed in one of those two directions (knowingly or not.) Protestants would be somewhere in the middle, but are they (the member, not the church itself) oriented toward Catholicity or Atheism? That is not to say that one is either one or the other, mind you. Rather one is moving in a direction in one’s Faith.
Therefore an uninvolved Protestant or Catholic, who rarely if ever attends church is obviously progressing toward Atheism. A fervent/devout Protestant is heading toward Catholicity.
Now for whatever reason, people may even become fixed in one spot and not progress at all in either direction. But there is a negative current in this world biasing people toward Atheism, so even to remain fixed requires no little effort.
It would seem that when you combine Newman’s and Msgr. Agius’s comments, you arrive at a concept in which one of the main indicators of a person’s position and direction on the continuum between Catholicism and Athiesm is the degree to which they employ Private Interpretation. The same can be said for denominations and whole cultures. As an example of a whole culture gone awry, we only need to look at Sweden, a country which claims to be 95%+ Lutheran. By any measure there is little Christianity in evidence there. Unfortunately, Europe is not far behind and unfortunately we are not far behind Europe.
Of course the Confessional Protestants (at least as a whole), would tend towards the Catholic end of the scale. On the other end would be the ‘me and my Bible’ Christians who rely on nothing but their own individual interpretation.
It would seem that the general ‘slide’ down the scale from Catholicism to Athiesm is one that takes place over generations and hundreds of years. While it does happen, it seems less likely that freshly minted Atheists arrive at that point from a devout Catholic upbringing. It is more logical that full blown Atheists come from environments where God was ‘less important’. In other words, the ‘movement’ from Catholicism is a multi-generational phenomenon overall. Granted, individuals can move up or down the scale from their cultural beginning point, but the important thing to understand is the overall trend.
My personal struggle to understand God’s Absolute Truth began with a realization of the supreme importance of that Truth. What else could be more important? After several years of very active searching, I came to the realization that the Church is exactly what it claims to be, and yet it still took me quite some time to rid myself of the part of the ego which is very much stroked by the notion of Private Interpretation. The idea that the Holy Spirit leads ME PERSONALLY to correctly understand the doctrines taught in Scripture is VERY seductive. However, it grates against the facts as evidenced by the massive denominalization which is the identifying mark of Protestantism, and especially of the segments which rely the most on Personal Interpretation. This has to create a tension within the individual. The ‘drug’ of Private Interpretation strokes the ego, which will not allow for the release of PI and ‘turn over’ that responsibility to something ‘other’ than the self.
“I know that I am a Christian because of how much I love our risen Lord. The Holy Spirit has been promised to me to lead me into all Truth. Therefore, the Spirit leads me to correctly understand the Bible. This means that people who disagree with me are – well – at the very least – not as ‘well led’ as I am. Therefore it is MY duty to set them all straight.”
This isn’t a Martin Luther quote, but it is his “legacy”, and not one he would be proud of.
As a Catholic who is as loyal to the Church as I know how to be, I view the world completely differently than I did as a Protestant. It is FAR less about me and what I ‘feel’ and MUCH more about God and about His Absolute Truth, which BTW is a Truth that I don’t have to search for anymore. Neither do I have to learn Greek or Hebrew or Aramaic in order to get really good at interpretation. Having found that Truth, now all I have to do is study and learn, and have faith in Christ that He actually did establish a means by which I can know, with certainty, His Truth. All I have to do is explore the fullness of it. This recognition reminds me of bb’s delightful analogy of running to running to the security a mother’s skirt. What a safe haven!
Confessional Protestants probably believe that they can lay claim to having avoided Private Interpretation by their adherence to those Confessions. However, that denies the fact that those Confessions were the Private Interpretations of some historical figure or group. Furthermore, none of them can explain why, specifically and exactly of course, THEIR Confession should be viewed as being ‘better’ than those other Confessions, without using wording that can be just as easily used against them by changing the names of the groups and their Confessions in the explanation. In short, the rational behind the Authority of the Church and the rational behind the ‘authority’ of the various Confessions are COMPLETELY different.
As for me, I have placed my chips on a ‘system’ that actually COULD work in the real world to provide doctrinal certainty, rather than on one which has proven not to be able to.
All that being said Am, how do you see Apostolic Succession fitting into God’s Plan for man to know is Absolute Truth?
God Bless You Am, Topper