B
benjoy07
Guest
Is one without the Holy Spirit until Confirmation?
During Confirmation you receive the grace of the Spirit and His gifts, and become confirmed as a Catholic adult ready to go out there and spread the Gospel, do battle with the enemies of God.
Phillip, a Deacon, baptised the people. Peter and John confirmed the people.OK. My first question was asking if the Holy Spirit is not received until Confirmation. From what I understand by the replies is that we receive the Holy Spirit at Baptism and by doing good things, so if that it accurate, then why Confirmation specifically for receiving the Holy Spirit as in Acts 8:14-17?
(Just so you know, I had a thread about this very question two years ago.)See CCC 1315 (for reference to Acts) and also see 1285, 1302, 1316. Some of your cross references are somewhat vague and could imply Baptism allows us to receive the Holy Spirit but not necessarily received exactly in Baptism. See CCC 984 and that it refers to what happens in Acts 8. CCC 985 refers to Jesus’ Baptism, but He was the only one who received the Holy Spirit during Baptism. After Jesus was resurrected, the Apostles received it from Jesus (John 20:22) and the Apostles continued this.
benjoy07;7561417. That is said:that we also receive the Holy Spirit, yet what I’m being told is that we received the Holy Spirit at Baptism as well. We receive it twice then. Again, I understand the teaching is we “fully” receive the Spirit in Confirmation, which means to me we only receive some of it at baptism. It is difficult to grasp or explain to a non-Catholic. I’ll have to read your older thread @japhy to get better insight, hopefully.
No we recieve the Holy Spirit fully at Baptism, but each Sacrament entails different gifts.
One Spirt, recieved fully, but with different gifts.
In Baptism, we recieve the Holy Spirit, with the gift of cleansing, and the gift of the ability of the Holy Spirit to reside within us.
In Confirmation, we recieve a strengthing, not of the indwelling fo the Holy Spirit, but with our ability to preach and live the Good News.
Look at the case of Apostles, St. Peter clearly had already recived the Holy Spirit when he attested to Christ being the Messiah, the Son of the Living God (Matt 16)
But then look at Pentecost, where the Holy Spirit came again, and granted different gifts to the Aposltes (Acts 2).
We cannot say that Peter did not already have the Holy Spirit in Matt 16, as Christ said that he did, but the Spirit clearly came again and gave added understanding and different gifts.
Does that make sense?
For the benefit of those who did not ready as quickly as benjoy, I had originally written something like this:First, I like the way you phrased it in parenthesis before you abbreviated it. That makes sense to me. I wish CCC would teach it that way.![]()
“The Holy Bible” published by Catholic Press, Inc. 1951@japhy
See CCC 1315 (for reference to Acts) and also see 1285, 1302, 1316. Some of your cross references are somewhat vague and could imply Baptism allows us to receive the Holy Spirit but not necessarily received exactly in Baptism. See CCC 984 and that it refers to what happens in Acts 8. CCC 985 refers to Jesus’ Baptism, but He was the only one who received the Holy Spirit during Baptism. After Jesus was resurrected, the Apostles received it from Jesus (John 20:22) and the Apostles continued this.
@(name removed by moderator)
CCC 1318 says that confirmation still happens immediately after baptism in the east, which may make it seem as one sacrament. I’ve read most of CCC on this sacrament, and I understand it was historically performed together, but then separated more due to bishops (who typically perform confirmation) being unable to attend the growing number of baptisms, which a priest or deacon typically performs.
@Barbkw
I don’t disagree with your comment, but you don’t comment about the Holy Spirit specifically.
@thomas jd
What Bible version has that footnote? I am using the one at www.vatican.va (NAB). That is the first time I see this teaching phrased that way. It is very clear, but I wish the CCC would be as concise.